Samurai Warriors 4 release date marks ten years of campy action

Wednesday, 4th June 2014 01:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Samurai Warriors 4′s release date is a reminder that the series is ten years old. Ten whole years I’ve been obsessed with Sengoku-era Japan and the many, many slash-able historical figures camping it up in Omega Force’s hack-and-slash action effort.

samurai_warriors_4

Tecmo Koei has announced that Samurai Warriors 4 will be shown at E3 2014 in the Sony booth to celebrate the series’s first next-gen release.

The series is ten years old now, the publisher said, and has sold over 34 million units ahead of Samurai Warriors 4′s launch on PlayStation 3, PS4 and Vita on October 20 in North America and October 24 in Europe.

We know quite a lot about Samurai Warriors because while Japanese publishers quietly pretend we don’t read Faimtsu all the hard PR work has already been done over the pond. It boasts 55 playable characters, the largest cast of the series to date, including newcomers Nobuyuki Sanada, Yoshitsugu Otani, Takatora Todo, Naotora Ii and Munenori Yagyu. You’ll be able to switch between two characters in battle, sort of like in Warriors Orochi, too.

Combat now includes Hyper Attacks and finishing moves called Mighty Attacks, as well as additions imported from the latest Dynasty Warriors releases such as Rage Attacks and better horsemanship (seriously: hold down the horse call button to get into the saddle seamlessly. Thank you Omega Force). Portable items return from Samurai Warriors 3 – that only came out on Wii in the west, so you might have missed it – and you’ll be able to affect morale and officer development.

Rather than the character-driven stories of past games or the multiple-faction narrative of Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors 4 follows two stories, set in opposing regions. In Chronicle Mode, you’ll create your own (probably ridiculous) officer and tell your own story.

On PS4 there’ll be fancier graphics, of course, and there’s cross-save and cross-play between all three systems.

In short, I’m going to have a great time reading too much into every dialogue exchange and setting up headcanons fetishizing every single officer over the age of consent. Hooray!

1. salarta

Is it just me Brenna, or are you the only person on the site that posts Warriors articles? :)

If it’s available on disc on PS4 or PS3, I’ll buy it. If it’s not available on disc, I’ll buy it as a download on Steam when it’s very, very cheap, or else never buy and play it.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

@salarta Steph does sometimes too, but the lads aren’t interested in them at all. Neither are many of you, but I am never going to miss an opportunity to talk about how much I love homoerotic shipping ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2 7 months ago
  3. dazedonthemoon

I just turned off Dynasty Warriors 8 and read this article. I love them, just plain fun romps of silly action and mayhem.

#3 7 months ago
  4. salarta

@Brenna Hillier I can leave behind the homoerotic shipping, but more power to anyone that enjoys it. Unless they’re a yaoi fangirl that deliberately downvotes any non-yaoi fanfics on a broad site, which I’ve encountered once before. :P

I like the games I’ve played mainly for the chance to run around and take over spawn points and camps. There’s something oddly satisfying about that. I like Ginchiyo most of all the characters. Though I never played SW3.

I can’t remember which game it was (Warriors Orochi, SW2 Empires or what), but one of them had a pretty terribly sexist (from the way it sounded to me) English script that amounted to all the women being called either bitches or whores in a roundabout way. If I ever replay those old games and run into that dialogue, I’ll say which it was and take down the specific dialogue.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Brenna Hillier

@salarta yeah do, I’d be interested.

Ginchiyo is one of my faves too. Pity she’s got her hubby around this time. I always liked her just getting on with shit and having her own story to tell rather than being a romantic interest.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Game Hunter

Is that a female samurai, or a pop singer?

#6 7 months ago
  7. salarta

@Brenna Hillier I know Ginchiyo ended up marrying Muneshige historically, there’s no way around that, but I wish the franchise had kept her established without him for much longer. In a game loaded with women defined by the men around them, she was an excellent taste of a strong woman in her own right. Not to mention, she was the only woman wielding a sword. And she had reasonable armor. Her current armor is still reasonable, but a lot more bland and generic.

#7 7 months ago