Metal Gear Solid 5: every rumour & fact here

Friday, 6th June 2014 16:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is coming. We’re compiling every rumour, fact, screenshot, tweet, trailer and sniff of information about the project from the day it was revealed until it launches in 2015. We must be mad, but you know you love it.

We’ll be updating this page regularly with every new Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes fact, rumour, screen and trailer that emerges. So to stay up to date with the game’s progress from now until release, bookmark this page.

We’re aware you’re not fans of too many page breaks but I’m splitting this up to make the list easier on those viewing on phones. It’s seriously getting ludicrous in length, so here’s a contents guide so you can quickly jump around to find the biggest Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes news. If you have suggestions on the format, please let me know in the comments. Remember: I’m doing this for you guys!

metal-gear-solid-5-snake-phantom-pain-motorcycle-screenshot1

09/06/14 – Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain E3 2014 trailer released

It’s here! The official Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain trailer leaked ahead of the E3 2014 conferences, and it’s all rather dark. Check it out through the link above.

06/06/14 – Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain E3 2014 demo is 30 minutes long

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain will be at E3 2014, and press are being invited to see it running behind closed doors. Kojima has shed some light on the footage, and has also dropped details of the game’s new trailer.

05/06/14 – Watch Kojima play Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain on PS4

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain will be shown via a new trailer at E3 next week, so Hideo Kojima decided to get the hype train rolling by streaming some live gameplay on a PlayStation 4. Salivating yet? Good. Grab a napkin and head below.

01/05/14 – Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes DLC goes multi-format today

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes previously platform-exclusive DLC packs have gone free and multi-format as of today.

25/04/14 – Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes – over 1 million copies shipped worldwide

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes has shipped over 1 million copies worldwide, Konami has announced. The figure isn’t copies sold, but how many units have been sent to retail, which is why digital figures weren’t mentioned. metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes_17

11/04/14 – Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes making-of trailer shows FOX Engine, mo-cap & more

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes publisher Konami has rolled out a making-of video that shows Kojima Productions implemented its new tech, utilised motion capture and more to make the prologue’s visuals sing.

20/03/14 – Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes censored in Japan, Kojima confirms

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes has been censored in Japan, following a decision by the nation’s game rating board CERO.

19/03/14 – VG247 Review – Is Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes worth £30?

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes is a tricky one to peg down. Is is a prologue or demo, and is the boxed code actually worth £30 on PS4 & Xbox One? Gamers have asked Dave Cook many questions about Kojima’s latest this week. Here are the answers

18/03/14 – Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes North American launch trailer released

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes released today in North America, and Konami has sent over the launch trailer for the precursor to The Phantom Pain.

18/03/14 – MGS 5: Ground Zeroes gameplay video: watch VG247 infiltrate the base here

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes reviews are spreading like gunfire in a rain-swept base, and we’ve got some raw gameplay footage for you to check out. Watch as Dave Cook infiltrates Camp Omega, knocks out some fools and gets very wet indeed.

1. Erthazus

Dave Cook, you are crazy (in a good way xD). But that is so awesome. Every rumour out here.

Thank you.

2. Dave Cook

@1 my pleasure :) It’s my job to keep you guys informed, that’s what Pat pays me for ;)

3. KAP

Dave Your a big fan, like me. You Platinum’d MGS4 yet?
    After 11 playthrus I did it eventually noticing more and more little detail within the story as I went along.. very deep story as a whole.

4. dex3108

Well if this doesn’t come to PC i would really be pissed off. If they demonstrating game on PC than and publish it on PC. :D

5. Maximum Payne

When the game is shown on high end PC I don’t need anything else to know :D

6. bitsnark

@Dave

Handy-ass timeline my friend! Though I would say that the last two (or conversely the first two) entries in that timeline are in the wrong year ;)

7. Dave Cook

@6 Thanks man :)

Which ones dude? I’ll amend if you can pinpoint them for me? (The series gets confusing at points)

8. Erthazus

@Dave Cook,

There will be a gameplay trailer today or this MGS anniversary was just for publishers/journalists?

