Mass Effect 4 won’t ignore original trilogy entirely, teases BioWare

Wednesday, 11th June 2014 13:22 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect 4 was revealed on Monday – kinda, sorta – and since then BioWare has confirmed that there will be ties to the original trilogy, and of course a host of returning races.

Mass_effect_4

If you missed the Mass Effect 4 reveal trailer, you can check it out by hitting the link. There’s also a little bit in there about BioWare’s new IP.

At present there’s still no confirmation on where or when Mass Effect 4 is set, but speaking with GameTrailers, BioWare Edmonton and Montreal boss Aaryn Flynn said the team had a, “really cool idea,” about how to advance its franchise.

“I can’t get into that too much,” he added. “We’ve got a really cool idea for how we’re going to carry on – keep the trilogy separate but at the same time give a bunch of nods to fans who enjoyed the trilogy in the past. That’s all going to come out soon.”

The site also grilled him about returning characters, to which he replied, “Hmm. Definitely returning races. It wouldn’t be a Mass Effect game without the krogans – we showed a krogan today.”

We’ve no idea when or where the game is set, but judging from BioWare’s E3 2014 clip, it could be an entirely new region of space, far from Shepard’s crusade against the Reapers.

What are your theories?

Via Eurogamer.

1. undermyrules

it should be in the same universe like 100-200 years later from the trilogy i mean it will make sense so we could put together some things that happend and did a mark in history….but its Bioware and they sure have lot of plans they are smart def and know how to make a story driven advanture.

#1 3 months ago
  2. KAP

@undermyrules

Yea I agree, it’s the most logical thing to do. It allows the dev to add new species and a lore that were all familiar with going in.

Making it a prequel only stunts the growth in expanding the universe even further I think.

#2 3 months ago
  3. GK

i hope so Garrus used hibernation machine and wake up in this game :)

#3 3 months ago
  4. Judicas

Was really hoping for a next gen rerelease of the original trilogy reveal since they mentioned it on twitter awhile back

#4 3 months ago
  5. undermyrules

@GK and statue of Sheppard on Earth and Citadel as the legendary spectre :D

#5 3 months ago
  6. bradk825

If they do various playable races a la Dragon Age Origins it would be so awesome.

Also, I would love to see co-op return. That was a blast.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

@bradk825 I’m actually stupidly excited for this already. I read up on the trilogy lore so much as each game launched and there’s still a lot they could do.

Yes to co-op as well!

#7 3 months ago
  8. Logion

One can’t help but wonder how they will solve the fact that the third game had three different endings.

#8 3 months ago
  9. bradk825

@Dave Oh yes. I freakin’ love Mass Effect ever since the first one. If they do sell the rumoured XB1/PS4 versions I’ll be in line. It’s one of those universes like Star Wars and such that just makes you want to keep going back.

#9 3 months ago
  10. GK

Logion,maybe saves transfers endings which you chosed?

#10 3 months ago
  11. bradk825

@Logion

It could go a couple ways. They could pick a standard one. They could make you pick one when you create your character, or it could take place before then.

After all, (Spoiler) mankind doesn’t go back to the stars again for centuries after the destruction of the Mass Relays.

#11 3 months ago
  12. TheWulf

They could pull a Voyager and have the new lead character on a ship stranded in an entirely unknown galaxy, that could be amusing.

Also, I’ve noticed that they’ve yet to show anyone out of their armour. This leads me to hope beyond hope that they’re going to troll the whiners by making Synthesis canon, because that would be funny. The amount of facepalming they must have done at those extroverts who’ve no grasp whatsoever of metaphors and symbolism, instead taking everything at face value (which I often cracked up at)…

I feel for them. They deserve some kind of slightly vindictive revenge. And really, I’d laugh so, so hard if that’s the route they went with the new game. And honestly, there’s nothing stopping them, since Hudson is still the story lead, and EA is very hands-off with them. That’d be the greatest reveal of the decade! They’d make history!

Could you imagine?

It’s as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in anger, and were suddenly silenced by their own shock-induced deaths.

I think that’d make my year, too, honestly. A big, mainstream developer standing up and saying that no, they care not for your immense stupidity, they’ve found zero fucks (in their warehouse that was once filled with fucks) to give that you took metaphors and symbolism at face value, literally, as though you’d never read a book or been to a museum. No they’re not going to dumb down their far reaching and crazy ideas just because the unfamiliarity of them chafes against your small world view, or because they might make you want for some insight, straining your mind to think.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Honestly, the arguments I heard against Mass Effect were the kinds of arguments that stupid people often trot out when exposed to the unexpected. The thing is is that any sci-fi fan (especially of yesteryear) knows to expect really, really weird things, unexpected things, unusual turns, and unexpected paradigm shifts.

