How the Watch Dogs Profiler can highlight ugly thinking of some games players

Tuesday, 3rd June 2014 16:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Watch Dogs contains a Profiler allowing players to glean all sort of information pertaining to non-playable characters going about their day in the game world. In the video posted below, the virtual population of Chicago is oblivious to the fact a psychopath has a disturbing agenda: murdering people based on their race and religion.

The video titled “Making the World a Better Place” created by YouTuber Moopoke, shows the player gunning down gay men, Scientologists, Muslims, illegal immigrants, furries, Canadians, conspiracy theorists, and anyone else he feels is a threat to society.

Watch Dogs punishes you for killing innocent civilians, and while the video is likely just a “gag”, one hopes this is not how the YouTuber really feels regarding society’s melting pot.

According to one of the game’s scriptwriters, Ethan James Petty, the development team knew the Profiler would be used to “abuse” the NPCs and encouraged players to take screenshots. When asked about how the tech could be used to target minorities and the like, Petty stated: “[That's the] sick reality we live in – people’s privacy reduced to facts. Profiler at its core should be offensive to everyone.”

Many gamers when confronted with moral situations, tend to act accordingly, choosing good over evil (that’s just one such poll)- as with the Little Sisters in BioShock.

Still, games with moral choices are just that: a game with a moral choice. You can do what you want with little to no consequence.

Via Kotaku.

1. Panou

Bullshit, I choose you!

#1 2 months ago
  2. fearmonkey

I feel a bit better about myself that I never even thought someone would do this in the game.
    I find it way too hard not to accidentally kill civilians by running them over though.

#2 2 months ago
  3. hadamrw

Before playing this game, they made it seem like I would feel bad for stealing ATM numbers from poor/needy people. Rather, in game, I barely read all that crap because it is too easy to just spam the square button, hacking everything.

#3 2 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Typical extrovert (of the ES** variety). Tribal. Hates what is perceived as other tribes (Muslim tribe, Gay tribe, et cetera). Wants to preserve the norm of his tribe through violence. Very typical ES**. Just FYI, Bush was an ES**. Makes you think, doesn’t it? And if it doesn’t, then that’s disappointing, because it really, really should.

Of course, it might also be offensive as far too many people can likely see the truth of this in themselves. Difference between an ES** and those who aren’t is that those who aren’t usually don’t feel quite so violent and hateful towards other people, and see things more as attributes rather than tribes in the first place. ES** types were never really all that perspicacious to begin with, though.

But yeah, typical ES** type. They’d do it if they could get away with it without any repercussions, too, just like Bush did. There’s a certain cheerful sociopathy and dehumanisation of other tribes that happens amongst ES** types. I’m severely put off by it.

#4 2 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Heh. I know. I mean, I’m the kind of gamer who tried desperately to complete Prototype without a single civilian kill. Got damned close, too. And that’s a game which is incredibly hazardous to civilian life. That’s why I prefer the Amazing Spider-Man to it (or even Saints Row IV, because at least there it’s just a glorified holodeck with virtual people rather than real ones).

#5 2 months ago
  6. Erthazus

I would never do this because my reputation will be lower.

:P

#6 2 months ago
  7. Talkar

@TheWulf Dude… If you think the NPC’s of any game other than Saints Row IV are real people, then you need some serious counseling!

#7 2 months ago
  8. PEYJ

To exercise bad behaviour in a video game (like the one in the article) is to (at least a certain extent) to condone it.

#8 2 months ago
  9. YoungZer0

Lol’d so hard when he killed the canadian.

Good stuff.

#9 2 months ago
  10. Clupula

My, is TheWulf using this article to tell the rest of us how much better he is? I cannot say I am shocked.

#10 2 months ago
  11. PSOCecil

“This just in, people can be assholes.”

This isn’t news, it’s more cleverly worded reposting of Kotaku clickbait.

#11 2 months ago
  12. YoungZer0

@Clupula

No kidding. I think he’s recording his manifesto as we speak.

In his car.

#12 2 months ago
  13. Takeshi

@YoungZer0 +1

This was more entertaining than offensive. Especially since a few of them applied to me. :D

#13 2 months ago
  14. LisciousOne

Am i the only person that found it funny?

#14 2 months ago
  15. budoshi

why even bother with this? NPCs are still NPCs, even if you put a back story or a religion or whatever more then any other game that have NPC in they are still a virtual programming..if one cant make a difference between them simply because they had features you can read like the profiler in watchdogs or simply right click on them and read some background story in some other games saying one is a gay men, Scientologists, Muslims, illegal immigrants, furries, Canadians, conspiracy theorist… then its peoples who cant make a difference that need help. in real life one shouldn’t hate peoples over all this but in a video game you can do they hell you want. What you telling me running over civilians with a car is less (ugly thinking ) ? or shooting people in the streets is fine? saints row anyone? GTA? i mean come one what happens in a video game is fine as long as you know the difference and as long as its stay in the video games..

#15 2 months ago