9. bitsnark

@7 No worries dude, it wasn’t the in-game chronology, rather the chronology of facts leaked/released about the game:

“21/12/12 – Kojima: Project Ogre an open-world affair”

And

“16/12/12 – Kojima teases Project Ogre, posts screens on Twitter”

:D

10. Dave Cook

@9 ah gotcha, yeah they’re a bit varied the further back you go, but going forward it’ll all be chronological :) This article is going to get massive from now until the game launches.

11. dsr

Its me or it looks like Splinter Cell suit?

12. LuLshuck

This just proves that Hideo Kojima cant make a new IP

13. deathm00n

@12 He doesn’t need to

Awesome news indeed, I hope this gets realised in PS3, Playstation is where the franchise was born and almost all games where exclusives to it, but it will be nice to have it on PC

14. V

although i’m a fan of this Game but it wasn’t thing that I expected,

15. Ireland Michael

Oh hey, it’s Sam Fisher.

16. ejams

I’m thinking this might be one of those iffy games that has the potential to be released next-gen, just from the way they’re describing it and how they’ve only shown (confirmed?) it on PC. Then again, maybe it’ll get dialed back for current gen, but I would much rather wait for a PS4 version with all the bells and whistles, and no damn lag/freezing *cough* skyrim *cough*

17. Yoshi

I wasn’t going to comment but I will just quickly comment to say thanks for this. It’s an awesome collection of all rumours :D

18. Dave Cook

@17 thanks man :)

19. DGOJG

@18 Just to let you know Dave the title “Ground Zeroes” was just the name of the demo not the game itself.

20. CPC_RedDawn

@13… They did say that its aimed out current gen PC hardware. Not console hardware. So I doubt you will see this on current gen consoles. If so then that’s great, and would be a great achievement from Konami.

This is funny now, dev’s are clinging onto the PC to show people what can be done with graphics now as I think they have gotten board (like many of use have) with current gen consoles, which I just being milked for all their worth to be honest.

This is why we are seeing more exclusive PC features in games and new engines. Cryengine 3, Frostbite 2, Unreal Engine 4, Square Enix new engine (forgot name), Fox Engine, Ubisoft’s Watchdogs, etc, etc. All show a dramatic difference when on a PC or some can’t even run on current gen consoles. Its as if they all want new toys to play with, and have gotten board with their old toys (engines) lol. Trying to entice Sony and Microsoft to release some new hardware.

Sony I think still have a few years left in the PS3, their exclusives look damn amazing for the hardware they are on (the last of us, beyond… anyone?) 360 needs to die, and it needs to die now. Kinect is the worst thing in gaming since The Power Glove from Nintendo! LOL and Halo 4… come on stop milking old dead boring franchises and make something new and fresh!

21. TheOutcastWolf

PS3 Version: The outcome was never really in doubt

Possible PC Version: Well this might work, but I really don’t see why do this…

Possible 360 Version: Kojima lost his soul to Nether

22. WWBFMD

this is all just the coolest news, i feel like i need to go out and celebrate, it honestly feels like i won something amazing!

23. GwynbleiddiuM

Dave Cook you’re awesome, plain and simple. I’m really happy you joined VG247 man.

24. ejams

@23 – I whole-heartedly agree haha watch this turn into a Dave Cook appreciation post :D

EDIT:
    To keep this from being an otherwise bland “I love you post”, you’ve added new features like this, you give your own opinion and take to the comments quite often, you do some side reviews, but most importantly you and the rest of the team work around the clock to keep us all happy and enlightened and we thank you :D

On topic:
    Open world stealth espionage action with the label of Metal Gear Solid = Yes

25. Dave Cook

@23 & 24

Haha thanks guys, I’ve suggested we do more round ups like this going forward on the biggest reveals, just so you can see everything in one place :)

26. hives

The boy IS Chico from Peace Walker. It’s confirmed in gameplay from IGN. I just wonder why Naked Snake is so old, if GZ setting is right after Peace Walker…

27. Clupula

@26 – first, never believe anything IGN tell you. They’re the ones who reported the cancellation of FF Versus XIII without even putting a rumor tag to it, which every other site on earth knew to do.

