A Year of Delays: the big games that have slipped… and why Destiny could be next

Wednesday, 4th June 2014 15:17 GMT By Matt Martin

Batman Arkham Knight

arkhamknight10

Ow, this is the one that stings the most. Delayed until 2015 after a release penciled in for this year. This is the game where we finally get to drive the Batmobile but it looks like it just got a flat tyre.

What they said: “We just want to make sure we are giving Batman fans and gamers the best Batman experience that we can possibly deliver and that just takes time.”

What we say: Batman is WB Games’ biggest core franchise, it can’t afford to cock it up. We don’t really care about Shadow of Mordor or Gauntlet and Mortal Kombat 10 is too far away. This is wise like Alfred Pennyworth calming down a hot-headed master Bruce.

Expected release: We reckon March – May 2015 when the release slate is supposedly quieter.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

the_witcher_3_wild_hunt

We’ve waited three years for a follow up to Assassins of Kings, so we’re just going to accept a delay until February 2015. The fact that CD Projekt has confidently given us a new release month tells us the game is still under control and honestly needs just a little more tweaking.

What they said: “We could have released the game towards the end of this year as we had initially planned. Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us.”

What we say: No gaming experience is better than a perfectly crafted RPG. There are only a handful of those, and we’re expecting The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to join them. We can wait. We will wait. We must wait.

Expected release: February 2015 according to CD Projekt.

Dying Light

dying light preorder bonus (1)

We don’t get all sniffy about Techland games because they always put fun first. But this last-minute delay by almost a year is a concern. When exactly did they realise it needed more work?

What they said: “We believe the Natural Movement element of our game will change what you expect from the genre, and we don’t want to sacrifice any of its potential by releasing too early.”

What we say: We don’t believe the parkour-style Natural Movement feature will change open-world games, to be honest. Although this is likely to be a fun game, the delay isn’t that big a deal because Dying Light isn’t at the top of our most wanted lists.

Expected release: February 2015. That’s going to be a busy month, eh?

On to page 3 where we lament new IP and an infamous, seemingly endless, delay.

1. CyberMarco

The more I see delays of upcoming games the more I’m convinced that the new consoles where rushed as hell.

On the other hand there was a feeling that the PS360 were too old. Oh Gaming Industry you! the most incompetent of them all…

#1 5 months ago
  2. undermyrules

in my book Destiny is more overhyped than Watch Dogs was…Watch dogs turn out good game(and not GOTY like we thought it gonna be) but Destiny will fail 100% with like 55/100 reviews.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Erthazus

@CyberMarco They were not rushed. Well, PS4 is not rushed that’s for sure.

Upcoming AAA games are always delayed.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

That connection makes absolutely no sense.

#4 5 months ago
  5. OlderGamer

Cyber+1

My biggest beef with gaming right now is lack of next gen games. I can deal with them not being graphical power houses. They aren’t terrible looking either. But if the new games don’t start and keep coming…what is the point of having a next gen system?

I just play PC while I wait.

#5 5 months ago
  6. DiodeX

Looks like that 2015 is the real start of next gen consoles. Hang in there me ole trusty 360 :D

#6 5 months ago
  7. Dog4life

Nextgen consoles came out way too early.

They could have waited 1 good year later for the release, maybe with even better HW specs

#7 5 months ago
  8. Erthazus

Next-gen is a stupid buzz word for high school children and it works against these machines.

PC is so far right now in innovation that consoles can’t even get to the indie level of a PC and all of the ports (Elder Scrolls online) or possible sequels or new big games (that are cross platform) so far are being delayed because development is harder and harder every year and it requires more budget.

#8 5 months ago
  9. lubu

@DiodeX
    don’t count on it. 2014 was supposed to be a good year, but it wasn’t. i bet most of those 2015 titles, and titles got delayed to 2015 and new titles in E3 will be push even more to 2016-17-limbo

#9 5 months ago
  10. polygem

i don´t believe that destiny will fail at all.

i think that it will become one of the commercially strongest franchises of the next 10 years really / as acti has planned obviously :D

it all looks good to me. the artdirection is pretty solid. it has stylized, slick and clean visuals.

this is a bungie game. they know a thing or two about how to make a game feel right.

i don´t think that anyone can judge it by just looking at it or by playing it for half an hour.

many people never really played halo and then wrote it off as trash while others who have dedicated time into it praise it as one of the best mp shooters ever. i am certainly in the latter team.

i think bungie will nail it.

i listened to their podcast a lot recently. they´ve putted so much passion and thoughts into this, into world- and weapon design, into balancing it, making it feel right.

i am a believer.

we´ll see.

