Destiny will be PS4′s biggest system seller, says Sony

Wednesday, 11th June 2014 20:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEE boss Jim Ryan believes Destiny will be the biggest system-seller this year for PlayStation 4.

Guardians_2_destiny-media

Speaking in an interview with CVG at E3 2014, Ryan said the cumulative effect of The Last of Us Remastered, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, FIFA, Far Cry 4 and others will help no doubt, but the Bungie shooter could take the crown.

“If I had to pick one, it’d probably be Destiny. We’re partnered up with Activision on that. The intensity and depth that the two organizations are working at is something I’ve never seen before,” he said. “Both really want to make this work in a really serious way.

“The game is obviously multiformat so it will be out on Xbox One and 360, as it will be on PS3. But I think, certainly in our eyes, the main prize is the PS4 version of the game. We want to make that absolutely enormous.”

Sony has so far revealed a white PS4 bundle for the game as one incentive, and the other is a beta which starts on July 17 – which is part of Sony’s “play on PlayStation first” promise.

A PS4-exclusive first look alpha kicks off before that on June 12, and both the PS3 and PS4 versions will receive exclusive content not available on Microsoft consoles.

Pretty large incentives right there.

Destiny will release on PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in September.

1. PSOCecil

A multiplatform Activision game will be a ‘system seller’?

Honestly, I still don’t see what’s so special about Destiny… looks like if Borderlands ripped Halo off. Bungie can do better than this, I know it.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

That has been the trend for a while now.

#2 4 months ago
  3. CycloneFox

@PSOCecil: I’d say COD was the Xbox360s biggest system seller.

#3 4 months ago
  4. killer_walrus

@CycloneFox MS did make Call of Duty synonymous with the Xbox, but with a CoD game coming out every year, it’s easier to reinforce that message. Bungie already said Destiny is going to be a massive game with inevitable sequels, most likely, already being discussed and prepped, but they won’t come out at the same frequency since there’s only one Bungie and I don’t see Activision, as greedy as they can be, getting additional studios to make more Destiny games.

#4 4 months ago
  5. TheWulf

I really still don’t see the appeal of this. It looks more generic than Halo did. I think it’s supposed to be similar to No Man’s Sky, too, but with woefully limited tech (by comparison)?? So you get transitions/loading screens on going from atmosphere to planet? I don’t know. Just seems like it’s being done better elsewhere.

Maybe the generic nature of it though will be a bit of a pull to those who like generic things. And goodness knows those people exist.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Gheritt White

@TheWulf Christ you’re a prick though, aren’t you? Hark at you! I bet you vote Tory.

#6 4 months ago
  7. gomersoul

Destiny is over hyped. Gta cod and titanfall are system sellers. You choose ps4 because it’s more powerful and better looking. And Sony’s direction seems more positive from a consumers perspective. Uncharted might sell a few but I don’t think next gen has a game you couldn’t go without. Mario kart on the other hand…

#7 4 months ago
  8. budoshi

not too hard to be a best seller when everything else that could have make a competition, was delayed to 2015

#8 4 months ago
  9. sebastien rivas

system sellers should really understand by now to never shout bold claims unless they know the game does not suffer of ANYTHING to begin with whereas the launch is so smooth and creamy that all players around the world demand more, otherwise, it is an …. how kids say nowadays… ha yes…. instaflop and angry mobs arise all around the globe.

#9 4 months ago
  10. bradk825

I never understood why PS3 COD players were always up in arms about DLC first on 360 etc…

I apologize for my ignorance.

True, exclusive content is a step beyond timed content, but I still get a feeling of the annoyance of it from this. I won’t buy a seperate console just to get a little extra content in a percentage of games, but yeah, it’s bothersome. Especially when the dev was made rich-as-fuck in partnership with Microsoft.

#10 4 months ago
  11. Seventizz

Last E3 I was excited. Throughout the year, I was tepid. Now, I’m at zero interest. Gameplay looks mediocre, graphics look dull and lifeless, and other than a hooded caped character model – there is no hero. Not a day one purchase for my Xbox One – bargain bin pick up at best.

#11 4 months ago