I don’t like shooters or MMOs, and I love Destiny

Friday, 13th June 2014 12:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Destiny sounds exactly like the sort of nonsense Brenna will loathe and yet we can’t make her get off the PS4 and do some real work.

destiny

Destiny! You’ll forgive me if this article is a bit rushed. You see, I really want to stop working and go play Destiny again.

Activision’s local representatives sent over a Destiny alpha code earlier today and for a few minutes I just stared at it listlessly. I have not been aboard the Destiny hype train, friends. I admit it sounds cool – sort of like a Borderlands MMO – but there were several significant strikes against its name for me, namely:

1. It’s a shooter. I don’t, as a general rule, think much of vanilla shooters.
  2. It’s an MMO. Activision can waffle all it likes; that’s what it is. I’m one of nature’s solos, so.
  3. It’s not coming to PC. Playing a shooter with a control pad? Preposterous! Primitive!
  4. It’s from the developer of Halo. I don’t think much of Halo. I’m sorry.
  5. It’s from the publisher of Call of Duty. I don’t think much of Call of Duty. I’m sorry.

So when the code came I wasn’t even sure I could be bothered hauling my PS4 over to the desk, getting the cables hooked up, messing about remembering my PSN password, entering the code in, waiting for the download… all the barriers to modern gaming one encounters when one has been away or maniacally busy for a few weeks, as I have.

But I did it anyway, because Destiny is just sexy enough that I was pretty sure Pat wouldn’t mind me spending an hour or two with it today (after all, you lot all seem very keen on it despite the limited amount of exposure its had so far) and let me tell you, friends: I will take any opportunity to skive off. I am an Australian.

So picture this: a person who dislikes shooters, MMOs, using a control pad to shoot and the major works of both companies involved in the creation of Destiny. Imagine the ground state of my soul loading the alpha client up. Imagine my face. It is not the face of an impressed person. It is not the face of a person with expectations. it is a person ready to sneeringly perpetuate an existing bias and make cutting remarks about how hype drives the games industry.

Now picture my face about 15 minutes later. It is not the same face. It is a very happy face indeed. Because Destiny is, even in this early state, fucking brilliant.

Read on to find out why Brenna’s suddenly converted to the church of console shooter MMOs.

1. abdooltk

I want this game only
    BloodBorne new leaked gameplay

#1 3 months ago
  2. Ghostly

“It’s not coming to PC. Playing a shooter with a control pad? Preposterous! Primitive!”

love you brenna

#2 3 months ago
  3. Eregol

I hate to think what they had to cut out so you can play with female avatars.

#3 3 months ago
  4. silkvg247

Brenna – I’m surprised you’re OK with controllers. Do you have big hands? I can’t get on with them at all, it’s impossible to maintain a steady comfortable grip; especially the PS4 controllers where it’s a case of constantly having thumbs slide off the tips.

That’s the main reason games like this HAVE to be PC for me. Hopefully one day Destiny will make the jump.

#4 3 months ago
  5. silkvg247

@Eregol – Didn’t you hear? Males are no longer a playable option. That’s what they cut.

#5 3 months ago
  6. DeBriefBarbie

great article Brenna – pretty much touched on all my concerns and ground them in the dirt! waiting now for the alpha to download – only 22% more until I can enter the world of Destiny! I didn’t need to study today anyway…

#6 3 months ago
  7. polygem

Destiny looks like tons of fun. The artdirection is spot on. Bungie is behind it. It will be tons of fun.

#7 3 months ago
  8. undermyrules

fps on controler mmo …..thats gonna be it downfall…..Homefront all the way

#8 3 months ago
  9. Luciferous

@Eregol Even though i keep hearing riffs on this on pretty much every game… ever.

I still (and probably will always) have a good chuckle.

As for Destiny… Brenna’s experience are mirroring my own at the moment.

I’m currently waiting for a friend to finishing downloading the client so we can kick but together.

#9 3 months ago
  10. zoopdeloop

great read!
    i had pretty much the same experience as you Brenna with FFXIV:ARR.
    Destiny is definitely a contender.Bungie seem to have put a lot of work in it as well as soul (something very rare in this industry).
    Last year’s E3 people went supposedly nuts with a “generic” game which lacked soul…Titanfall,while few(myself included) were excited about “generic” Destiny which showed that it had one.

#10 3 months ago
  11. TheWulf

I liked Mass Effect 3′s multiplayer.