#10 5 months ago
  11. mistermogul

@CyberMarco – Don’t think the consoles were rushed, just that it takes more man hours and effort to make new gen games.

Nintendo also found this out with the Wii U and HD development, hence the massive game droughts that console has suffered.

#11 5 months ago
  12. Joe Musashi

Given where we are in the lifecycle of the new platforms, this is par for the course and quite understandable. It’s amazing how, every few years, folk forget what happened previous and act like this is all new.

Also #1 blames the industry for things being too fast and for things being too slow. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Very easy to sit and lay blame.

And any implication that this is specific to certain types of platforms is just desperation. Games get delayed for heaps of reasons, and always specific to each project. Try reading some development post-mortems sometime . No need for insipid politics to come into it.

#12 5 months ago
  13. CyberMarco

@Erthazus

Yeah sure, the PS4 wasn’t rushed at all. Lacking features that the PS3 had on launch (DLNA features, mp3 playback etc.) and others that even toasters and fridges can do these days.

@Legendaryboss

I think it totally does. What’s the point of having a “next-gen” console if new (and not cross-gen) games aren’t available for them?

#13 5 months ago
  14. Joe Musashi

Lack of DLNA isn’t the result of the product being rushed.

#14 5 months ago
  15. CyberMarco

@mistermogul

Then they should make sure that when they make an announcement they are able to fulfill that and not act surprised from the outcome.

Also, did someone fart?

CM

#15 5 months ago
  16. Joe Musashi

I think you’re confusing the stench of the combo of thoughtless knee-jerk reaction and assumed-entitlement with farts. One is far more easily dispelled than the other.

#16 5 months ago
  17. OlderGamer

I think it is an investor related/biz related problem honestly. To the suits, the last gen was perfect. A huge install base, easy to program for, shorter dev cycles, and cash cows for the top tier pubs. If you were them, would you want to walk away from that and embrace a new generation of hardware? With all of its pitfalls and uncertainties. Not to mention smaller user base?

I don’t think many companies prepared properly. I don’t see the incentives for them.

Now add in underpowered hardware)and I am sorry but the xbo and PS4 are grossly under powered. The WiiU would have sold better had they waited till after the PS4 and XBO launches and gamers had their “that’s it” moment with those systems. The WiiU has several games that stand shoulder to shoulder and in some cases exceed the PS4/XBO games. I don’t want to get off subject, just saying the next gen systems aren’t what most people expected or wanted out of new hardware. Think back three years, you expected more. The reality is the next gen systems didn’t deliver and don’t make a strong enough, imo, case for moving forward from a gamer stand point. None of them, either of the three.

Complete lack of Backwards Compat. I think it hurts MS and Sony. WiiU has it, and so should XBO and PS4. Offer old games being played on new systems, then dial down the production of old systems. If you own a XB360, you can buy newly made xb360 games. If your system dies or you just don’t have one, you can still play those same xb360 games, but on your brand new XBO. Never before have I felt that BC was so important. Never before have gamers had so much past investment in a single gen of platform. I spend thousands of USD on PC games. I upgrade my PC(maybe even buy a new one), and all of my Steam games are still there for me. Consoles should be like that. I am going to lose so freaken much if I unplug and shelf(or sell) my xb360. And what about all of those PSN+ games I have? Same type of thing. Imo, this gen, BC was needed.

The next gen systems sell well, but they don’t deliver the games. There is a seemingly lack of next gen focus. Lots of companies are very happy to produce PS360 gen titles with their “next gen” versions with slight graphical improvements. I own everything, always have. I play a lot of BF4 and Madden25(PS4), beyond that my XBO/PS4 sits empty. I play a few WiiU games, will buy MK8 soon. And while this might come across as having a sense of entitlement, it isn’t. But I am not happy with any of the next gens systems. They just don’t deliver. I wanted better graphics, bigger worlds, better gameplay, and NEW games.

I think there too many suits with their grubby hands on the puppeteer strings right now, console side. I that is why the PC has been resurgent. I think that is why there are legions of kids aged 4 to 12 that couldn’t careless about consoles, and I think it will catch up to the industry down the road.

Maybe not, maybe I am just getting too damn old to care(and it is true, I am). These are just toys and it is just a hobby after all. That being said I can still express my disappointment with the games industry right now, and at the next gen in particular.

