It’s official: Mario Kart 8 is a Wii U system seller

Thursday, 12th June 2014 01:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mario Kart 8 created a huge spike in Wii U sales, Nintendo revealed today to absolutely nobody’s surprise.

mario_kart_8

Mario Kart 8 has been so popular that it’s no shock to learn that Wii U sales quadrupled in the week following the release.

The news comes from Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, speaking to Polygon.

“That’s off to a fantastic start. For us, on a global basis, and certainly here in the United States, it’s driving hardware, which is great to see,” he said.

The executive did not provide hard sales figures, so if you’re the cynical type feel free to put “foUr times 1 is f0ur hurh hurh” or similar. We’ll wait. Take your time.

In addition to shifting hardware, Mairo Kart 8 was purchased by 18% of all previous Wii U owners during its first weekend on sale, which is a significant attach rate.

The Wii U had sold through 6 million units as of March 2014. It released in November 2012. For comparative purposes, the PS4 had sold through 7 million units as of mid-April, just five months on from release. It has no karting games whatsoever. On the other hand it hasn’t got an open-world Zelda game in the works, so.

1. Digital Bamboo

I would guesstimate that this will translate to around 400,000 Wii U’s sold in June.

Source: my ass

#1 1 month ago
  2. Digital Bamboo

No, wait: 550,000.

#2 1 month ago
  3. tenthousandgothsonacid

Times one ? Four times *zero* is zero more like :)

#3 1 month ago
  4. polygem

Good game. Good System. Good News.

#4 1 month ago
  5. Bomba Luigi

It is a really fun Game, I just wonder if they can keep the Sales there. We have seen some Games shifting Units bevor, but the Sales did fall down again quick.

I hope the best tough

#5 1 month ago
  6. dreamcastnews

There’s room in the market for all three machines I think. I can’t help but feel that Nintendo had a solid slate of titles for Wii U this E3, that Project Giant Robot in particular looked awesome.

With the indies now flocking to the machine I feel Nintendo will have enough digital support to see them through to their successor machine, whatever that maybe.

#6 1 month ago
  7. Legendaryboss

No one doubted that, they are referring to something else.

#7 1 month ago
  8. kingy

I bought one yesterday

#8 1 month ago
  9. Joe Musashi

People were buying Wii U’s for Mario Kart since before Mario Kart was even announced.

JM

#9 1 month ago
  10. ManuOtaku

Good news, with each new great game released the worth and value of getting a Wiiu is increasing, o believe the wiiu will shine late in the life cycle of the console.

#10 1 month ago
  11. FBSKing

And how could not sell, this game is great, maybe this is the dawn of a new generation for nintendo or perhaps it is this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iwnDDe2pYw but whatever, as a user of WiiU, I’m happy to see them sell much, good luck nintendo, I hope you continue on this path, I look forward to the new open world zelda. ;)

#11 1 month ago