Sunset Overdrive’s city looks like a new-gen playground in this trailer

Friday, 6th June 2014 12:06 GMT By Dave Cook

Sunset Overdrive developer Insomniac Games has rolled out a new dev diary for its Xbox One exclusive, this time looking at how it designed Sunset City to make if easy to navigate using all of those grinds, rail flips and jumps.

It follows the previous chapter, in which some of Sunset Overdrive’s maddest guns were shown in action. There’s even a rifle that shoots teddy bears. No really.

Here’s the second clip:

It features some early prototype footage showing how flat the city was originally, until it was re-designed with verticality and traversal in mind.

We’re seeing Sunset Overdrive at E3 2014 next week. Speaking of which, here’s our 28 games of the show you really need to be keeping an eye on.

Via CVG.

1. onlineatron

get the impression ms will how sone pretty big and new stuff to show on stage if they’re putting out these vids ahead of time, and have already detailed new app stuff. lot of space to fill

#1 2 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

It looks like a Dreamcast game, and I mean that with the utmost respect.

#2 2 months ago
  3. ManuOtaku

This keeps looking better and better with Each new trailer, man i cannot wait for this game, alonside shadow of mordor, batman and bayonetta 2, Are my most anticipated games.

#3 2 months ago
  4. polygem

this game (it looks like tons of fun to me) and playing mario kart 8 today just made me think about how awesome a mario sunshine themed watergun multiplayer third person shooter could be…

#4 2 months ago
  5. ManuOtaku

@polygem mario sunshine is such under appreciated, that is almost a crime, coming To think of it both gamecube games, mario and zelda were very controversial for being different, a shame in both cases imo.
    But I like the idea you posted, it would rock.

#5 2 months ago
  6. fihar

Come on guys, give them some credit. It’s Insomniac, you really shouldn’t be surprised at what they could come up with.

#6 2 months ago
  7. ManuOtaku

@fihar After fuse, although i take in consideration that EA was involved, made me worried they lost some of their magic.
    But I do believe in giving second chances, and they are really making it worth it.

#7 2 months ago
  8. Kreion

@ManuOtaku
    I’d also add that I found that latest Ratchet and Clank to be…dull in terms of the weapons. They just fell flat for me so I’m hoping that this game has some better ones xD

#8 2 months ago
  9. Joe Musashi

This continues to look fantastic and big, stupid fun. Insomniac definitely appear to have their mojo back.

These videos are great too – great tone, plenty of info and charisma.

What’s not to like?

JM

#9 2 months ago
  10. zoopdeloop

Boring uninspired enemies with as it seems bad AI,the whole city design is all over the place (in a bad way)…like an ugly carnival
    it loooks kind of stupid fun one can have over a rainy weekend,nothing more.
    Insomniac guys have lost their touch a very long time ago

#10 2 months ago
  11. Hcw87

Aww, them tears. Such salt.

#11 2 months ago
  12. zoopdeloop

@Hcw87
    The same tears you and many others had over Resistance right?
    C’mon who are we kidding here.
    It’s just an opinion and it would remain the same even if it was meant for another platform e.g Ps4.I bet yours wouldn’t be as it is now though

#12 2 months ago
  13. zoopdeloop

If only Knack also a brand new uninspired and kind of boring IP was One exclusive,it would be hyped like this one is now :)

#13 2 months ago
  14. ManuOtaku

@zoopdeloop there is people that did like knack and think is a good game, i do as well. It sold well even better than mario 3D at some point, it did decently well on europe as well, you may not like it, for the valid reasons you believe, but It is not fair using a game to take down another game that might be bad in your eyes, again for your valid reasons.

And Although i do think they had lost some of their touch (magic) with fuse, this doenst mean they cannot recover it back, give people second chances, at least wait to play the game.

#14 2 months ago
  15. yeoung

This looks like an open world game where you could just have fun playing tag with a friend, IN COLOUR.

being able to whack overgrown pink moles and shoot increasingly ridiculous ammo makes me weirdly nostalgic. Like 90s nostalgic. Sincerely hope it comes to PC or PS4 at some point, as I don’t see myself buying an Xbox One for this alone, even if it does signify a return to “fun” gaming.

#15 2 months ago
  16. zoopdeloop

@ManuOtaku
    of course some will like it,others(like me) wont.but the general consensus of something being mediocre remains which will also apply here
    Let’s not kid ourselves and give credit to something just because it is kinda new and exclusive and kind of fun for a few hours on a boring weekend.
    gamers do crave for new IP this new generation as long as they are imaginative,less generic and most of all have soul.

