Believe it, Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s Paris is freaking massive

Wednesday, 11th June 2014 12:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed: Unity is big, and Ubisoft has tried to explain just how large its new-gen representation of Paris really is.

assassins_creed_unity_e3_2014_5

It follows a Ubisoft’s rather weak attempt to explain why Assassin’s Creed: Unity doesn’t have playable females.

On the E3 2014 show floor, Ubisoft’s team told Kotaku that Unity’s depiction of Paris is larger than all of Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag’s landmass stuck together. Put it this way; the in-game version of Notre Dame cathedral is accurately scaled 1:1 when compared to the real thing.

Level designer Bruno Saint Andre explained to the site that a quarter of Unity’s buildings have interiors, and creative director Alex Amancio added that each of the Paris regions will feel more distinct than those in previous instalments.

Kotaku was also told that Unity won’t have PvP, its co-op missions can be played solo and are optional, while the game’s present-day sections will star “you,” whatever that means.

Are you hyped for Assassin’s Creed: Unity?

1. Erthazus

but gameplay does not changed at all. Bulky and weak stealth mechanics and crappy battle system with automatic-parkour.
    Graphically it looks great though.

#1 6 months ago
  2. revolting

Presumably by starring “you”, they’re going for something akin to AC4, where you played a faceless anybody rather than a specific character like Desmond Miles in the previous games. Blank slates always come across as more personal, as we naturally imprint our own personality onto them. Probably with more integrated social features (for better or worse
    ), this being next gen and all.

#2 6 months ago
  3. KAP

I’m REALLY looking forward to this. AC4 Black Flag for the first “current-gen” game I played and truth be told I wasn’t a huge fan, maybe because I was burnt out? Maybe coming out of GTAV, a masterpiece of openworld design I just felt that Black Flag cities, locations just felt like a copy and paste of past locations.

Unity though, really feels like the next step up and I hope the progression is more immersive and meaningful instead of collect collectibles for the sake of it. Looking forward to this and Farcry 4 this year.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@Erthazus Have you played it yet?

#4 6 months ago
  5. Erthazus

@Dave Cook nope. But I saw 2 demo’s and was not impressed really. It is the same game. animation is great, graphics look good and crowd with thousand AI’s is looking great but that’s it. Everything else is the same with the same stupid side quests.

#5 6 months ago
  6. KAP

@Erthazus Sigh.

You ever had your mind changed by eventually playing a game? Don’t take it as a dig, I’m just asking ok..

#6 6 months ago
  7. Gheritt White

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN! CHOO FUCKIN’ CHOOO!!

#7 6 months ago
  8. ddtd

It looks like they finally bulked up the stealth gameplay. The crouching and cover system may have been something they should have thought to add in a while ago, but better late then never.

#8 6 months ago
  9. mistermogul

For the love of god Ubisoft, drop the pointless modern day bollocks already…

Looking forward to this though as it’s reminding me of AC2 which is still my fav of the series…

#9 6 months ago
  10. Llewelyn_MT

You realize the Notre Dame is actually rather small? It’s only 69 meters wide and 69 meters high (at the front, which most people associate with Notre Dame).

Real life sized in-game Louvre Palace, now that would be something to write about…

#10 6 months ago
  11. Rosseu

They’re going to let us play as ourselves! Can we scan our ugly faces please

#11 6 months ago
  12. GK

yes,it is the same game,pirates,sea,sharks :D
    and idiot of the year award goes to…. Erthazus.

#12 6 months ago
  13. Gheritt White

@mistermogul The modern day bits are one of my fave aspects of the series – I do love me a metagame :)

#13 6 months ago
  14. thunderrun

A question is bothering me
    Was the game really running on a Xbox One during Microsoft and Ubi conference or we should expect another Watch Dogs story ?

#14 6 months ago
  15. Doc Robotnik

If only these kind of games could cope with split screen. Would love to play this with my partner.

#15 6 months ago
  16. MadFingerz

@thunderrun It could have been running on xbone but that doesn’t really matter because there’s still a lot to put into the game so when they start optimizing, the graphical quality will drop.

Hopefully it won’t drop too much…but that would still be preferable to, say, dumbing down the new and improved crowd AI.

#16 6 months ago