Destiny: no content cut from last-gen formats

Tuesday, 3rd June 2014 10:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie has promised that there are no content cuts between the new-gen and last-gen editions of its online shooter, though visual differences are obviously a factor.

destiny

It follows Destiny pre-orders appearing on PSN with beta access for all who buys it early. Were you one of those people?

Now, in the latest issue of Game Master magazine – cribbed by Reddit – Bungie producer Pete Parsons discussed the differences between Destiny on old and new formats.

“Hopefully players will be pleasantly surprised by how appealing it is on [last generation hardware],” he stated. “It’s the same game, that was hugely important to us. Part of some of the really big, ambitious technologies set up for this… all of this lives on one set of servers. There’s one world that we’re building, and that is extended out to multiple platforms.”

When rival mag OPM asked about the game’s PS4-specific features, lead designer Lars Bakken replied, “We’re taking advantage of the cool things Sony’s doing with the [PS4] platform. The Share feature’s great – I love that thing. We’re also doing some cool lightbar stuff that’s extremely subtle.

“If you didn’t look for it you wouldn’t see it: when your health’s low it’s pulsing red, when your super’s ready it’s flashing yellow, when you go into Hive areas it’s pale green. A lot of people aren’t going to notice it but it makes the experience richer, and when the fans notice that stuff we love it.”

Destiny is out September 9 on PS4, PS3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Are you getting it?

Via MP1st.

1. Dave Cook

Hype seems to have cooled a bit for Destiny. Or am I just not looking hard enough? Help me out here people.

#1 2 months ago
  2. dsr

It seems so, Dave.
    I think there are more hype about Division than Destiny now, even with recent Ubisoft screw ups.
    Destiny promises to be a “Borderlands clone”, which isn’t inherently bad, but everything we saw from the game so far tells us what its a cross gen project at its core, which will limit it severely.

#2 2 months ago
  3. Luciferous

@Dave Cook I think people have got tired of seeing the same area over and over with very little info on the story… I’m excited for the beta, but I’ve developed a ‘meh’ mentality to news about the game because it always seems to be non-news (Which isn’t the fault of people such as yourself)

#3 2 months ago
  4. Obernox

@Dave I’m still interested in Destiny, but my hype levels has lowered. Probably because i won’t be able to play this for awhile.

#4 2 months ago
  5. Dave Cook

I reckon the concept is fun with the big Live Events and such, and the Guild Wars 2 format is ripe for shooters. I just…need to see more of it, or try preview code to get properly invested. E3 2014 might deliver.

#5 2 months ago
  6. Doc Robotnik

It’s very simple – I’m not interested in new gen hardware until there are games not possible on last gen hardware. Cross-gen games put me off by default. I love the Halo franchise, even though none met the lofty heights of the first IMHO, but this just doesn’t seem to do anything new.

Also, they’ve still kept silent on split-screen campaign co-op. They’ve sold it as a hugely social experience where you can play how you want, with who you want, but it’s very likely you aren’t going to be able to play with your friends in the same room. Probably the most social way of playing.

And I don’t count shoddy ‘horde’ modes as co-op. Story mode or forget it :)

#6 2 months ago
  7. CyberMarco

Question is what content/features wont be available on current-gen due to last-gen limitations?

#7 2 months ago
  8. Doc Robotnik

@CyberMarco Exactly.

#8 2 months ago
  9. wamp

Yeah the hype is dramaticly low right now. It will get even lower after E3 where there will be shown alot of next next gen game finally and people will start wanting from games much more things. Ofcorse some of the “demos” that will be shown at E3 will never delever with the final product (looking at you ubisoft) but peoples’ mind will be changed.

Desteny should have come out this spring, but I am sure Bungie had a valid reason to delay the game. Anyway I will still buy the game day 1, play the beta, but the hype for the game is gone and it won’t be back.

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

well i am still hyped for the game. i think that it will be crazy fun. it looks great. they nailed the artystyle imo. it´s not too realistic. it looks clean and it runs smooth (judged by what we´ve seen this far. not to much). i bet that it will age quite well which is important with a 10 year plan in mind, you have to stylize things a bit then and i really think this all looks promising. it has a halo vibe…don´t think that it can go wrong really. i am just not hyped to buy into a ps4 and / or a xbox one and then also drop cash on a sub again.

i am still hoping for a pc release. or wiiu :D

#10 2 months ago
  11. fengato

@Luciferous Stated perfectly. Enough with Old Russia and self congratulating non-info.

#11 2 months ago
  12. ManuOtaku

@polygem right now iam more fond of the xbox one, i got them both a few weeks and ryse, dead rysing 3, and plants vs zombies GW, are really having my time lately, PS4 is a great console dont get me wrong but so far i do only like infamous and, knack, so far microsoft games are winning, so i tend to recommend xbox one for exclusives and kinect atm.

Of Course this could change in the future with sony exclusives, but for now the one, besides sunset overdrive looks pretty awasome.

#12 2 months ago
  13. OlderGamer

Well it is no Titanfall hypewise. But that is a good thing imo. Maybe Bungie is going to let the game speak for itself, instead of trying to over market the game. Also don’t confuse marketing with hype. We don’t need million dollar campaign blitzes to tell us what we should be excited about or want to play.

To me this game looks like it offers far content and much richer gameplay then most of the so called hyped shooters. Istill have questions, but E3 should answer some of those.

#13 2 months ago
  14. YoungZer0

@OlderGamer
    “Maybe Bungie is going to let the game speak for itself, instead of trying to over market the game.”

So far they are doing a terrible job at it. I’ve heard nothing from them but buzz words. It’s getting really embarrassing to be honest.

#14 2 months ago
  15. OlderGamer

At this point, YoungZ, all about what happens at E3…for a lot of up and coming games.

#15 2 months ago
  16. zombizmo

Still excited. I’m glad that bungie is still a dev that doesn’t spill all their beans months before release making you all but sick of the game, something that Ubi has been getting increasingly good at. I do agree the marketing for this game has probably gone on for too long for the type teasing bungie likes to do, but I know it will be worth it for all the amazing armor, weapons, story, and game mechanics that I will get to experience for myself.

#16 2 months ago