Insomniac lost their touch way before fuse btw…doesn’t seem any different now

#16 2 months ago
  17. TheWulf

The more I hear, the less I like.

It’s open world, too? So they’re swapping out the sublime level and field designs of the Ratchet & Clank games for a more lazy, generic open area? That’s not surprising, I guess, as it goes with everything else I’ve said about it.

They switched out an interesting non-human nerdy character for a very normal douche-bro, they swapped the eclectic enemies for boring zombies, they swapped the entertaining and actually interesting villains out for more zombies, they swapped the exotic and strange beauty of alien worlds for a more cloyingly familiar earth-like setting, and now they’ve swapped out divine level design for generic open world tosh.

It really is Ratchet & Clank for stupid people.

Oh well.

All I can hope is that they’re also working on a new R&C game.

#17 2 months ago
  18. TheWulf

I have to agree with that, actually. Mario Sunshine was probably my second favourite Mario game (right behind Thousand Year Door). It had some unusual mechanics, and the level design was by far the best the series has seen (and hasn’t been topped since). For me, it was the high point of the series.

#18 2 months ago
  19. TheWulf

Except that it’s Ratchet & Clank for Bros™, as I’ve pointed out in my post above. They took some parts of R&C (weapons, grinding, movement), watered them down, made them more generic, and… that’s it. Honestly, if I had the choice between playing this or the Ratchet & Clank collection, I’d play the latter.

Why would I want to play a game that’s been made less unique, solely for people who can’t handle uniqueness? Yes, I know it’s Insomniac, but all I’m seeing here is a reskinned R&C, in an open world, made all nice and familiar for feeble minds. I cannot respect that. They’re playing it WAY too safe.

I don’t know if it’s because it’s an XBox title or what, but it’s way, way, way too safe for Insomniac.

#19 2 months ago
  20. TheWulf

A micro-singularity gun that makes enemies ragdoll around before getting sucked in is dull? A grenade that hangs in the sky as a disco ball (playing music) and forces groups of enemies to dance is dull? A laser gun that changes enemies into ducks and gets progressively better depending on your efficiency at finding more foes to turn into ducks is dull? A grenade that explodes into cackling mini-robots that flail towards the nearest opponents, only to latch onto them and explode is dull?

You… haven’t actually played Ratchet & Clank, have you?

#20 2 months ago
  21. TheWulf

Pretty much. I’ve recently been replaying the entire Ratchet & Clank series to remind myself of just how prolific Insomniac once were, they were inspired, and I think that when they’re making Ratchet & Clank, they still are.

Anyone who can watch the Ratchet & Clank Movie teaser and not have their socks charmed off is a soulless wretch. To me, that’s so, so endemic of the kind of love that Insomniac have for Ratchet & Clank. But I don’t get that love from Sunset Overdrive, I get marketing and PR. It’s something they’re making for money, rather than something they’re making because they actually want to.

All of the little touches in the Ratchet & Clank games (like the robo-buddies in Up Your Arsenal/3 and Deadlocked/Gladiator, for example) prove to me that they had such a fun time actually making it. But I get none of that feeling of verve and liveliness from Sunset Overdrive, instead, it feels like a mass-produced kind of wacky. The kind of thing that big companies do to sell crap toys to kids. It feels like an advergame.

All I have to do really is say one word: Zombies.

I’m just sitting here, listing off all of the potential enemy types in my head that they could have opted for instead, which would have been endlessly more fun, imaginative, and enjoyable to shoot ridiculous guns at. Zombies isn’t even on that list, because zombies are BORING. They’re the most uninspired drek that’s ever worked its way into anything, and I’m sick of them.

But hey, zombies, because the ES** masses sure love dem some zombies. But then, ES** people tend to like boring things. It is their wont, more than that, it’s their raison d’etre.

They really are boring, unimaginative people. Heck, when an ES** type tries to insult you, the best they can do is use an actual sickness that people are suffering with to do so, thus unnecessarily hurting the feelings of those who’re actually suffering. I still think White is completely depraved for that.

(If you don’t know what I’m talking about, check out the PC E3 article.)

So, yeah, they’re boring people.

Your post is merely two populist memes, combined. How… divinely inspired of you. Bravo! I’m sure you felt that was very clever, very clever, and it was.

Sigh.

#21 2 months ago
  22. M. K.

I don’t see the release date? WHERE’S THE RELEASE DATE?!

Seriously, this looks like fun, I it makes me rememeber how much time I’ve spent with Monday Night Combat on 360. Could be similar :)

#22 2 months ago