Take a look at the Wii U’s most elusive title, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Thursday, 12th June 2014 23:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

For a long time Xenoblade Chronicles X was little more than a rumour, and we’ve barely heard from it over the past year. Now, a half hour E3 2014 footage blowout finally gives us a oproper look at Monolith Soft’s latest.

Nintendo showcased the RPG in its Treehouse livestream; you can watch below.

Monolith Soft’s previous effort for Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles, inspired a huge fan campaign to have the game brought west, and was inspired by the classic Xenosaga series. The sequel doesn’t directly continue the story, but shares themes with it.

Set long after the fall of Earth to alien invasion, Xenoblade Chronicles X has players wandering the planet, exploring and searching for other survivors.

There’s been a lot of interest in Xenoblade Chronicles X ever since we first heard rumours that Monolith Soft was making a Wii U game, both from classic RPG fans and those keen on a new action title for Wii U.

At E3 last year, Nintendo showed off the new open-world RPG and confirmed its place in the Xenoblade series, and this year confirmed a 2015 release date with a new trailer.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. FBSKing

Looks like a typical Japanese RPG, I just love the Final Fantasy games, but I think the open world zelda is gonna be great ¡Hey! more games in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iwnDDe2pYw style for nintendo please.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Rosseu

This totally looks like Xenosaga.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Blackened Halo

it looks poor compared to the trailer released on E3 2013

#3 5 months ago
  4. The_Red

Am I the only one who feels the graphics had a MASSIVE downgrade compared to previous showings / trailers?

#4 5 months ago
  5. Samurai

@The_Red The trailer that was showed this year looked that way, but then I realized all the previous trailers avoided the faces or any zoomed in shots. This 40min gameplay walkthrough confirmed it wasn’t downgraded.

#5 5 months ago
  6. CycloneFox

I miss Xenogears and Xenosaga on Playstation so much. Those were the really best RPGs ever, imo. Xenoblade was great, too, apart from the ugly character design. But it was a huge letdown to play it on the inferior hardware. When I think back what Xenogears and especially Xenosaga III did on their consoles at that time when they got out, it was just breathtaking. Imo, Xenosaga III looked much prettier on the PS2, than Xenoblade on the Wii (I know, far bigger maps, etc, nobody has to tell me).
    I don’t have anything against multi-platform titles. I would have loved to see a new Monolith Soft Xeno-title for PS4 and Xbox One, but the fact, that nintendo owns them now, is just sad.

But still I’m thrilled to finally see the Xeno-Universe in HD. It looks gorgeous. I’m puzzled that they actually tell a part of the story in such a near future instad of going tens of thousands of years into the future and, as the player, you get into the very first steps of conolizing a new world. It sounds like a very different kind of story. But knowing Monolith Soft, I think they will manage to make something really unexpected and epic out of it. This is the reason for me to buy a Wii U.

#6 5 months ago