I suspect this is about 10-15 years after Peace Walker, otherwise, Big Boss wouldn’t look as old as he does. But if that’s the case, Chico should be much older.

28. Da Man

Sam? Sam?! Saaaaaaaam!!

29. hives

@27 – I don’t rely on IGN journalists, just on the fact that developer playing demo said that the boy is Chico. So…

Source: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/09/01/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-extended-14-minute-demo

Listen when guy explains how map works, he reffers to “the boy we saw earlier” as Chico.

30. JohnnyCrash8

sam fisher had different goggles and a different suit. Count the number of optics. And Metal Gear Solid came out in 1998, four years before any splinter cell game. So who really copied who?

31. LuLshuck

Im confused to why you think the character is snake and not big boss, not being a dick or anything but i think more evidence leads more to big boss then snake on that phantom trailer but im not sure if its snake or big boss in ground zero but a great article, nicely done :D

32. Dave Cook

@31 I do think it’s Big Boss, but if I call him ‘Big Boss’ in every sentence then my piece will read like shit :)

People refer to him as Snake in Peace Walker too.

And thanks for the feedback. This article is going to be huge by the time the game(s) come out.

33. Erthazus

Hey, I have a conspiracy idea here.
    Maybe he is not Big Boss but Liquid Snake?
    Look, No arm/British flag in the trailer (Liquid Snake was raised as a clone in England).

Kojima is nuts, that’s for sure.

34. Dave Cook

@33 I think the arm is a hallucination personally. I think he still has his arm. Or, all of this could be a horrible coma-dream induced by The Sorrow – hence all the nightmarish visions he’s having.

Wish Kojima would just level with us :P

35. Erthazus

@34, Yeah, maybe you are right. I think Kojima trolled us too much.

Now I want to understand what this game is about. If Kojima will do another trailer with whales and strange things I will go nuts myself.

36. Dave Cook

@35 I know, his love of the theatrical is getting annoying now. I want facts.

37. Dragon246

This trailer didn’t look good to me imo, in comparison to the AWESOME mgs ground zeroes one. Although that hidden mgs5 logo all but proves that this is indeed mgs5. But why did they announce 2 mgS (Solid ones)games at once? This looks odd.
    Btw, I love this style of reveal, after all its the best stealth game ever :)

38. pianomanjack

Hey, great article. I agree it’s compelling evidence but there are some inconsistencies to me. The whole logo thing? Kojima has always used numbers, not Roman numerals. And why Sweden? They’ve gone through so much effort to officially register that site to Sweden and put it in Swedish etc.

Also, I don’t know if you can get the footage, but in the VGA pre show, Geoff keighley was interviewed, and hinted at the two big reveals. One was a continuation of a franchise….dark souls 2…..the other he said was something they had been working on for 18 months, and he must have meant this trailer…..

Also, Geoff keighleys twitter status said that the phantom pain is something from a completely new game, never seen before. While this doesn’t rule out mgs, it does rule out ground zeroes.

Hope this helps Dave :) ill search around for that interview vid…..

39. phoeniks314

One more thing
    David Hayter About The Phantom Pain Trailer: “It Made My Arm Hurt”

40. Dave Cook

@38 Thanks man :)

I reckon Keighley is feeding us misinformation on Twitter to be honest. There are so many nods to Metal Gear here that it’s hard to see how it couldn’t be a Metal Gear title.

But anything’s possible in Kojima-land after all :)

41. ryan.schoon

You missed something in your trailer breakdown. RIGHT at the end, just about the 3:03 mark, when that solider is pointing his flashlight in snake’s face, behind him you see a floating figure that VERY much resembles Psycho Mantis or at least a similar character. Very possible that this figure is inducing all of these fiery hallucinations in Snake’s mind. Notice how the building doesn’t really seem to be on fire, its all in his head.

42. Dave Cook

@41 Superb find. I’ll add this in. Many thanks :)

43. ryan.schoon

You’re welcome! I about shit a brick when I saw that!

44. Dave Cook

@43 yeah that is proper creepy :D Well spotted.

45. Erthazus

@Dave Cook, “There are so many nods to Metal Gear here that it’s hard to see how it couldn’t be a Metal Gear title.”

