Call of Duty vs Battlefield at E3 2014: who won? Who even cares?

Tuesday, 10th June 2014 12:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Battlefield: Hardline both had explosive gameplay reveals at the E3 2014 conferences, and usually we’d try to determine which was better. ‘Sod that’ says Dave Cook. Both games deserve a wee slap on the back.

call_of_duty_advanced_warfare_5

”It’s like the Swiss army knife of military tech, with hovering, boost jumps, super-human strength, rocket dashing and for all I know it’s hooked up to a catheter that turns Mitchell’s piss into wine.”

KABOOM! KER-POWWW! BOOM! and all that other noise. Yes, the E3 2014 conferences did their best to whip us all into a soapy lather of hype last night, in what were arguably some of the most game-heavy broadcasts in as many years. Games out the ass my friends.

Gone were the suited executives with their bullshit marketing lines and flowery guff-speak, replaced instead by new software footage and reveals that did the talking while attempting to justify owning a PS4 or Xbox One. That’s what we needed – a reason to believe in these machines and their price-tags – and that’s exactly what we got.

In the midst of all that lovely noise we were spoon-fed our first taste of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Battlefield: Hardline gameplay, two games that both looked miraculous on new hardware. What’s more, they each offered more than just another ‘Rogue nation invades America’ or ‘America invades rogue nation’ wankery. That shit’s so last-gen man. The war’s over.

Let’s start with Advanced Warfare first as, well, it was shown first. Man those visuals. Seriously, did you see that? I got a feeling that above should silence those crying out for a new Call of Duty engine, and although I’m a fan I agree that by the time Ghosts came out those corridors were looking a bit too familiar, a bit too Groundhog Day.

”Bravo Sledgehammer for bringing this long-time Call of Duty fan back from almost not giving a shit any more. Of course, multiplayer is the big test of how this new tech has been used to shake things up.”

Now look at it. Particle effects bleeding out of every crack, lighting that shimmers off surfaces, insane facial capture and fluid animation. Say what you will folks, but Sledgehammer’s tech is a good show-piece for the new consoles, and thankfully, it looks like the gameplay’s going to match. The Exo-Suit is a big part of that.

It’s like the Swiss army knife of military tech, with hovering, boost jumps, super-human strength, rocket dashing and for all I know it’s hooked up to a catheter that turns Mitchell’s piss into wine. I also liked the very Dead Space HUD on the gun, the cycled grenade types, and that bloody drone swarm was just excellent. Imagine that as a killstreak. It’ll make the AC-130 look like a paper plane.

Bravo Sledgehammer for bringing this long-time Call of Duty fan back from almost not giving a shit any more. Of course, multiplayer is the big test of how this new tech has been used to shake things up. We’re guessing it’ll be revealed at gamescom, as it has done for a few years now. We’ll be there, eating sausages and all of that stuff. Seriously, order the Currywurst.

Battlefield: Hardline was next, and oh man did it ignite EA’s press conference. See, I really don’t think Battlefields 3 and 4 are all that different. They seemed too similar to keep me interested, plus I’ve long maintained that Bad Company 2 is still the best multiplayer DICE has produced to date. That’s just me though. People have been killed for saying less.

”It reminded me of the final fight in Warner’s Man of Steel, in which about ten zillion people die as a result of Supes and Zod’s last smackdown. Seriously, how many civilians died during that Hardline demo just so the robbers could make off with a crate of gold bars?”

Hardline is exciting because it’s a move away from that familiar story of small American squads infiltrating enemy lines in Russia or China, the almost single-handedly ending a war while thousands of their comrades fail. It’s sheer bollocks of the highest order, but Visceral’s new cops versus robbers shooter is going for something smaller, contained and focused. That’s a wise step.

The EA conference multiplayer demo was simply mad, and it reminded me of the final fight in Warner’s Man of Steel, in which about ten zillion people die as a result of Supes and Zod’s last smackdown. Seriously, how many civilians died during that Hardline demo just so the robbers could make off with a crate of gold bars? Who cares when it looks that fun?

Building collapsed, cranes toppled and sliced through apartments like microwaved cheese, helicopters let rip with mini-guns, masked men slid across the sky on zip-lines and through it all you don’t really know where to turn. This is when Battlefield is at its best; when the environment feels reactive to your presence and there’s carnage all around you.

Hardline seems so over the top that it just screams ‘FUN! FUN! YOU WILL HAVE FUN! ARE YOU HAVING FUN YET? NO? HAVE SOME MORE FUN!’ at your face until you obey it. I never really felt that way in Battlefield 4, so you can count me fully invested again after last night’s showing from Visceral.

So which of the two shooters ‘won’ E3 2014? Neither. They’ve both come away winners for daring to do different and giving us more reason to own either a PS4 or Xbox One. We all win, even though other sites will try and tell you that one beat the other, because… well, I’ve never understood that.

GAMES!

1. mamu-ti

Cod look s better.