#17 5 months ago
  18. Erthazus

@CyberMarco these features were out because Sony tested it’s sequrity for the PS4.
    If you don’t know at launch USB devices worked not properly because Ps3 has a history with dongles and other piracy stuff.

this is a piracy protection on all fronts and the best way to test it when the thing has come out.

#18 5 months ago
  19. polygem

farts? yeah, can smell it too. pheeew…who was it?

#19 5 months ago
  20. Joe Musashi

DLNA and similar function are absent for a very obvious reason. A considered reason. One that wasn’t rushed:

These companies have musict and media content services of their own and also partnerships for content services.

If they provide you with that stuff out of the box, there is no reason for you to investigate their pay-for-services.

Which, as the maker of the platform is their say so and theirs to control. It’s not because of a lack of though, it’s the exact opposite.

And exactly the same is true for lack of back compatibility. The platform holder earns nothing from providing it. And if their previous machine is still on the market then it will have the higher profit margins. Why cannibalise sales of your more profitable product by giving it away for free in your less profitable one?

It makes absolutely no sense.

The cost of developing emulation or back compatibility is high and will see zero revenue. Everyone who bitches about ‘waaaah I want to play my old games’, when asked, has NEVER said ‘but I will buy new games for the older machine to play via back compatibility’. In other words: all cost, zero revenue. There is no commercial reason to do it.

Furthermore, HD remakes / Definitive versions have already proved to be a highly profitable and well received alternative. The consumers have spoken with their wallets.

None of these things are the result of rush. Or lack of thought.

Just because something YOU want isn’t present, doesn’t mean an oversight occured. Just that you’re too wrapped up in yourself to even consider a bigger picture might exist. That, perhaps, the world doesn’t revolve around you.

#20 5 months ago
  21. CyberMarco

@OlderGamer

I agree that the new consoles are underpowered compared to PC from back to 2010 but they are miles ahead compared to the PS360. There were some great games squeezed out of those hardwares, great games introducing better graphics and gameplay mechanics compared to their predecessors.

I think that the PS4/XB1 wont shine because the PS360 are keeping them “hostage” with all the cross-gen games. But even then, the same games on PS4/XB1 would perform better and deliver much more if they were on PC.

@Erthazus

I can’t get you, seriously. On one day you are all for bashing these POS machines, with suP-Bar features and potato-like quality of games, with no real-time foliage in the air simulation and titty tessellation and yet you are “defending” the lack of features from these consoles. Double standards much? Are we going to reduce the field of playing?

@Polygem

I know right!? :P

#21 5 months ago
  22. Joe Musashi

I’ll add that what you’re seeing is the continued transition to a service driven model of content and commerce on all gaming platforms.

But, yeah, game delays: nothing new.

#22 5 months ago
  23. Legendaryboss

Damn! Comment didn’t go through. @CyberMarco Your response to Erthazus has more merit for platforms being rushed, but the original indication still makes no sense: games getting delayed has nothing to with platforms being rushed. Millions of customers have purchased Xbox One & PS4, crossgen games are obviously profitable for now and remakes/ports are in the same boat. Gamers purchased their consoles to play games, may not be the sole reason. Regardless they have games available to play, be it “new gen” exclusive or cross-gen, i doubt they will get nit picky over new gen exclusive or cross gen exclusive or platform exclusivity.

#23 5 months ago
  24. mistermogul

@Joe Musashi “I don’t see the transitional issues of the current gen being any more severe than the previous one. Or the one prior to that.”

True but that doesn’t necessarily mean developers were more prepared than in previous generations… Nintendo certainly weren’t prepared for the required additional resources needed for HD development and I think that’s been proven in their Wii U output since late 2012 and Iwata keep telling me to “Please understand” ;)

#24 5 months ago
  25. ManuOtaku

I understand that new consoles will suffer from this issues, delaying and not getting new games, this for being new architectures and because of this, the needs of new techs to be able to develop for newer Architectures, etc.

But I do not understand why this issue was a focus for the wiiu, but not for PS4 and one, i mean why some gamers did critize nintendo, stating they were not ready for hd era, and for that being obsolete, but they remain silent with the other two, thats my main qualm regarding this.

Also If this new architectures are pc based in order to be friendly to developers, why this is happening?, i believe there are some reasons that are being keep close to the chest regarding this.