I think Geoff wanted to say that it is a completely new game, but with Metal Gear brand on it.

It can be anything, even a horror game or Metal Gear Dance Party.

46. Dave Cook

@45 I can actually believe that Kojima would do that :P

Taiko Drum Master: MGS Edition.

47. Sn4ke_911

48. Dave Cook

@47 oh good lord, you legend :D

Amazing. Adding now.

49. Gekidami

Everyone remember this?

Yeah.

50. Erthazus

By the way, there is one fact for sure that he completely dropped Playstation as an exclusive developer for that platform.

So now he is multiplat only developer. That’s for sure. He talked about that before, but now it is 100%

51. Dave Cook

@49 what was that for (aside from Revengeance of course)? Why does he look so messed up?

52. Erthazus

@51, that was a logo in the past for Metal Gear Rising (not reveangence for that time) and that mask was a hint for a new Castlevania: Lords of Shadows.

Crazy Kojima-san

53. GwynbleiddiuM

@pianomanjack Actually, he used it on his MGS4 parody trailer, the one he created with MGS3 engine, 3 bullet cases roll over on the ground after Snake shoots the entire cast to free up a sit and they formed IV. But still you’re right.

54. Ercarret

As someone who hasn’t followed anything of this at all until I saw The Phantom Pain’s trailer, I gotta say, I found this article a little confusing. When you mention that Ground Zeroes has been announced in the first paragraph, I thought that Kojima had announced that after the The Phantom Pain trailer, confirming the link between the two. It seemed weird, announcing something like that (on a sunday!) just a day after you tease people with a strange trailer, since I thought the whole point of it would have been to get people talking for a while. But hey, Kojima can be weird. I guess.

A quick Google search revealed that that wasn’t the case, though, and that Ground Zeroes was revealed earlier (and that this is simply the latest speculations regarding it). But perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to point that out in the beginning? For us n00bs? :P

(Or I’m just confused because I’m tired as f**k. That’s also a distinct possibility.)

Oh, and one more thing – an itsy-bitsy detail hardly worth mentioning, but since you’re talking about Kojima related stuff: it’s not Joakim MoRGen, it’s MoGRen. The correct spelling contains “Ogre”, which is the code name of … Kojima’s next game? Something like that. As I said, I’m not that into all of this, but I picked that up from somewhere. :)

Still, with all of this said: wow, what a guide to all things Ground Zeroes related. Even though I’m not hugely invested in the MGS series, it’s fun to see such commitment from a writer. I applaud that.

55. GwynbleiddiuM

BTW, why there isn’t a single HD trailer out there yet. I hate these low FPS and shit quality trailers out there.

@54 you’re too late for presenting you detective skills.

56. Gekidami

@Dave
    It was a teaser that was MGS5 for sure! …Till it turned out to be for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
    Point is people read into stuff way too much, and whilst the hints here are defiantly way more solid, some stuff just seems unlikely. For example, the guy with the burnt face being the guy with the bandages seems unlikely because if Ground Zereos is a “prologue” to this, that means that the guy with the burnt face was in hospital and had his burnt face all bandaged up after Ground Zeroes.

57. Bomba Luigi

I don’t care all these Rumors and stuff, i just want to know how many Money I have to throw at Kojima. He can have it all.

58. Dave Cook

@56 GZ isn’t a prologue in terms of the plot timeline, more that it’s a preview to the full MGS 5 game :)

The placing of GZ in the timeline is after the hospital scene, I’m sure of it.

59. GwynbleiddiuM

@56 The man with brunt face is not the same man with the bandaged faced. If you get a closer look at the bandaged man, there are portions of his face visible underneath that clearly are unharmed, while the burnt man doesn’t have a face at all.

60. Dave Cook

@59 plus, I don’t think the building is on fire at all. It’s either a coma-dream or a Sorrow/Mantis-induced hallucination.

Also, bear in mind that Mantis – as a child – burned down his entire village using his thoughts alone.

61. osric90

@2 Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. You know what’s the phantom pain, right?

62. CyberMarco

I found this, from another guy on FB.

