Lovely E3 trailer for Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty is a sight for sore eyes

Thursday, 5th June 2014 17:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty has a new trailer specifically created for E3 2014 available. Prepare your eyes for the loveliness and then head below.

According to the description, the trailer “illustrates the drama and emotion that underpins a story of danger, desperation and the will to survive against all odds.”

It is a lovely thing to behold, and while Elodie Adams’ “Born to Love You” may seem like an odd choice for music, it somehow fits.

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty will be given a release date before E3 starts on June 9, last we heard, and it will be playable at E3 next week.

The Cross-Buy title on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4 will run you $29.99 in the US, €24.99 in Europe and – approximately – £19.99 in the UK.

News on other platforms will follow in due course.

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty is due for PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Mac, PC and Linux.

1. Tormenter

So what’s the gameplay going to be in this one?

Kinda looks adventurish, a la BG&E.

#1 2 months ago
  2. Zarckan

@1 like this…

#2 2 months ago
  3. Panthro

Water just broke.

#3 2 months ago
  4. Tormenter

@Zarckan

Ah, so just the same as the previous but in 3d.. fair enough, good for fans of the past titles.

Not my cuppa though.. what a difference a trailer makes… Thanks for the link.

#4 2 months ago
  5. Legendaryboss

That music. Perfection.

#5 2 months ago
  6. yeoung

Hmm, the currency conversion rates aren’t complete nonsense, I like it. Also, I absolutely adored Abe’s Odyssey, I vividly remember possessing the grunt soldiers to make some pretty funky remixes

“Look out!” “Look out!” “l-l-l-l-look out!” “Get em” “hehehe” followed by head-explode and Abe farting and whistling. Ooohh memory lane..

#6 2 months ago
  7. Gheritt White

SOLD.

That’s it, I’m def buying a PS4 now.

#7 2 months ago
  8. ManuOtaku

Great, it looks sweet and lovely indeed, the story seems to be quite touching, which is good, now i will buy this and the hd remake of strangets warth, in order to have them in the same console.

@ Gheritt, didnt you have already? shame on you….oh the shame…… i had you in such a high steem. Og might had a word with you regarding this ;-)

#8 2 months ago
  9. ManuOtaku

oh. And i forgot to mention, when they wil be doing the hd remake of abe and much oddisey, i did also like that game back in the day.

#9 2 months ago
  10. YoungZer0

Meh! Was hoping for some ingame music, but oh well. Still freakin’ amazing.

#10 2 months ago
  11. ddtd

Is this a reboot or a new entry?

#11 2 months ago
  12. TheWulf

This is the stuff. The ’90s and early ’00s were made of this, it was a different time, when a game didn’t necessarily need a one-dimensional human protagonist, or a familiar, earth-like setting, or a completely derivative foe. This is why I dislike Sunset Overdrive so much, because for all of its colour, it’s a half-arsed, half-hearted betrayal of what Insomniac once were, at some point in the past.

I continue to miss it, a lot. As I said, I feel that there’s much of the more interesting parts of my hobby that were destroyed by overly simple-minded people. And it’s really a crying shame. I can think of so many casualties. I can think of so many franchises that were watered down so much in order to appeal to a less innately human, almost feral demographic.

There was a time when a developer was actually allowed to exercise their imagination, to do whatever they liked, and we had windows into so many different minds thanks to that. You didn’t need drugs, back then, you just needed to play video games. They were as strange, eclectic, and eccentric as they came. And Abe’s Oddyssee was among them. And then that just… stopped happening so much. The market shifted towards feral creatures parading in human bodies, lacking self awareness yet somehow having way too much money, and video games got… well, blissfully meaningless. Almost blithe and twee in their unrepentant lack of dignity. The labour of love became forgotten in favour of the gaming equivalent of cheap labour toy factories.

One of the quotes said that this was a passion project, a thing made of love, and it very clearly is. This was what was common in the ’90s — people making the things that they loved, and getting the money to actually realise them. These days, getting money for a project that doesn’t have the aforementioned hallmarks (a one-dimensional human character, with a familiar, earth-like setting, and derivative foes) is like getting blood from a stone.