What bothers me is how creatively bankrupt it is. The setting is dreary, the lore is derivative, and the aesthetic is outright stolen (as I pointed out, there are some armours in the game that look exactly like CASTs from Phantasy Star Online 2, and frames from Warframe). I’m not cool with wholesale theft, I can respect something being INSPIRED by, but that’s different to what they’re doing.

The end result is just a grab bag of things that don’t really mesh together, visually, on any level. It reminds me of the sorts of shenanigans that Blizzard pulls. I mean, most people are extroverts, and thus not creative, let alone artists. I can understand that. But for an artistic person, a lack of overall aesthetic cohesion is annoying, and seeing that that lack of cohesion is happening because it’s using assets damn nearly directly stolen from other games is even more annoying.

I remember how hard of a time indie games get when they do that, by taking sounds from other games, or assets, and just altering them a little, or distorting them, so that they can claim originality. I’ve seen modders get shit for that. But if a mainstream developer like Bungie does it? It’s all roses. It’s not fair at all.

Honestly, if I were SEGA or Digital Extremes, I’d file a suit against Bungie. I’d even team up with the other and grab a bunch of assets to use as a comparison to show just how entirely stolen Destiny’s mixed up, confused, almost non-aesthetic is.

That this bothers no one else is depressing.

We should praise games like Warframe and PSO for coming up with these unique aesthetics, we shouldn’t be praising the developer who’s ripping them off.

#11 3 months ago
  12. Gheritt White

@TheWulf You’re depressing.

#12 3 months ago
  13. jmg24bad

I was the same. I thought this game looked fucking boring in the reveals. I played the alpha however…. and good lawd it’s fun

#13 3 months ago
  14. salarta

Destiny’s been fun so far, I only got an hour in yesterday.

I only ran into one person while I was playing. I think it was just bad timing on my part. I should look into whether or not you keep your Alpha character if you buy the game; if not, it seems like a waste of time to me to build up a character I can’t keep. It’s understandable why Bungie wouldn’t allow it, but it would feel like a waste.

Only times I died were trying to fight a special instance Devil Walker in a side area by myself (note to everyone: don’t fight a special instance Devil Walker in a side area by yourself), and falling because I tried to see if I could double jump over a gap between two sections of broken upraised highway.

The game is actually extremely generous with NPC behavior and not dying, at least for the first mission area. There are plenty of times where I SHOULD have died, but all it took to not die was getting behind some cover and sitting there for a while. The enemies would never come around that corner to try and finish me off.

The story boss of the first area was annoying, but beaten quickly with my character’s special ability.

#14 3 months ago
  15. game_on

So someone doesn’t like shooters and MMO’s, but loves Destiny? I gues this game must be crap in both departments then…

#15 3 months ago
  16. Legendaryboss

:lol: Oh you! :lol:

#16 3 months ago
  17. GK

i am trying alpha now,and it is nothing special.boring gameplay,world is shite,graphics nothing special.overrated.

#17 3 months ago
  18. undermyrules

@GK +1

#18 3 months ago
  19. fearmonkey

Brenna, Have you ever played Borderlands 2? It looks to me like Destiny is much like Borderlands 2 , and I loved that game. I didnt care for Borderlands, but it’s sequel was amazing, and one of the most addictive games I had played in a long time,.

#19 3 months ago
  20. salarta

@fearmonkey In my own experience with the game so far, Borderlands was loot-heavy, while Destiny isn’t so much. During the first mission, I got a couple pieces of armor, but I didn’t get any new weapons until I went to the Tower and got a freebie for my first time talking to one of the shops.

#20 3 months ago
  21. GK

there is almost no loot.just bullets packs after you kill dumb AI.i kill boss and don’t get any loot :/

#21 3 months ago
  22. BrokenSpline

Yeah this is pretty much a flashier Borderlands with little to no loot or humor. Its like playing Borderlands 1 with reduced loot but its pretty. I cancelled my preorder. Evolve looks far more interesting.

#22 3 months ago
  23. dazedonthemoon

@fearmonkey
    It is and isn’t at the same time. The idea of loot is Borderlandsish but it executed differently. I didn’t think Borderlands once playing the Alpha yet.

You can tell even at this early stage that Bungie put a lot of hard work and love in this game. It’s pretty rad.

#23 3 months ago
  24. dazedonthemoon

@BrokenSpline
    Perhaps cause it’s Alpha and just jumps you in. There is no real story or campaign yet. This is just to work out bugs and make sure stuff works. I imagine the loot system isn’t even in full effect. This is a test. Stop being overdramatic.