But I do hope it is fixed at some point, although is very tempting to publishers to keep this going for a while, five platforms instead of three is better, especially when gamers do not demand more than an enhancement in pixel count. We Are Making it easier for them.

#25 5 months ago
  26. Joe Musashi

@24 “True but that doesn’t necessarily mean developers were more prepared than in previous generations…

I think that’s precisely the case. It’s just as big a generational hurdle to get over as it’s always been.

And that games are frequently delayed anyway.

#26 5 months ago
  27. POOhead

This happens every gen,fucking noobs with short term memory loss

#27 5 months ago
  28. mistermogul

@Joe Musashi Agreed!

#28 5 months ago
  29. Legendaryboss

@ManuOtaku Because Nintendo are all alone in supporting Wii U and the other two have their third party support in addition to their own games. That’s why it was a focus, it was more apparent. But the majority of the games being delayed are third party, that’s where your logic fails.

#29 5 months ago
  30. Erthazus

@CyberMarco No double standards sir. Look, when Steam launched it was not good as it is today. In fact, it was a piece of shit.

and something like a console that is known for piracy issues and security breaches… Obviously it is going to take a while for them to bring features. PS4 was not rushed. It is a complete system. Every other thing you mention is an OS enabled feature. It has nothing to do with “consoles” being rushed.

#30 5 months ago
  31. ManuOtaku

@Legendaryboss ok agree, but it hanst been that many sony and microsoft ips released so far, therefore while they are not been delay, like third paty titled, they are not been release either, there are not thay many games from them, most are third party, so there are some similarities in both cases.

#31 5 months ago
  32. harr0w

Its obvious to anyone with eyes that the consoles were well and truly rushed out of the gate at the very least 12 months to early. Couple that with the extra supposed performance to the new Xbox one Dev kits with kinect optional now I think there will be more to come for sure.

#32 5 months ago
  33. Mike W

I hope Destiny is not delayed, but like Dave said it wouldn’t be a surprise.

But now that we know what games are delayed, let’s look at what else is still on track to release this year for the current gen systems at the moment. Please be advised that I’m purposely excluding last generation consoles.

Lords of Fallen (PC, PS4, XBO) Date is unknown (may release this year)

Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC, PS4, XBO) October 7, 2014 (may release this year)

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PC, PS4, XBO) October 7, 2014 (may release this year)

The Evil Within (PC, PS4, XBO) October 21, 2014 (may release this year)

Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4, XBO) August 19, 2014 (has to release this year)

Destiny (PC, PS4, XBO) September 4, 2014 (may release this year)

Far Cry 4 (PC, PS4, XBO) Holiday 2014 (high chance of being pushed into 2015)

Assassian’s Creed: Unity Holiday 2014 (PC, PS4, XBO) (has to release this year)

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Holiday 2014 (PC, PS4, XBO) (like fucking clockwork, this game is never late)

Driveclub (PS4) October 7, 2014 (has to release this year)

Sunset Overdrive (XBO) Date is unknown (high chance of being pushed into 2015)

I’m not sure if I’m missing anything else, but as you can see the pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer.

#33 5 months ago
  34. zombizmo

I think Destiny has already been quietly delayed back in spring when it was originally supposed to come out. I can’t see them doing it again honestly. Sure, it wouldn’t affect Activision in the least but I do think it would hurt Bungie and how people hold interest in this game. Although Activision does control marketing for the game I think that would be giving them a little too much power over the brand which from what I understand isn’t part of the deal between them and Bungie.

#34 5 months ago
  35. Kreion

Hasn’t it always taken a while for good games to come out on the next iteration of a console? I mean I can’t remember that many impressive games on the early days of the PS3 or 360 or even the Wii. With that said the latter, and Nintendo in general, got games on it quicker than the other two – but that’s mainly because they were the same franchises as always.

I wouldn’t say these consoles are rushed…I think the development of the Xbox One was skewed and think that it’s suffered on that front, but it wasn’t like it was kicked out of the door suddenly – it was a long series of mistakes instead. Same with the PS4 the issues with it are prior decisions that Sony has decided to reverse or modify – which there’s nothing wrong with since the market is always in flux.

Still, I never expected to see any amazing games this year – I expected them to be announced this year. I’d much prefer that the studio’s take their time in getting to know the new hardware before releasing a new game on it.

