Xbox One controller support for PC has arrived

Thursday, 5th June 2014 16:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Praise be to the video gaming gods: those who possess an Xbox One controller can now use it on their PC gaming rigs.

The drivers for the Xbox One controller will be available for download from today via early access. The main release will land as part of a Windows update in the near future.

“We know our fans have wanted PC compatibility, and we know they wanted to be able to use the Xbox One controller with the same games and applications they have been playing with using the Xbox 360 controller,” said Microsoft. “We can’t wait for them to play their favorite PC games with what we consider the best controller ever made.

“The new PC drivers will enable the Xbox One controller to be used with any game that featured gamepad support for the Xbox 360 controller. Simply download the drivers, connect your Xbox One controller to your computer through a micro USB cable and you’ll be gaming in no time.”

You can download the driver through a link posted on Major Nelson, and more details are available on Xbox Wire.

I told you I’m wasn’t very good at predictions.

1. ddtd

Cool.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

Great, except the batteries die stupidly fast and I’m not buying an over-priced battery charger pack.

Wait a minute, I’m actually being negative about games. What’s happening to me?! :O

(It’s true though, those things aint cheap)

#2 6 months ago
  3. BrokenSpline

See no E3 announcement. :P

#3 6 months ago
  4. ysleiro

Wow MS, this update pace you got going on is literally head spinning fast.

I’ve never seen a console get updated so frequently and not just crap updates either.

#4 6 months ago
  5. ysleiro

@Dave Cook First I hear of somebody complaining about the battery life on the Xbox One controller. I always got the impression people were happy with that.

You should buy rechargeables man.

#5 6 months ago
  6. silverstorm

No wireless support yet though.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

@ysleiro I absolutely should, you’re totally right :D

#7 6 months ago
  8. Hcw87

Considering the controller must be plugged in to work on PC, batteries shouldn’t be a problem. It’ll just work like the old X360 wires controller (if i haven’t overlooked anything).

#8 6 months ago
  9. Kreion

@Dave Cook

Plug the damn thing in, surely you don’t sit that far away from your PC -.- Could be an issue with the T.V though…but I’ve never liked wireless controllers for that reason.

#9 6 months ago
  10. DBGT

Praise The Sun!
    Do we have to connect it to the PC all the time?
    How to get use from wireless?

#10 6 months ago
  11. BrokenSpline

@DBGT

“Do we have to connect it to the PC all the time?”

“How to get use from wireless?”

You don’t not unless you buy a receiver like the 360 controller but that is yet to be announced.

#11 6 months ago
  12. ManuOtaku

Well i prefer the way the one handles the battery issue, you can place rechargeable batteries or like the ps3 , charging it through the console, having options is grear.

Personally I do prefer rechargeable battery, i have more control and options than a propietary battery, but i know there is people that prefer it the other way around, thats the beauty of having options.

#12 6 months ago
  13. polygem

great. will buy one asap!

#13 6 months ago
  14. DBGT

@BrokenSpline so 360 receiver will works on X1 controller?

#14 6 months ago
  15. FoureyesZero

I have heard from a lot people that the xbox one controller is bad.
    Stick with the 360 controller its much better.

#15 6 months ago
  16. ddtd

@FoureyesZero I’ve never heard that before. Works great, IMO.

#16 6 months ago
  17. BrokenSpline

@DBGT

Nope doesn’t work. Different protocols.

#17 6 months ago
  18. AmiralPatate

Does “PC” means Windows 7 as well?

#18 6 months ago
  19. TheWulf

That’s the reason I still use a 360 pad with my PC and will until something actually requires the One controller. I have nothing against the One’s controller, mind you, but your complaint is my complaint. It’s just not worth it right now.

It’s odd, really, because often I have nothing but praise for Microsoft’s hardware division. Which seems to be not the same as their console manufacturing division. In general, though, any peripheral their hardware division puts out is of a very high quality. In the past, I’ve enjoyed Microsoft mice, keyboards, joysticks, controllers, and other things, all the while complaining about how bad their software is. :P

Their hardware division, however, is usually beyond reproach. And the 360 controller does stand up to scrutiny. The only complaint I’ve ever had about the 360 controller is that the d-pad is utterly shit. They need to take cues from how SEGA’s been doing d-pads. SEGA, from Mega Drive to Dreamcast, was a master of d-pads, better than Nintendo and pretty much everyone else. This is why some Street Fighter players swear by using an actual Saturn pad (as I do).

Saturn pads aren’t cheap to come by, but thankfully I already had one. Interestingly, the Saturn pad is compatible with the PS3, which I was amused to find when I plugged it in to see if it would ‘just work.’ (It did.) It seems that only Microsoft does proprietary software stuff with their USB ports, disabling a lot of third party stuff just because they can. But there I go again, complaining about Microsoft’s software (which has always been horrid, from OS to games.)

But yeah. I’d get a One controller too, if they didn’t run out of battery so damned fast. I have absolutely no umbrage towards Microsoft’s hardware division because they’ve given me so many sturdy, long-lasting, reasonably priced products in the past. The Sidewinder is still one of my favourite flight sticks, despite having a Saitek.

Sooooo… yeah. Hopefully they get it fixed?

#19 6 months ago
  20. TheWulf

It does when white hat hackers get their mitts on it! That’s pretty much what happened with the 360 pad and XP — the drivers got backported. Then Microsoft got fed up and released the drivers for XP officially, which was funny.

As I’ll keep saying, it’s Microsoft’s software that forever sucks, despite their hardware being pretty great. Holding drivers for ransom is about as uncool as tinkering with the USB firmware on their 360 console to disallow a number of third party controllers.

#20 6 months ago
  21. TheWulf

Yeah, but it’s using the wrong kind of battery for that. They really need to be using a more heavy duty battery for recharging, much as the PS3 (PS4?) does. So I’m still iffy about the One’s pad for that reason. That make sense?

I guess it just feels like they should have used a Li-ion battery or something similar. Something that can do a little more than just some batteries you pick up at the supermarket.

#21 6 months ago
  22. spoffle

Can we please stop calling PCs “rigs”? They’re not rigs, so let’s stop pretending they are.

#22 6 months ago
  23. Kreion

@TheWulf

Plug. It. In.

You don’t need wireless when you’re sitting a foot away from your PC. In fact I’ve never met or known anyone who used a wireless pad for PC gaming – I’m amazed people do.

#23 6 months ago
  24. fengato

No ‘bone in my household till Halo comes out. For those actually in the know, do you prefer the new controller to the 360 wired? (and why).

#24 6 months ago
  25. spoffle

@Kreion It’s simply more comfortable to play wirelessly, and why not if it’s an option? I found it extremely easy to set up my PS3 controller to connect to my PCs via bluetooth, why bother being tethered, meaning I have to accommodate the wiring which might impact comfort?

#25 6 months ago
  26. JabBauer

Awesome, I need a new controller for my PC! The thumbsticks are way beyond worn out.

#26 6 months ago