We’re finally given a new look at Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture

Thursday, 12th June 2014 21:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, the latest from The Chinese Room, has a new trailer available after radio silence on the project since the first part of the year.

Rapture is set in the remote Yaughton Valley in June 1984 and is a story about people and how they live with each other after the end of the world.

Inspired by the fiction of John Wyndham, J. G. Ballard, John Christopher and other authors who deal with “ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances,” the game takes place in a “living, breathing world” where the Rapture is more than a backdrop.

“It’s a character in its own right. It’s great working with PS4 as its processing power makes a game like this possible for a team our size, Said co-director Jessica Curry.

“The game is all about discovery. It’s open-world so you have the freedom to explore wherever you like, visiting areas in an order you define, and the story is written to allow this whilst making sure every player has a strong dramatic experience. It’s a type of storytelling that is completely unique to games.

“The choices you make as a player have a direct impact on how you understand the story – the more you explore and interact, the deeper you are drawn into Rapture’s world.”

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture is currently in development for PS4 and still without a release date.

1. ArcticMonkey515

I really have no idea how this is going to play, but I somehow cannot wait for it to come out.

#1 7 months ago
  2. PEYJ

@ Stephany

Pretty sure it’s only for PS4 as SCE are the publishers of the game.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@PEYJ Yup. I forgot about that. They changed it last year. Thanks!

#3 7 months ago
  4. TheWulf

After the wholly uninspired A Machine for Pigs (versus Frictional Games’ resplendent original title), I’m not entirely convinced that The Chinese Room have it in them to create a good experience, artistic or not. Dear Esther had potential, but it dragged on far too long for what it was, really, and has been done better. I’ve just never really seen anything by them that’s make me sit back in my chair, breathe, and really need to process the brilliance that’s just been bestowed upon me. Some developers have been capable of that, but not many. The Chinese Room are trying for that, but not quite getting it.

And, honestly, they’ve been failing at art games ever since they moved from their humble beginnings in the modding scene, with titles like Antlion Soccer (no, really). So, yeah, I just have my doubts. They can create experiences which have some degree of aesthetic appeal, but that’ll only carry you so far.

I doubt they’ll ever create anything so genuinely meaningful as, say, Gone Home.

#4 7 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Or To the Moon, for that matter, which still remains one of my favourite interactive experiential titles. Kan Gao needs to make another game. He’s truly such an awe-inducing weaver of tales, I adore him and the things he makes. He also understands that art can have humour and a happy ending, it’s more difficult, but it is possible. And it seems he’s found that the greater difficulty involved within that kind of art makes it so, so much more worthwhile.

I’ve seen so many pseudo-intellectuals who falsely believe that art ends at negative emotions. There are many, many Renaissance artists who’d disagree vehemently with that concept, and be offended by it. It’s just that some art admirers have become so very, undeniably pseudo-intellectual that they have these rigid, preset ideas as to what art should be. And that’s something no one should ever have.

Art, in its simplest terms, is something that means something to you. Something that takes you in and inspires you, or makes you feel (negatively or positively), without ever feeling the need to shove a message down your throat (hello Journey). Art is an exceedingly ephemeral thing by its very nature, it’s so difficult to say exactly what it is, and what properties lead too its creation. I’ve admired a lot of art in my time, from both the greats and complete unknowns, and this is the closest I’ve gotten to a true understanding of what it means to have created art.

To have made an impact on the lives of people with nothing but your passion.

I think this pseudo-intellectual approach to art that seems to be running in populist, socialite circles right now is contrary to what art was at its highest point — the Renaissance. Art was something an artist did back then because they felt it, they were driven by their desire to create the imagery from their minds because it had a deep meaning to them. This is true of any real artist. Somewhere along the line, that was perverted into ‘they feel negatively, thus they lash out at a canvas and create art.’

Again though, I feel that’s a populist idea, as I’ve never really heard an artist or an intelligent art critic share that view. I think maybe that’s why the pointlessness, the oh so heavy-handedness, and the loud messaging of Journey appealed to extroverted circles so much, because it was that pseudo-intellectual definition of art.

I’ll take To the Moon over that (and probably this) any day of the week.

#5 7 months ago