#35 5 months ago
  36. Shadonic

On the little preview thing, that’s not really a good source to judge the entire game on for any site, its like if they showed off watchdogs psychedelic digital trip and if people hated it and based their entire opinion no how the game was on a separate game mode. The previewers all know that you cant really have a good opinion on a game we all still know barely anything about and or experienced. I was worried about what i read but i’m not going to base everything on it and take it with a grain of salt. I’ll wait for the beta to make my own judgement and the game to make my final decision.

#36 5 months ago
  37. ManuOtaku

Also i do forgot to mention that new early ips of the past gen like assassins creed, the darkness, valkyria chronicles, heavenly sword, lair, Condemned, etc, didnt came on the ps2, or on the first xbox, like it is happening in this gen with watch dogs, thief, shadow of mordor, Destiny, etc.

Therefore I think this generation is somehow diifferent than the others from a third party view of things. Like i said for publishers is more tempting to release in five consoles rather than three, especially when we demand more pixels count.

When, a game like assasins creed, that was not possible on prior console cycle,will come on this gen. Maybe its my way of seeing things, but this gen is a little different than previous ones.

#37 5 months ago
  38. polygem

i think this console gen is very different to the previous generations. the graphical differences just aren´t that impressive anymore.

the tech has reached a point where technological progress is slowing down a little bit again.

the pc is getting cheaper too and more accessible and much more mainstream because of that…and more future proof. it´s upgradeable and upgrading becomes easier too.

consoles are outdated the moment they are released. by design.

kids grow up with mobiles and pcs first and foremost, not many have consoles too. they don´t need them. they play elsewhere. maybe their dads and moms play consoles, their older brothers…

we also see more and more concepts of making the pc more streamlined. it will see a facelift, a transformation…be it the steambox or that razer upgradeable pc thingy. i forgot the name. you know that thing. these concepts aren´t there yet but they could be getting there.

i think these concepts are a hint towards a future videogame market and not only videogames. everyone needs a pc. they are aiming for the livingroom and it makes sense.

consoles are facing a problem in that regard because the marketing power buzz wont sell systems forever, esepcially if you can´t deliver and at the same time have a pretty steep asking price for hardware AND games.

the innovation must come from the software itself and not so much from the hardware anymore.
    or you have to try to make your hardware unique (wiiu) and then try to find a niche with it. it´s risky but it could pay off in the long run.

just offering a system upgrade every 7 years wont work anymore, at least i can´t see it working like this forever and ever.

also, look at these systems architecture. they ARE basically pc´s.

ok, i wanted to say that and that mario kart 8 looks better than everything that i have played on my launch ps4.

#38 5 months ago
  39. bradk825

Could increased public awareness of crunch, and the accompanying disdain for it have anything to do with the delays? Have they become more likely to delay than abuse employees?

#39 5 months ago
  40. Joe Musashi

Can someone point me to some reliable, objective information that supports the notion that PC adoption is exponentially increasing into the demographic occupied by console sales (and, likewise, objective information shows the console adoption demographic is significantly shrinking?). And that the two are directly related to each other?

The industry figures I’ve seen and commercial receptoin to consoles (particularly the recently releasesed PS4 and XBO) suggest otherwise. Didn’t retailers keep talking about ‘record breaking’ pre-orders too?

Thanks.

#40 5 months ago
  41. polygem

we´re seeing the last gasp of the videogameconsole as we know it.

#41 5 months ago
  42. stretch215

The only thing a console gamer upgrading to new gen cares about (visually) is that the games look better. And they do. Dramatically.

#42 5 months ago
  43. stretch215

*drastically- damn autocorrect

#43 5 months ago
  44. Joe Musashi

“As we know it” is a subjective and nebulous term. It could be applied to any and every generation because what is ‘known’, the norm, changes with each progressive generation. So, besides theatrics, I can’t see much objective information in that statement at all.

For those insisting that consoles are dying and PC adoption is moving into that demographic, what objective information, what evidence can you point to that substantiates this belief?

What I’m looking for is concrete, objective information. Not personal interpretation or anecdotal evidence. Presumably such evidence must exist.

Thanks.

@stretch215

Improvements are always present, but the ability of the end user to pick them up will vary. For someone going from mono to stereo sound, the improvement may be dramatic. From sterio to surround, less so. Surround to 5.1 less so again. 5.1 to 7.1 even less. Regardless, these are all steps forward and become the new norm.

Likewise, if you don’t know the difference between pre-baked lighting and dynamic lighting you’re unlikely to appreciate how one differs from the other, the benefits and costs as to why it may not have been present in one generation but in the next.