This is why Ratchet & Clank became Sunset Overdrive. Undead Robot Pirates just became ‘zombies,’ the crazed mechanic Lombaz (last of his species) became just some everyday jerkass (and he is a jerkass with that hairstyle), and the fabulous alien locales became a slightly wacky but entirely too recognisable depiction of earth. This is what’s happening. Sunset Overdrive is Ratchet & Clank for stupid people.

Stupid people like cloyingly familiar settings, douchebag human characters, and zombies. You just need to look at the kinds of games that are selling like hotcakes at the moment to understand just how completely true this is. And it’s why I persist with how inane and worthless anyone of the ES** personality type is.

Ratchet & Clank for stupid people. Offensive to someone smart enough to understand that, but the stupid ones will lap it up.

Anyway, thing is, this isn’t Sunset Overdrive. This is something that has the awareness, the intelligence, and the self-confidence to be what it wants to be. And I find that self-confidence inspiring and admirable. Instead of being a cowardly cop-out in the vein of Sunset Overdrive, it wears its strangeness on its sleeve. And if you don’t want it? Fuck you, it doesn’t need you, you can take your money elsewhere.

This one’s for all of those people who value entertainment with actual worth. Good on them for it. I will cheer on their confidence until the end of my days. I feel there is still very much a market for this sort of thing. Just because more IN** people have been forgotten, it doesn’t mean we’re not here, and it doesn’t mean that you can’t make money from us. I expect that this will be wildly successful!

See, here’s the thing: Many publishers test the waters to see if the IN** demographic is profitable, but they half-arse it so bad that we’re just not interested — Sunset Overdrive et al. If they actually went all the way with the strangeness, the intelligence, and the very personal nature of prior games. You can’t have personality if the person doesn’t put themselves into it. Sunset Overdrive feels like a marketing effort more than it does a passion project, because it’s clearly designed to be unchallenging, commonplace, generic, unintelligent, and devoid of its own personality.

We’re not stupid. We know when you’re stealing. If we feel that your game has its own personality and intelligence, though, then we’re going to buy it in droves.

And don’t be afraid to be smarter than us! We like not just the odd difficult challenge, but insightful dialogue/lore/situations that challenge our minds and ethics. Frankly, it’s a given that we’re going to respect you for it, a lot. The average person the IN** (like myself) meets is more concerned with the weather than, say, the fate of mankind. They’ve never heard terms like ‘morphological freedom,’ ‘transhumanism,’ ‘the Singularity,’ ‘medical equivalence,’ ‘post-scarcity society,’ or so on. So it’s hard to be a dreamer around them, they’re so caught up in the moment. They’re more likely to talk about the weather. I have no interest in the weather right now unless the weather is doing something particularly unusual!

And this game, like too few others in recent years, is treating us as though we’re intelligent. Yes, we can handle non-human characters, we aren’t lobotomised, xenophobic, creatively bankrupt drones — we’re individuals! We’re fascinated by alien worlds and exploration, rather than scared of them — we have no desire to cling to earth as though we were immature little children. We like having interesting and intellectually/emotionally engaging foes that challenge us on many levels — we’re not going to throw a wobbly if our foes don’t turn out to be some one-dimensional ancient evil designed to placate dribbling idiots who couldn’t handle anything more than that. (Yes, I’m talking about the ES** reaction to ME3′s ending.)

We exist. And we want more games like this.

#12 2 months ago
  13. Gheritt White

@TheWulf Couldn’t you exist a little more quietly? Please?

#13 2 months ago
  14. TheWulf

You know, moreover, I’m still amazed at how much more intelligent even Ratchet & Clank is versus the drek (pun intended) we have shovelled at us today. Compare any AAA villain with a villain from Ratchet & Clank. Let’s look at the villains!

CEO Drek: A wonderful satire of a well-groomed, sociopathic big business leader who thinks more of his shareholders and profits than life itself. Someone clearly had passionate views about unchecked capitalism. As a corollary, I find myself compelled to point out big pharma companies, who frequently push medicines for symptoms whilst trying to shut down or bury actual cures. Which makes a lot of sense, for them!

Captain Qwark: A low-life sleaze, a school bully of little intelligence who values his external appearance over all else. Yes, Qwark is an ES** parody and a bloody good one at that! He doesn’t want to be a hero, he just wants to look like one for other people so that he’s able to revel in those good vibes. Though Ratchet & Clank (both nerdy introverts) try to appeal to his better nature in R&C 3, believing that even he can be saved after he betrayed them to pursue his own ends so many times.