#24 3 months ago
  25. salarta

@dazedonthemoon That’s my current takeaway as well. It’s an Alpha, the whole point of Alpha is to get people testing it and giving their feedback. They may have plans to incorporate loot more in the final product, and if they don’t, people can send them feedback to say they want more loot in the final product.

Some of these people are acting like the Alpha is the final product, nothing about it can ever possibly be changed even with feedback, and they’re getting a chance to play a $60 game for free just because.

Honestly, I’m not surprised, I’ve seen this behavior before many times. It’s why some companies don’t even provide betas at all, or are very very selective of who gets to do them. If you’re not selective enough, you end up with people that act like this isn’t still a work in progress and won’t give feedback for any problems found, they’ll just go online somewhere and tell people it’s bad.

#25 3 months ago
  26. BrokenSpline

@dazedonthemoon

You do realize the game is coming out in 4 months right? Unless they are keeping a much more solid build for them to play internally this is exactly what you are getting. The last 4 months are squashing bugs, giving it to the console manufacturers to then creating a gold build.

#26 3 months ago
  27. GK

alpha,alpha,alpha,who cares? game is gonna be release in less then 3 month.and after two weeks is gonna be Beta.game is almost empty.in alpha,beta you have to fix all bugs.i don’t think they gonna fix all bugs,and that emptiness.you can see games with 6+ month ultil release get beta and they don’t fix everything.

#27 3 months ago
  28. dazedonthemoon

@BrokenSpline
    So you think this game is 6.7 gigs final product? You’re Fucking crazy. This is just a cutaway of the real game. Think of it as a closed off space for testing. You an GK are being silly.

#28 3 months ago
  29. BrokenSpline

@dazedonthemoon

Hey, if you want to throw money at it in hopes of a different product that is your business. My years of experience in software development knows what it takes to make a product and where a product should be.
    If you can show me a quote or even videos showing that this is some demo version of the actual game, please, enlighten me. The reality is all videos have shown the same exact footage and the game only has 4 months to go for release. Even less than that because they have to send it off to Sony and MS for verifying before being sold.

The beta is also coming in exactly a month so we will see but I have my doubts that Bungie is hiding a “fun” build especially when I am not the only one with these criticisms and Bungie is not coming out with a rebuttal.

#29 3 months ago
  30. dazedonthemoon

@BrokenSpline
    Cause we’ve seen countless videos already of story And immersion that isn’t in this build. Also we’ve seen videos with all kinds of elements like customizing your weapons and leveling then up in different ways that aren’t in the Alpha. Nothing about this is the final product. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if this alpha build completely a long time ago.

#30 3 months ago
  31. BrokenSpline

@dazedonthemoon

I don’t see a link. I see you writing bs but not actual proof of such. I want to see actual videos of gameplay not trailers that been thrown into after effects and snipped and edited to show the “best” parts either.

The beta is out in a month so we will see what you say rings true but I find it hard to believe they put out a stripped version of the game to allow criticisms such as mine to float around and be misinformed. As I said I am not the only one with these criticisms plenty of journalists have said as such as well.

#31 3 months ago
  32. dazedonthemoon

@BrokenSpline
    Chilax guy, no need to be a prick, im at work, i dont exactly have all the time in the world to cater to proving you wrong.

right off the back i remember the 2013 E3 demo… which is exactly the same as the alpha build we are playing. So an entire year passes and they are sitting around doing nothing??? Cause the game looks and plays exactly like this demo, environments are exactly the same. THIS IS WHAT WE ARE PLAYING. An early build of the game. Its just a taste. You’re crazy to think an entire year goes by and they are just twiddling their thumbs. Obviously we will have more worlds to visit but even that doesnt cover the amount of time. Can’t wait to see this game play with the story added and weaving throughout.

#32 3 months ago
  33. GK

yes yes yes,no massive testing.they have 3 different builds,one for alpha,one for beta and one for release? no testing,nothing,they create game and it is working perfectly? :D i hope so this is not another BF4,which was released in beta stage.but what i see now,it is below mediocre.inhospitable.

#33 3 months ago
  34. Eregol

@GK
    You understand that e Alpha is most likely a playable snapshot of like Gamescom last year? Most of the bugs we’re looking at now have most likely been ironed out of the latest playable build and this not in e beta when that launches in 2 months.

These things are constantly in flux, and MMO like games require strict changes ASAP.

