Bloodborne definitely isn’t Demon’s Souls 2, no sir, nothing to see

Wednesday, 11th June 2014 02:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony and From Software seem quite adamant that Bloodborne isn’t a continuation of either of the Souls series, while at the same time staying very true to what the fanbase wants.

bloodborne_e3_2014_1

In a post on the PlayStation Blog, SCE Japan Studio producer Masaaki Yamagiwa gave a few details of the new project and how it very definitely isn’t Demon’s Souls 2.

“Bloodborne takes place in an ancient, forgotten city called Yharnam, known for an old medical remedy. Over the years, many hopeless and afflicted people have made long pilgrimages to Yharnam in search of help. As the main character, you are one of these travelers. However, you find that Yharnam is also cursed with a horrible endemic illness,” Yamagiwa said.

That’s totally different from how in Demon’s Souls you were a trapped soul and in both Dark Souls games you were afflicted with the curse of the undead, and you had to explore an ancient environment now brought to ruin.

“You must navigate the perilous streets of this city, fighting off nightmarish creatures, malformed beasts and deranged mobs stricken with this horrific illness. Face your fears as you discover the secrets and mysteries of this dark and horrific world where danger, death and madness lurk around every corner,” he went on.

Again, very different from both sets of Souls games.

“In Bloodborne, the combat is based on intense life-threatening battles.”

I definitely see the differences now.

Okay, enough joking: Bloodborne does have actual differences, especially in combat, which includes firearms.

“One of the ways we are bringing that sense of danger to life is by keeping the deep strategic elements from Demon’s Souls, while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns,” Yamagiwa said.

There are also going to be some interesting online features, he said, but Sony won’t be talking about that until later in the year.

“We also look forward to giving fans new ways of playing and sharing thanks to the PS4 system’s Share capabilities,” he added. Please let that mean spectator interactive elements, because that would be rad.

1. jomac3db

Can’t wait to see gameplay

#1 4 months ago
  2. Shinji10TH

I don’t know if they are joking, but they do realize that they can do more than what a mere PS4 can do on PC.
    Oh that I hate when companies are biased with this patriotic BS, and it always happens with Japanese devs.

#2 4 months ago
  3. dazedonthemoon

@Shinji10TH
    I don’t know if you realize this but you’re acting like a whiny, entitled, butthurt PC gamer.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Shinji10TH

@dazedonthemoon
    Really ? Then why do I own all the consoles since the PS2 ?
    What you should understand, is that I question why FS would have gone all the way to release DkS I and II on all platforms (PC included), and then go the opposite way for their new game, it doesn’t make sense at all ?

#4 4 months ago
  5. dazedonthemoon

@Shinji10TH
    Because this is a new IP and not Dark or Demon Souls. By limiting it to one console they can reduce the costs of development and the number of people needed to work on the project, whilst others can work on their other projects that are surely in development. You comment earlier saying “mere PS4″ is what made you sound like an elitist PC gamer regardless of whether or not you own systems.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Shinji10TH

@dazedonthemoon
    I was just trying to debunk the devs quote : “The producer is very excited about how the PS4′s capabilities have allowed From Software to utilise a longer draw distance, better lighting, and more detailed enemies and environments.”
    I just seems like saying only PS4 can do that, which is completely wrong.

#6 4 months ago
  7. ChristopherJack

I never parry in Dark Souls 1 or 2. I get frustrated when I try to & it fails so I don’t even bother, maybe I should make an exception for certain enemies but in general I CBF.

#7 4 months ago
  8. ChristopherJack

@5, It’s because it’s published by Sony- Sony are paying From to make it, even assisting them with SCEJ. Nothing to do with such nonsense- devs needs money, publisher has money, dev makes games for publisher- both agree to circumstances (such as exclusivity) .

#8 4 months ago
  9. Rosseu

So it’s like Castlevania? Pass.

#9 4 months ago
  10. zoopdeloop

@Shinji10TH
    Since it’s Sony exclusive i think he meant that ps3 wouldn’t give the same result
    ,what did you expect him to say? :)

@Rosseu
    right…and that came from the Werewolf shot?

#10 4 months ago
  11. Blackened Halo

@Shinji10TH cause Sony paid them to say that

#11 4 months ago
  12. ArcticMonkey515

I’ve never played any of the souls games but I’m excited for this. Bought a PS4 on launch day and this’ll be where I jump in with From Software.

#12 4 months ago
  13. dazedonthemoon

@ArcticMonkey515
    Don’t know who you are but you have the best name ever. Favorite band of mine.

#13 4 months ago
  14. YoungZer0

@Shinji10TH

It’s published by Sony. Now what does this tell you? Why would Sony not be interested in it being released for PC?

#14 4 months ago
  15. orakaa

@Shinji10TH : Oh come on… He absolutely didn’t imply what you said. He was referring to working with PS4 in essence. And of course PS4 gives more flexibility and possibilities than PS3 and 360 for instance.

As for what you said: ” I question why FS would have gone all the way to release DkS I and II on all platforms (PC included), and then go the opposite way for their new game”.
    Should I remind you that the (true) beginning of the “Souls” series began with “Demon’s Souls”, a PS3 exclusive title? (it was released on PC, but much later, which might perhaps happen for Bloodborne as well, if Sony agrees, as they own the name/franchise).

And if you are so narrow-minded (or should I rather say, racist) to think that From Software are biased and patriotic, I will also remind you that while they got an exclusivity deal with “Demon’s Souls” on PS3, they also got, at the same time, an exclusivity deal with Microsoft to develop “Ninja Blade” on 360. Unfortunately “Ninja Blade” wasn’t as well received as “Demon’s Souls”.
    It’s BUSINESS. If Microsoft offered them a (better?) deal, FS might have accepted it.
    Try to think before you comment…

#15 4 months ago
  16. ManuOtaku

Iam not that good with demon souls, and neither dark souls, although i do own all games on the series waiting for the day i might enjoy them more.
    And One of the reasons it is not my cup of tea is the slow fighting mechanics, therefore knowing their new game will be more action fast, really is turning me very interested, because i do love the artistic direction and the world of demons/dark souls. Another to my list of games to get.

#16 4 months ago