Nefarious: A school bully whose only desire was to rid the world of an actual bully that they didn’t know about. His major flaw was his hatred for a very upper-class metropolitan area that worshipped Qwark (though that just made him more sympathetic to me). He was driven by his memories of constantly being bullied and separated from everyone else, oppressed and shunned. Once he became a robot, he began to understand and empathise with what he perceived to be a similar oppression and separation suffered by robots, seeing them as his kith and kin.

Nefarious ended up even being a ‘sort of’ good guy, as the canon goes, which is really nifty. Most notably in All4One. Just as Qwark managed to put his narcissism and obsession with his externalised perception behind him in favour of actually being a person with genuine worth. They’re more fun, and despite being comical cartoon villains, I can understand what they’re supposed to be doing more than I can with most villains in AAA games these days.

I mean, look at the Reapers. Initially they were supposed to be this one-dimensional ancient evil — there was nothing else to them. HEY, THEY EVIL, THAT MEANS I KILLS ‘EM, YEAH? And then, in the end, they turned out to be mind-controlled slaves, and the one who made them that way was a badly programmed computer who was suffering under a forced, illogical order that he couldn’t reconcile (the Catalyst). It’s funny because I theorised about all of this before 3, and I theorised the coders before the Leviathan DLC turned up. It was all so obvious to me, because 3 had so many hints as to the true nature of the Leviathans.

Smart Person: Ah. I have new information, this is information I didn’t have before. I need to ponder this data and consider it, as it may very well indeed change my views and opinions. Hm. So the Reapers were slaves? Well… huh. I don’t think that killing them would be right, now, because you can’t blame a mind-controlled slave for their actions. No, no, I can’t kill them. It’s not their fault. The real perpetrators are the Leviathans, having crafted the Catalyst AI so poorly and then having given it an impossible task.

Stupid Person: STAY THE COURSE! STAY THE COURSE! STAY THE COURSE! JUST LIKE MY HERO, GEORGE BUSH! I CAME HERE TO KILL SOME GUYS! GOTTA DO SOME KILLIN’S. I GOT ME A KILL BUTTON. GUNNA PUSH IT. GUNNA PUSH IT. KILL THEM ALL. THE MASS EFFECT ENDING FELT DISAPPOINTING AS SOME PEOPLE THINK I’M AN INSANE VILLAIN FOR KILLING THEM. YOU SHOULDN’T HAVE ADDED NEW INFORMATION, BIOWARE. MY BRAIN DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH NEW INFORMATION. STAY THE COURSE!!!!!!!!!

And that’s the grudge I have against modern video games being made for ES** people, because they’re simply not as smart as I am. I mean, I’m note even the most intelligent IN** I know. Ha. Not by a long shot. I know IN**s from all over the scale. But the thing is is that we’re so intelligent by comparison that it’s like comparing the intelligence of a herd animal (like a cow) with that of a cetacean. It’s a huge difference.

I’m tired of games being stupid. I’m okay with silly, I love silly, silly is fine. But games these days are genuinely stupid. I’m not okay with stupid.

Even R&C was clever, so I can handle the silliness, I even like it. But I just…

The stupidity.

The evolution of the Reapers and the people playing Mass Effect are the only evidence I need to prove my point. Mass Effect 1 was an utterly stupid game, honestly. 2 had some pretty great moments (making the geth more three-dimensional), and then the third was the best of them all. I hate one-dimensionality. One-dimensionality is for stupid people who can’t handle more dimensions.

It BUGS me. :I

I shouldn’t be able to point at R&C, a game intended to be a silly game for kids, and say that your grown up games are infinitely more stupid than those kiddie games would be on a bad day.

#14 2 months ago
  15. Gheritt White

@TheWulf tumbleweeds.gif

#15 2 months ago
  16. polygem

The music is completely off – the rest is spot on! Good stuff.

#16 2 months ago
  17. polygem

@TheWulf

you´re having a point there and i hear you about sunset overdrive too. it still looks like a lot of fun to me but yea, i know what you mean – it definitely could have been much more than what it tries to be.

#17 2 months ago