#34 3 months ago
  35. BrokenSpline

@dazedonthemoon

I have seen worse scenarios so yeah I can expect that. And that build only shows one area. The current build has far more than that so they didn’t exactly twiddle their thumbs.

Sorry until I see it in the beta or release I won’t be changing my mind. What I played of Evolve 6 months ago was far more fun than that noise and it was just 1 map.

#35 3 months ago
  36. dazedonthemoon

@BrokenSpline
    and Evolve is much, much smaller in scale than what Destiny hopes to be. And in the Alpha, enemies popped up in exactly the same spots, the wizard boss and the Walker public event in all the same places as the various videos they showed last year. So i’m pretty confident we are playing an expanded build of what they had ready last year. It sure doesn’t take a year to add the extra stuff and environments we’ve seen so far. I definitely believe there is much more to Destiny and excited for release.

#36 3 months ago
  37. BrokenSpline

@dazedonthemoon

That is your business to believe that but I believe this is Activision’s Old Republic. Spending a boatload of money into it and it flopping hard if this build is missing the part that actually makes it fun then they missed the part of being a developer. Because as it is it is a bare bone game with a pretty environment and set pieces. With that I am done with this thread. We can continue this next month when the beta releases.

#37 3 months ago
  38. briggstown

@TheWulf, – You’d rather none of us play the game because one set of Armour coincidentally looks like it’s from a game that came out 10 years ago?

#38 3 months ago
  39. beloree

I think I know why Brenna Hillier, you are a pony so ofc you must love game that sony money hatted to get exclusive contents.
    I hoped that title is a typo, but nope, alr 2 days and no one bother change that title.
    And for curious guys: I own both ps4 and xbox one.

#39 3 months ago
  40. Brenna Hillier

@silkvg247 I’m 5’8″ and my hands are proportionate, so i guess they might be kind of big? I love console games, and I’ve never had any trouble with controller in general; I’m just super shitty at shooters with controllers.

I’ve always found Xbox controllers a tiny bit uncomfortable and Sony ones better, and find the DualShock 4 super, super comfortable – the best of the lot. *shrug* it’s all just preference and your hand shape/size, I don’t think there’s any objectively better configuration.

#40 3 months ago
  41. Brenna Hillier

@undermyrules Call of Duty, Battlefield, Borderlands and dozens of other shooters have been hugely successful on consoles. Homefront’s failure wasn’t about the control pad.

#41 3 months ago
  42. Brenna Hillier

@zoopdeloop It’s funny you should say that because when I tried FF14 on PS4 at a publisher event I found it super fun – again despite not liking MMOs. I only played for a few minutes, but the controls seemed really smart. Afraid to check it out further in case I am right about it and it eats my life.

#42 3 months ago
  43. Brenna Hillier

@fearmonkey I really like Borderlands 2, but because my house mate is a 2K PR rep I avoid writing opinions about 2K games whenever I can. You’re right that there are some similarities of formula. What excites me about Destiny is I find the basic shooting loop much more compelling and it endlessly generates content at your level.

#43 3 months ago
  44. Brenna Hillier

@GK there’s definitely not as much loot as other games, but on the other hand the loot itself seems much more meaningful and interesting. I found loads of rare items during my play time – about six hours, I think. Bungie ought to make it easier to see, that’s for sure – but anything you don’t pick up will be at the post office at the Tower waiting for you. Also, when you do strikes (as opposed to story missions) you always get a loot reward.

#44 3 months ago
  45. Sham8nix

Great article Brenda! I’m really enjoying destiny to the point where I have preordered it. All this talk about the loot situation will probably be rectified in the full game (I hope) it is only a alpha and a bloody good one at that!

#45 3 months ago
  46. Sham8nix

Brenda? Brenna stupid God Damn phone!

#46 3 months ago
  47. Sham8nix

Brenda? Who the f**k is Brenda? Stupid phone

#47 3 months ago
  48. Sham8nix

Stupid f**long phone

#48 3 months ago
  49. Tormenter

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!

Shooters so bore the fucking bejesus out of me.. THE TRUE point and click genre.

#49 3 months ago
  50. Vice

I don’t care much about opinion of a fucking GAMER GIRL who are all fucking retarted bads. Sorry. Unless “Brenna” is a man’s name, in which case I apoligise.

#50 3 months ago
  51. Liberty Cabbage

@Vice You’re a fucking idiot

#51 3 months ago
  52. zoopdeloop

@Brenna Hillier
    Good call Brenna
    it did it to me for 4 months then i decided that i had to let it go,or else….

#52 3 months ago