Of course, advancement is not all about visuals. But its the most convenient barometer to use.

#44 5 months ago
  45. polygem

the fact that the consoles sell today doesn´t mean that they will sell tomorrow. what you are selling as facts aren´t facts if you try to paint a picture of a future videogame market.

it will always be speculation. you do not have more than i have. you are speculating.

steam is a service with 75 million users – and it is still growing – they are creating steamboxes now, you have heard of it, they are grabbing for the living room, they have said it. they are going to compete with the console market now.

so this is pretty new, it is a new trend. it should be interpretated. it could have an impact on gaming. it probably will.

pcs are becoming more accessible and cheaper. the kids are at the same time becoming more and more tech savy. while pc´s offer you more freedom, consoles offer you more and more restrictions.

this is not exactly a great selling point for consoles and again this is another huge social trend…people do not want restrictions in their technology that hold their product back in an artificial way. they tolerate this less and less.

this needs to be answered if you want to keep in business. this desire needs to be satisfied.

look at what happened to ms after their reveal. it shows that there is lots of room for alternative business models. restrictive ones aren´t the ones you should be looking at.

consoles are restricted by design. they are outdated. they can not much longer hold on with the zeitgeist.

you can of course nail down numbers more easily than social trends. it doesn´t mean that you should ignore these trends. if you want a complete picture, you must look at them.

consoles are losing the advantages they once had (accessible, easy to pick up and play etc etc). the pc is getting there as well while at the same time it offers you much more freedom and alternative applications. it will soon be much better value.

if the steambox will pay off for valve and their third party manufacturers is not clear at this point but it is a very very clear message nonetheless.

i don´t think that the steamboxes will be huge successes but they will slowly cut the ground from the console business. at this point this is a clear sign to me. i read it like that. feel free to interpretate this differently.

all that, combined with underwhelming experiences offered from the console manufacturers pretty much only allows one conclusion at this point…

the videogame console as we know it could have it´s very last dance if innovative, alternative ideas cannot be achieved from their manufacturers.

#45 5 months ago
  46. ManuOtaku

@polygem sadly i think that scenario might happen, is a possibility, with that i concur. Personally i dont like it, i dont like steam, steam machines or pc, or systems in gaming like netflix, etc., for various reasons not worth writing here.

But I think newer techs on consoles can overcome that scenario, imagine a holographic console alas star wars chess game, without the need of tv sets, glasses, anything, just an hologram. That would be mental, and can keep consoles relevant. And like i said holigraphic, any brand new tech that we might not imagine right now. I remain optimistic.

#46 5 months ago
  47. polygem

@ManuOtaku

i do not want it to happen either.

they must all look for a new niche soon i think. this market will change even more. the cards will be shuffled completely new.

it must not mean that they will all have to get out of the hardware market but tbh i think that they will go towards branded services for the most part and / or have to really create some unique hardware that gives you a different gaming experience (virtual reality or yeah, pretty much anything, noone can look into the future).

we´ll see…

#47 5 months ago
  48. Joe Musashi

So, what you’re saying is that you do not have any quantifiable, real world, objective evidence to support your argument.

And not only that, you’re asserting your argument in the face of the quantifiable, real world, objective evidence that says the opposite.

Got it.

#48 5 months ago
  49. ManuOtaku

@ Joe Musashi having evidence doenst mean it can become a reality or not, the same applies with not having evidence.

Of Course evidence sustain an argument, but because this is tie to unknown factors, does not mean that an Argument will be maintain or debunk in the future.

Chances Are that having evidence will make the probability of being truth or happening, very high, as well as not having evidence, the chances will be low, but this does not make it infalible/falible.

There Are a lot of theories in all types of sciences and studies, that were sustain in evidences, that later became wrong or debunked, with newer evidences and studies. This because a lot of factors not worth writing here.

His Opinion might be wrong or without any evidence, but that does not mean is not a possibility, even with remotly chances of being truth or becoming reality in the future, it is a possibility.

For Example electricity by air, there was evidence of that with the tesla research, tested, and in theory it was/is possible, but for a lot of factors not worth writing here ( politics, economic, personal gains), it is not a reality and never has been.

#49 5 months ago
  50. ManuOtaku

Also i will like to add, sorry, that theres also a lot of theories based on evidence that were rejected, discarded by the body that ruled that area, to later become accepted and well received, becoming the facto.

