This might be the most beautiful runner game ever

Wednesday, 4th June 2014 22:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Runner games are a dime a dozen, but how many have you diving from orbit to land on and run along the backs of evil Earth-conquering dragons? Yes, that’s what I thought.

earhnight

EarthNight has been in the works for two years at Cleaversoft, and thanks to a deal with the increasingly indie-friendly Sony, will launch first on PS4, and later Vita, in 2015, according to the PlayStation Blog.

Boasting gorgeous hand-painted graphics by Paul Davey (Mattahan), EarthNight tells the story of the “dragon apocalypse”. The remnants of humanity have fled to space to escape the serpentine beasts, and only Stanley and Sydney can stop them. The pair skydive between dragons in an organic level-select, and proceed to conquer each beast by sprinting along its back.

The two characters aren’t just differentiated by looks; Stanley is easier to control, while Sydney is more challenging, but also deeper. Although both are controlled with just two buttons, Cleaversoft warns that it takes great skill to reach and defeat the final boss.

A trailer below gives you the gist. If you like the music, check out the new EP from composer Chipocrite.

1. psxman

Love the concept of running along the back of a dragon, ala The Puppeteer.
    Maybe you have a sword to plunge into the dragon and drag along as you run, while dodging various retaliatory attacks from the dragon?

Oh, that’d be sweet.

#1 3 months ago
  2. TheWulf

That looks genuinely rad and right up my alley. It isn’t often that I see a console exclusive that actually looks like a passion project (most passionately created things are multi-platform as the creators just want lots of people to see their awesome stuff), so I don’t feel like I’m missing out. This, however…

Sigh. Damn you Sony for holding good games hostage. Oh well, this seems like something to pick up at the end of the console’s lifespan, on the cheap, like I did with the few PS3 games I wanted. I’m in no rush. And they might choose to make it multi-platform eventually, anyway, as was the case with Fez and so many others.

I do like this, though. Sony fans, you’d better appreciate this for me, so I can at least appreciate it vicariously! Got that? Good! (Honestly, I’m glad console owners have fun games. Even if they get on my nerves sometimes with grossly rampant elitism, I’d never want to see them deprived of anything. Everyone deserves to have fun games. That should almost be a human right, since needs aren’t just biological, but intellectual and emotional as well. Yes, I’m weird, I know.)

#2 3 months ago
  3. TheWulf

I was about to say ‘wait, I didn’t see a sword, silly.’ I didn’t. I thought they were just thrill riders. I thought they were just blazing along a dragon’s back just to ride with it up front. I missed the whole stabbing thing… perhaps my brain naturally censored it for me. Sigh.

It’s a beautiful creature, but because it’s strange and alien to us, let’s stab it in the face a lot.

ES** attitudes ruin everything. It’s not ‘sweet,’ to me, it’s sick. And not in the good way. Why couldn’t they have just been thrill-riders? Okay, this one’s off my list! I guess there remains to be absolutely nothing at all on the new Sony formats that I actually want. Well then. I think I’m okay with that. It’s odd, because instead of having experiences like Shelter, they have to have… well…

Really, why couldn’t it have been thrill-riders? People who were just doing it for funsies, or perhaps even to help placate the dragon with some sort of medicinal application or spell? IT’S INHUMAN, KILL IT.

Maybe it’s because I’ve recently had a dog die, and I now have a new puppy, but the notion of killing non-human creatures has become even more grossly repugnant to me. Damn it. Life is disappointments.

I guess I just don’t see what this dragon is doing that’s so bad. And once it’s dead, it’s just a corpse, a beautiful one, but one never to be fantastic again — riding the skies. This is something I’ll never understand about ES** types. I look up at a dragon and I see a thing of wonder, I want it flying the skies. I feel… happier with it overhead. It’s a romantic creature by its very nature.

An ES** sees a dragon and the response is OH MY FUCKING GOD IT HASN’T ATTACKED ME YET OR SHOWN ANY SIGN OF DOING SO BUT I HAVE TO KILL IT.

I’m just an old INFP, but I wish games weren’t so much like this. It’s not goofy, even, like the violence is cartoony without any evidence of pain, and creatures respawn. It’s only that kind of violence I can handle. In that case, though, it’s just silly competition, like Bomberman. You know? No one is feeling pain, no one is really dying, so I can deal with that. It reminds me of Voyager and the hirogen. So many of Voyager’s crew are nerdy, ethical introverts who wouldn’t even want holograms to suffer. But especially the Doctor. He hated that the hirogen had programmed holograms to suffer.

It’s just a weird thing with me.

I don’t know how I missed that they were stabbing the dragon and making it cry. Poop. I guess I was more looking at the dragon.

Sigh.

No one else feels this way, do they? The world is a flood of ES** types, not many IN**s.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Joe Musashi

“Though, I suppose, on a mainstream system you have to appease violence fetishists.

Classic.

JM

#4 3 months ago
  5. Armitage Shanks

what isn’t a “mainstream system”? the Gizmondo?

#5 3 months ago