Alienware Alpha is a Windows-ready Steam Box out this holiday

Thursday, 12th June 2014 21:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Alienware plans to release a Steam Machine this year for the living room which is Windows-based.

alienware-01-1 (1)

Speaking with Joystiq at E3 2014 this week, Alienware Alpha is a gaming PC designed for the living room out this holiday season for $550.

It comes with an Xbox 360 controller, a dongle for up to four Xbox 360 controllers, and games will run 1080p and at 60fps.

“It’s absolutely Steam-ready,” said the firm’s mrketing director Bryan de Zayas. “It’s not that we’re bypassing Steam. It’s critical. They have the majority of the digital downloads.”

The release is in response to Valve delaying Steam Machines into 2015. Alienware didn’t want to wait until next year, as it had planned on releasing its Steam Machine announced during CES 2014, in September.

While it will release early as a Windows system – which can also be customized – Alienware Alpha will be compatible with the Steam Controller and SteamOS once Valve releases both to the masses.

1. prudislav

So its just normal pre-build PC just with steam logo on it and marketed as Steam Machine :-D
    Kinda ridiculous if you think bout it

#1 3 months ago
  2. Spider Law

What games will run at 1080p 60fps?
    Thats pretty bold to state. 1080p? Of course, thats the standard (well, not for Xboxone anyways) but 60fps is a target depending on the power requirements of the games.

#2 3 months ago
  3. GuuR

It’s exterior is pretty sexy but the insides not so much it seems…

#3 3 months ago
  4. TheWulf

If there’s anything this helps to prove, it’s that people who think that you need to spend $3,000 on a gaming PC are idiots, because that’s been the argument I’ve heard versus consoles. And, frankly, if you build yourself or find a small business builder, you’ll be able to get even better than what’s on offer here.

What’s so bad about it? The CPU is a bit on the wimpy side, but that makes perfect sense. Due to the bar being set by console ports, the games aren’t exactly CPU heavy, what with all the horrible AI, lack of procedural generation, and all. If you want to take advantage of some of the few games that would actually use an i7, go buy one, but otherwise the average person would get by with an i3, needing an i5 at most.

A lot of people make mistakes like this when building their computers, not realising that they’re buying hardware that they’re never, ever going to use.

#4 3 months ago
  5. stretch215

@4 oh please. People don’t game on pc because they choose not to. Period. Their reasoning is noneof your business. I figured your sensitive ass would understand that.

#5 3 months ago
  6. gomersoul

Pc gaming is first and foremost a pain in the arse. With drivers and errors and much more difficult machine maintenance. It doesn’t just work every time you turn it on and put a game in. Windows is always a broken mess. The plus point is free multiplayer and slightly cheaper games, but the initial cost and frustrating system problems far outweigh any of the good points for regular people such as myself

#6 3 months ago
  7. Llewelyn_MT

@gomersoul
    Pc gaming is first and foremost a pain in the arse. Drivers update themselves. “Errors” happen in Windows XP, but that’s a thing of the past too. I frankly have no idea what “difficult machine maintenance” you are talking about, because I don’t do any. Modern PC games “just work every time you turn it on” and you don’t even have to put a game in, because we moved to digital distribution a long time ago. Windows has been a broken mess in the XP era (my PC didn’t have a single problem in over 2 years since I switched to Windows 7 and barely any before that). There always is free multiplayer and the games are half the price (unless you preorder, which is stupid no matter the platform). The initial cost and frustrating system problems are just a misconception.

To sum it up, saying PC gaming has some major “problems” is just spreading FUD*.

FUD is generally a strategic attempt to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information. An individual firm, for example, might use FUD to invite unfavorable opinions and speculation about a competitor’s product; to increase the general estimation of switching costs among current customers; or to maintain leverage over a current business partner who could potentially become a rival.
    ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

#7 3 months ago
  8. gomersoul

I can see for someone with your experience pc gaming seems easy enough. But the fact remains that you need reasonable knowledge of computer systems to set up your own rig, upgrade graphics cards and drivers, understand which hardware components will suit you best, pc naturally loses performance after 2 years for millions of difficult to solve reasons. Whereas a 5 year old could turn a ps4 on and play a game with ease, no bullshit. I’m not someone who has time for that bullshit so that’s why I said that. My ps3 turns on and plays games as fast as it did 7 years ago. Try to belittle me all you want but my point is undeniable

#8 3 months ago
  9. Panthro

It’s cheap for alienware so I expect it to have shit specs.

@gomersoul

“With drivers and errors and much more difficult machine maintenance. It doesn’t just work every time you turn it on and put a game in. Windows is always a broken mess.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

#9 3 months ago
  10. Llewelyn_MT

@gomersoul
    That’s true, I’ve been building my own PCs for years now, but I had the first one made (to my specs) when I was 15. I’ve been doing my own part swaps ever since, which was long before Google and YouTube.

Did you assemble your gaming console? I didn’t think so. There is a plenty of people to ask for help and places where you can just buy one. You might get ripped doing so, so better have someone in the know you can trust.

To update your drivers, you need to know your graphics card chip maker, which isn’t rocket science. Any average intelligence person can gain such knowledge in 5 minutes if they know how to use Google. Updating your graphics (and you usually only do that every 2-3 years) takes about an hour to a person without prior experience. Tested. You might need a screwdriver and a pinch of common sense.

PCs does not “naturally lose performance” unless you install tons of crap on it and you don’t use security software. Other than that, Windows 7 functions almost just as well after 2 years. If you use a PC only for gaming, web browsing, and communicaion (as you do your console), the performance loss is negligible and it always just works.

Try to belittle me all you want but my point is undeniable
    Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I’m not belittling you (I didn’t even try to hint that I believe), I’m just disproving your allegedly “undeniable” claims. What you’re saying used to hold truth a few years back, but it’s no longer the case. The dark days of PC gaming are long gone.

#10 3 months ago
  11. LisciousOne

perception is reality. many people find PC gaming hard to get into, as in, it’s like learning about hardware, software (16bit/64bit, drivers, graphics card manufacturers etc. Yes, from the comments I do agree and don’t doubt that it’s easy for you BUT you forget not everyone is the same. Thats like going to someone thats never used a console game pad and belittling them when they say how difficult it is to use because there’s so many buttons. The PC gamers here are downplaying the knowledge of hardware, or rather underestimating the knowledge they have of putting a PC together and trouble-shooting a PC. I know because I’ve been a PC gamer. driver conflicts, soundcard issues, network card not attached to motherboard correctly…I could go on and on but these may be things you find easy that other’s don’t. Or in my case, I just couldn’t arsed , while others just prefer consoles. thats the way the way the world is, we’re not all the same believe it or not. Or like #5 said…their reasoning is just none of your business.

#11 3 months ago