#50 5 months ago
  51. NocturnalB

I just don’t understand such a long delay for The Division, was it just that early in development? Obviously making a game on such a scale takes time, but if they knew it was going to get delayed for 2 years why did they even bother mentioning it so soon?

#51 5 months ago
  52. budoshi

READ this with the joker ‘s voice: Oh yes they all going to be delayed and then downgraded you’ill see…you’ill see e e hihihihhahahahah MOUHAHAAAhhahahahahahah

#52 5 months ago
  53. briggstown

Most of those games you mentioned would have died in this jam packed fall.

- The Division won’t look like that. (See: Watch Dogs) They were nowhere near being finished with that game.
    - The Order will just be a horrible corridor shooter.
    - ESO is confirmed mediocre.
    - Quatum Break: Remedy is solid, but the slow time featured looked more like a gimic then actual fun.
    - The Last Guardian: VAPOWARE
    - Dying Light: Techland made Call of Juarez and Dead Island so why would I care about this?

The only two that I will miss is the Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight.

Don’t sleep on Shadow Of Mordor. They are showing off true next gen gameplay features. Monolith is solid so I see no real reason why they can’t pull it off. Visceral will make the single player in Hardline amazing. Evolve will be a GOTY candidate. Far Cry 4 is pretty much a given for GOTY candidate. Inquisition will be solid if not great.

#53 5 months ago
  54. Joe Musashi

@ManuOtaku: You’re spinning those semantics so hard you’re making yourself dizzy.

It’s one thing to propose a theory.

It’s another thing to propose a theory and be unable/refuse to provide a shred of objective evidence to back it up.

It’s yet another thing to assert that theory in the face of objective evidence that demonstrates the opposite of it.

It’s another thing to declare it factual (#41)

You will notice, that whilst attempting to entertain this incredulous theory I specifically asked for obective, real-world, evidence. I then clarified that further by stating that providing personal interpretation and anecdotal evidence wasn’t ‘objective, real-world evidence’.

Just after banging his theory as fact, polygem spewed a mass of personal interpretation and anecdotal evidence.

Possibilities are nice. Pigs may fly. Money may grow on trees.

But anybody insisting those things are going to happen, is choosing to ignore reality.

#54 5 months ago
  55. Gekidami

we’re seeing the last gasp of bread as we know it.

Because the fact that bread sells today doesnt mean that it will sell tomorrow.

So yeah. The end of bread, “logically” explained.

#55 5 months ago
  56. polygem

@48:

i have offered lots of evidence.

in fact you didn´t deliver any evidence yourself. i am still waiting for that tbh.

the conclusions you have made, reveal literally nothing about the console market in 7+ years, instead you just lazily, repetitively, almost mantralike, analysed the status quo again, assuming that things will just stay the same as they have been in the past, while at the same time ignoring the factual, drastical changes this industry faces atm.

this can only be described as naive.

#56 5 months ago
  57. Joe Musashi

“i have offered lots of evidence.”

You have provided precisely zero evidence. Even when requested numerous times.

You have provided an abundance of personal interpretation and anecdotal evidence whilst asserting your opinion as fact.

You, your theories and your supporters lack credibility. Lying and spinning do not add credibility.

#57 5 months ago
  58. polygem

@Gekidami

“People, we are not talking about food and water. We are not talking about basic human rights.
    Videogames are a luxury, not a necessity”

Joe Musashi

#58 5 months ago
  59. polygem

@Joe Musashi

Well, if you would finally offer some of your “facts” i might bite again.

For now you only romanticised about how the current market will just stay as it is forever.

This is short sighted if you ask me. In fact, this ignores facts. It´s a very lazy analysis too. But most importantly, for the topic we are discussiong here – it proves precisely: nothing.

#59 5 months ago
  60. Joe Musashi

Your ‘tactical retreat’ has been noted.

#60 5 months ago
  61. Gekidami

@polygem
    What Joe said doesnt matter seeing as i was using the example of food as merely a parody how how dumb your logic is:

-Take something thats selling well
    -Say that things might change (offer no actual reason why)
    -Therefore its the end of that thing

“Well, if you would finally offer some of your “facts” i might bite again.”

Fact: This is the best selling console generation ever, bar failing Nintendo.

Conclusion: The decline you’re talking about is bogus and has no backing. Besides perhaps for failing Nintendo.