#1 2 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

Can you feel the love?

#2 2 months ago
  3. Hcw87

CoD sure does feel like the biggest step up of the two (Hardline just feels like BF4), but in the end, CoD will be the same clusterfuck of perks/killstreaks/campers it’s always been about. Oh, and a 4 hour campaign.

I honestly don’t get why they didn’t show the CoD multiplayer, it’s the only thing people will play in that game anyway.

#3 2 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@Hcw87 “CoD will be the same clusterfuck of perks/killstreaks/campers it’s always been about. Oh, and a 4 hour campaign.”

You’ve played it?

#4 2 months ago
  5. Darkfield

I dunno, I’m totally off CoD ever since MW2, so I’m gonna go with BF: Hardline since I prefer destruction over whatever CoD does.

#5 2 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@Darkfield Shame man, I felt Black Ops 2 was the best one. Great arena-based multiplayer game.

#6 2 months ago
  7. Hcw87

Just basing it off the last 10 CoD games to come out. Nothing has been said or shown that proves this game will be different.

#7 2 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@Hcw87 Can’t remember the last time there was a four hour CoD campaign. The multiplayer has changed a lot at mechanic level. Maybe it’s just me (as a big fan) but I’ve always felt the differences while playing MP.

Hyped for both AW and Hardline though. both look superb.

#8 2 months ago
  9. Darkfield

@Dave Cook TBH I liked Blops 2 (never played it though), just didn’t want to play more CoDs for a while. Maybe if next Treyarch game be as good I get it but this new CoD does nothing for me, I’d rather get Titanfall.

#9 2 months ago
  10. OlderGamer

Not interested in either.

regardless of the graphics, cod is always bad online because of mentioned cluster. It is the small maps, low player counts, perks, killstreaks, and campers that always turn me off. That is the formula of cod online. Yuck and boring.

hardline? No thanks. At least a war makes sense. Cops and robbers? Um no.

fps to get excited about?

sunset and destiny. And even evolve.

lest that is my take.

#10 2 months ago
  11. Hcw87

If anything deserves a remake, it’s CoDMW1. If they packed that in with this game, i’d be all in. Really need to see some multiplayer footage though, i got a feeling all these high-tech gadgets is going to mess up the game in a big way (sensor grenades is overkill when you’re constantly shown on a radar for example).

It becomes more of a ”spot-guy-through-wall-and-get-cheap-kill” thing. Cheap kills aren’t satisfying at all, and it’s way too easy to get those in the latter CoD games.

#11 2 months ago
  12. thunderrun

Does anyone care about campaign anymore ?
    I do, and I haven’t seen good and lengthy campaign since MW2, BF3
    So, why should I care if I’m not a multiplayer ?

#12 2 months ago
  13. Dave Cook

@Darkfield I’m very excited for whatever Treyarch does next. Their CoD titles are much more fun.

#13 2 months ago
  14. Dave Cook

@thunderrun Yeah I still care about the CoD campaigns too. Silly fun with big dumb men and their ludicrous guns. Love it.

#14 2 months ago
  15. OlderGamer

Also looking forward to sw battlefront.

#15 2 months ago
  16. POOhead

@Dave Cook dunno how I feel about the new cod, bf beta is a massive letdown and new cod looks pretty slow

#16 2 months ago
  17. Dave Cook

@POOhead Is the beta shit? I’m downloading it now. Bloody 6GB!

#17 2 months ago
  18. YoungZer0

I will probably have to check out both. Unless they are above 20 GB.

Didn’t buy any of the titles last year. Ghosts looked boring and 4 still seems to have it’s fair share of problems.

#18 2 months ago
  19. Sethos

CoD is the biggest departure but I don’t mean that as a compliment. Lasers, robots and shit? God it looked awful.

#19 2 months ago
  20. fengato

Having missed out on a Hardline beta code, I just purchased one on eBay for too much. Hoping for the best.

#20 2 months ago
  21. stretch215

I gave up playing cod with ghosts, ugh, the mp for that game put me off of fps mp for awhile. Bf4 brought me back and I’m pumped for hardline (even if it may be more of a bf4 mod than it’s own game. This new cod is a potential buy for me, but not a preorder. @young zero bf4 is pretty much sorted out on ps4, not sure where you play though

#21 2 months ago
  22. POOhead

@Dave Cook yeah its extremely short and you get spawned killed ALOT

#22 2 months ago
  23. Dave Cook

I’ve been playing the Hardlie beta this afternoon. Really liking it. Expect videos with commentary shortly.

#23 2 months ago
  24. Game Hunter

@Dave Cook I’ve completed all 10 CODs and since MW1,all of campaigns lasted for only 4 hours.although those 4 hours are the best between all those crappy FPS games’ campaigns.

#24 2 months ago
  25. BrahManDude

cod didn’t impress but hardline looked really fun but i rather play some Far Cry 4 this year

#25 2 months ago