It’s Big Boss when Dr. Madnar remakes him grom death caused from the brutal fight against Solid Snake (end of Metal Gear 2?). The code name is Snatcher project about 1996 or 1999. The clues:

-The head. The Snatcher project conserved the head and the brain, so the wound on his face is natural on Big Boss, but the other parts of the body are from other people.

-The ear. Big Boss lost his ear fighting against Solid Snake and in the video we can see how Big Boss has his ear covered.

-He has many memories from his past,like Volgin, the Joy (the Boss) and the Sorrow. Also the girl in front of the elevator is Paz, for sure.

*Disclaimer: I found this info on the net, seams they could be real, maybe not. What do you think?

63. Mike W

Great job Dave, this is game journalism at its finest :)

64. manamana

Can’t wait, pre-order A.S.A.P.

65. SolidGamerSnake

@47 @48

that burning dude is definetly Volgin, not Big Boss. The leg part sure looks similiar to Big Boss sneaking suit, but if you look closer you notice that:

1. the burning guys suit is red ( just like Volgins)
    2. The sleeves are short ( “”)
    3. he is burning^^ ( Volgin burned to death)
    4 it also looks like he is wearing an ammunition belt (just like you know who)

rediscovered this post through a link in a recent article and wanted to prevent that humanity suffers through misinformation^^

66. makta112

This is awesome. Thanks, man! Btw, I believe there’s a typo in the latest update: 06/03/12 ;)

67. Hellhound30x

You know, I can feel it in the pit of my stomach… MGS 5 is going to be something special! Its going to leave a lot of gamers in awe… I’m more excited about these games than I am next generation console launches. That says alot doesn’t it?
    C’mon Kojima… BRING IT!

68. garcham

I think the Guy with the bandaid could be gratis fox with the boss from after metal gear 2

69. loki

Posted in: PC facepalm
    vg’s authors are total noobs. Game have two official platform: PS3 and Xbox 360. No PC, PC only in yours dreams

#69 1 year ago
  70. Hellhound30x

BRING BACK DAVID HAYTER, SIGN THE PETITION!

#70 1 year ago
  71. Rockin a Jack D

Dear god, another MGS game. The IP fucking sucks and has since it’s conception. There are far superior games worthy of my time on the PC.

#71 1 year ago
  72. AHA-Lambda

Why is this constantly updated? No other game gets this.

#72 1 year ago
  73. ps3fanboy

MGS = multiplatforms….interest gone *POFF* and *flush toilets*

#73 1 year ago
  74. Clupula

Multiplatform or not, I can’t wait for this. Although I will say Sutherland sounds very weird as Big Boss.

#74 1 year ago
  75. Armitage Shanks

Awesome trailer at E3,all aboard the hype train choo choo!

#75 1 year ago
  76. mistermogul

@72 – Yeah good point, VG should do these for all big releases…

Anyway when’s this coming out?

#76 12 months ago
  77. Dave Cook

@76 they’re hard to do tbh, if I did them for all big games I’d kill myself ;)

That said, what games do you think might qualify for similar treatment?

#77 12 months ago
  78. mistermogul

@77 – well Farming Simulator should have got this for starters! ;)

But on a serious note, yeah this must take a lot of effort on your part so maybe it’s not feasible really.

However if you did do it more often it could be reserved maybe just for the big AAA titles like this, GTA, Halo, Mario 3D etc?

Problem then though is that peoples perceptions of “big AAA titles” all vary so some gamers will wonder why some games are getting special treatment and some aren’t…

How come this happened for MGS? Just because there is a lot of info on it or you love the franchise or something?

#78 12 months ago
  79. Legendaryboss

Why haven’t I commented on this? Kaz looks different, almost unrecognisable. Big Boss got a facial makeover and a pony tail to keep his hair in check. We just need to know about the multiplayer that’s being handled by a different dev team and the spiritual successor to Peace Walker’s recruitment and development system. This is going to be a controversial game for certain issues.

#79 3 months ago
  80. Dave Cook

@Legendaryboss Really keen to see how the multiplayer pans out, what with all the modern advances in online etc.

#80 3 months ago
  81. Dragon

Hey, I was on this page, 2 years ago!
    More than a years wait still left.

#81 3 months ago