#61 5 months ago
  62. polygem

“Say that things might change (offer no actual reason why)”

i offered many reasons why.

repeating that this console gen sells well doesn´t change the fact that this doesn´t prove that it will stay like that forever.

in fact it could very well be just the last gasp of these systems….because – well, look at my posts above….lots of reasons to be found there and there are more.

prove me otherwise or at least admit that you are just speculating about this topic.

you are speculating here and trying to sell your assumptions as facts, while at the same time you are ignoring obvious social and some very relevant market specific trends. you can´t use the console sales of today to demonstrate their continuing success tomorrow. that´s just not working. no matter how you look at it.

#62 5 months ago
  63. Joe Musashi

“prove me otherwise”

It’s been provided. And yet, every time it has, you just childishly dismiss it and insist your unfounded, fact-free, reality-dismissing opinion-presented-as-fact has more substance.

It doesn’t.

#63 5 months ago
  64. polygem

no joe, you still have to deliver on that unfortunately.

#64 5 months ago
  65. Joe Musashi

Fortunately for me, the real world supports my argument. Your dismissing of it doesn’t negate it.

You have no proof and no argument. Just posturing and theatrics.

#65 5 months ago
  66. polygem

the real world supports my arguments. your arguments only reflect on a staus quo. don´t do the mistake of mixing these things up.

#66 5 months ago
  67. Joe Musashi

If the real world supported your arguments (it doesn’t) then why, after multiple requests have you failed to provide any objective, quantifiable, tangible evidence of it?

I’ve politely asked you, multiple times, to point me to this factual information.

Your response has been to present a grandiose but empty statement or essays of personal opinion presented as fact.

Given your habitual lies, manipulation, brain-meltingly poor grasp of how commerce works, platform bias, spin, selective comprehension, aggression, agenda and investment in conspiracy theory, I find it hard to simply beleive your reality-dismissing argument as fact. Lying about providing proof, dismissing reality, and deriding the views of others further damages the credibility of you and your argument.

At this point, you still have provided no proof, evidence or facts. You merely claim you have and then parrot out take a few of my words and parrot them back at me.

Every time you reply and fail to substantiate your argument with something more credible than your own personal view, you demonstrate that you have no argument, just bluff and bluster.

#67 5 months ago
  68. polygem

but joe, i have pointed out that this IS my personal view. it is, just like your argumentation is yours.

the moment that you will get this into your head, we can finally start a discussion.

this is one of your main problems. you don´t get the basics.

#68 5 months ago
  69. Joe Musashi

Awww. The great fact-presenter, [no]proof-provider, reality dismisser has given up all his efforts above and imploded into ‘just opinion’. Mmmm, #41 is so clearly presented as ‘just an opinion’. Yup.

I had understood, in the first place, that it was your opinion. You had already overlooked that. That is why I asked for the evidence that formed these opinions in the first place.

No, it’s far easier for you to just u-turn than simply point to all this ‘proof’ you repeatedly claim to have already provided eh?

Just another evasive move rather than being able to discuss and converse like a normal human being. Carefully signed off with a derisive remark so that it looks like your utter failure to conduct a simple conversation is somebody else’s fault.

Bluff and bluster. Nothing more.

#69 5 months ago
  70. polygem

oh joe…

#70 5 months ago
  71. Legendaryboss

Walk in, walk out.

#71 5 months ago
  72. polygem

i just googled video game consoles decline…

#72 5 months ago
  73. face76

The ps3 had just as bad first year. Uncharted wasn’t released until the ps3 was out for over a year. The ps3 got Ratchet and Clank and Resistance. They had problems with mulit console games not looking as good on the ps3. But look at how well the ps3 turned out with the games that were released in that start of its 2nd year.

This time next year we will have games like Batman, Witcher, The Order 1886, Dying Light, and many others. The summer is always a drought for games, but can’t for Valiant Hearts. The fall usually starts off with NHL and picks up from there. We have Sunset OverdriveDestiny, AC 5, LBP, Shadows of Mordor, Alien: Isolation, Dragon Age:Inquisition, Driveclub, The Crew, Far Cry 4, Evil Within, Evolve, and a few others. Even the ps3 and 360 have games like Tales of Xilia 2 and New Borderland’s Game.

The PS4 and Xbox One are only 6 months old. Xbox One was all about it features when announced and less on games. They changed that tempo this. Especially with the sales falling behind the PS4. A PS4 with 2 major games: KillZone and Infamous. Within the next year we will see some amazing games on all consoles, including the Wii U. In this industry its either taking to long to be released or it rushed. The problem is we are spoiled with technology.

#73 4 months ago