Except the more limited brain can’t take this new data, analyse it, and reformulate an opinion. They just stick with ‘THE DATA CHANGED, THEREFORE THIS IS AWFUL.’

A certain fictional mayor had something particularly insightful to say about that.

But yeah, I feel for BioWare. It’s whether they’ll cave for the monies, or whether they’ll rail against the idiots and actually mean what they said about artistic integrity.

#12 3 months ago
  13. TheWulf

Actually, in the Synthesis ending (the one for intelligent, lovely, handsome people), the now freed Reapers decide it’s their duty to help clean up the galaxy out of a sense of remorse. Sure, it was the Catalyst’s brainwashing and mind control that forced them to do those things, but they still felt guilt. So they repaired the damage to the worlds, rebuilt the relays, and generally got things back to order relatively quickly.

I wonder if anyone’s going to be genuinely feebleminded enough to throw ‘genetic rape’ at me? Don’t be a lackwit. Look up the meaning of ‘METAPHOR,’ and then ‘SYMBOLISM.’ Once you’ve absorbed those meanings fully, to the best of your ability, watch the Synthesis ending once again and see if you understand it better. The presentation was a metaphor for how people could now upgrade themselves to new states of being, if they chose to do so, and how sickness and age had simply become obsolete within this new era of the Singularity.

But hey, there will always be that doltish buffoon, whomever they are, who’ll take things at face value, when they were clearly not intended to be taken literally. There’s so much about the Synthesis ending that screams ‘THIS IS FIGURATIVE, FIGURE-ATIVE IT OUT.’ And they’ll still take it literally.

Sometimes I genuinely think that there are two distinct tiers of intellect within humanity, and in general, introverts tower so far above humans that the difference is equivalent to the intellect of a mouse versus that of a cetacean.

Sigh.

Yes, I’m bitter. I listened to a lot of intolerably, genuinely asinine dolts following the end of ME3 that a permanent mark was left, like a cancer. That’s often how I feel about extroverted people who take everything literally, at face value — they’re a cancer upon my happiness. And upon BioWare’s.

I mean, goodness, the founders of BioWare left over this, certain writers were thinking of leaving due to the toxicity of the forums, too. What the unilluminated ones aren’t used to is a more erudite mind bad-mouthing them. That’s what I do. Someone has to, for the good of cultivated minds everywhere.

#13 3 months ago
  14. budoshi

cannot wait for this. i hope they kep the themes and musics they used along with some new one, that s a part of whats make mass effect! im a bit worried that they used frostbyte 2 ans not the 3.. but whatever i hope to know more soon.

#14 3 months ago
  15. budoshi

@TheWulf i most of the times never bother to read massive wall of texts,well simply because most of the time isn’t worth it, and i regret that now i did read your pretentious full of it, craps. seriously, even with all your fancy words and sentence ,all you do is babbling about how is if someone do not agree with you, they are complete and utterly fools and idiots and simple minded. go figure.. i didn,t like the Synthesis ending with along me a lots of pleoples, and if they really put that ending cannon yes i will really pissed, that ending made no sense whatsoever and was kinda lazy. killing the reapers was the only good ending. but you see while i see things different then you i wont go calling other that like diffrent ending morons and fools.i have no doubt they will put some story around that Synthesis crap, mostly that it failed i hope . or at worst some random peoples are like stuck like that . or a completely new ( race) of Synthesis es peoples. all and all in my opinion people had a right to post their malcontent on bio ware s forum and guess what? it pays off they released a dlc that (somewhat) fixes the ending and i was happy with it.

#15 3 months ago
  16. Gheritt White

@TheWulf The Synthesis ending was a Reaper hoax and only somebody as genuinely STUPID (and I do mean that to mean that you lack intelligence) would have fallen for it.

Hope you enjoyed your Shepherd being indoctrinated!

#16 3 months ago
  17. Ekona

The Destroy ending was clearly the only canon ending, as it’s the only way Shephard survives (assuming GRR was high enough). Anyone who thinks otherwise is, well, an idiot. ;)

ME4 is going to make me put my life on hold, just like the others did.

#17 3 months ago
  18. PSOCecil

Mass Effect 3′s godawful ending, as well as Dragon Age 2 in general, killed any interest I had in Bioware games at all. They’re a shadow of their former selves, and nothing will change that.

#18 3 months ago
  19. ddtd

@PSOCecil Ah, Dragon Age 2 isn’t all that bad. I kind of liked the character interactions. It almost made up for the irresponsibly lazy game design.

#19 3 months ago