The Last of Us creative leads are now in charge of Uncharted 4

Monday, 2nd June 2014 17:35 GMT By Sherif Saed

Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, the pair who lead development on the multi-award winning The Last of Us, have taken over creative leading duties on the upcoming PlayStation 4 Uncharted.

bruce-strahley-and-neil-druckmann

The pair was asked to take over by studio co-president Evan Wells, following the departure of writer Amy Henning, art director Justin Richmond, and the re-casting of the main character.

“They are excited as veterans of the Uncharted franchise to take the responsibility and they’re doing great,” Wells told Game Informer in an interview.

Neil Druckmann worked as a creative director on The Last of Us, while Bruce Straley worked as a game director. Both of whom were also project leads on Uncharted 2, which is considered by many fans to be the best Uncharted game.

It is unclear at this point how long we have to wait before we get our hands on Uncharted 4, or at what stage of development the title is. We don’t even know if it’ll be called that. We suspect however that Sony will be showing something or another from it next week at E3.

Thanks, Videogamer.

[Image]

1. Sherif Saed

Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us are two of my all-time favourite games. I have every bit faith in those two to catch lightning in a bottle again.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

But i thought Naughty Dog & Uncharted PS4 were in dooomed? Topic: Good, now they can right the wrongs of Uncharted 3.

#2 4 months ago
  3. nostramo

Well done the lads, i’m sure they’ll take good care of nathan drake’s next adventure.

#3 4 months ago
  4. KAP

Never understood the hate on Uncharted 3, I personally thought it was a technical masterpiece myself. If many people thought it was the weakest from the bunch, it was still better them most titles in all fairness. As for this news, guys from Uncharted 2 back for uncharted 4……. I guess people will find something to complain about in 5. 4. 3. 2…..

#4 4 months ago
  5. jmg24bad

Chaching!!!! When ever they lead a game, the game is good

#5 4 months ago
  6. Hcw87

UC3 got really tiresome with the bulletsponge enemies (2-3 shots to the head on EASY difficulty for example) and the supernatural plot didn’t really work for me. Go back to the roots of exploring tombs, finding treasures etc. Also some interesting puzzles.

Combat was never good in any of the UC games, so they have alot of work they could do there as well.

#6 4 months ago
  7. onlineatron

aaah turds

hoped they’d be off brainstorming a new title. worked out so well for the last of us

#7 4 months ago
  8. Luciferous

@Hcw87 Supernatural plot? I’m going to guess you mean the firehead demons brought on by drinking tainted water? Or maybe having Marlowe’s voice taunting Drake as he hallucinated in the desert?

Neither of those are supernatural, just like the first two games the spooks behind the legends turn out to be just men, in the first they had been warped by the disease in the sarcophagus and in the second they were a lost warrior tribe using scare tactics to protect the valley…

#8 4 months ago
  9. YoungZer0

Am I the only one who really does not give one single fuck about Uncharted? I mean the entire franchise is sooo replaceable. If they had only tried to deliver something unique, instead of doing an Indiana Jones rip off.

Don’t misunderstand me, the games are great, play great, but they are so been-there-done-that.

#9 4 months ago
  10. DeVitowned

@YoungZer0

There’s a few of you out there.

Not me. I fucking love Uncharted. It plays good homage to pulp adventure, the genre that spawned Indiana Jones. Sure, it’s replaceable. So is any other fucking game out there. However, there’s little to no competition in its category. No, don’t be narrow-minded and assume I mean Third Person Shooters. I mean adventure games with an emphasis on cave diving, history, folk lore, solid story and adventure? Tomb Raider is…cute. Not in the same league.

#10 4 months ago
  11. YoungZer0

@DeVitowned

I find pulp adventure also to be very boring. It’s the same thing each time.

“We found some info to a hidden something, let’s go there. Holy shit, foreigners got here too and they also want the hidden something. Hah, found the info before the foreigners. Let’s go to a different location now. Shit, the foreigner are here as well and they do morally questionable stuff to get the hidden something. I found the hidden something inside of the hidden temple of the hidden city. The foreigners are here! Holy cow, the hidden temple inside the hidden city is starting to crumble. Let’s get out of here. Look, the foreigners are being crushed to death, so there’s no blood on my hands, except for all the other foreigners that I have killed on my way to get here. We survived! Let’s all have a laugh.”

The End.

#11 4 months ago
  12. DeVitowned

@YoungZer0

War movies done to death. Comic movies done to death. Romantic comedies done to death. Every mainstream idea has been done to death on every medium. It’s ALL predictable. Still, been there, done that can be improved an innovative. Just like Super Mario 26,014,998.

It requires thinking outside the box. Have to open the box first. Take the pill. Follow the white rabbit… Hey, let’s do some acid!

#12 4 months ago
  13. BrokenSpline

@YoungZer0

It all comes down to money and since Uncharted is the number 1 selling series for Sony they would be stupid to stop making them.

#13 4 months ago
  14. YoungZer0

@DeVitowned

Naw, it’s always the same. One Indiana Jones type of guy, one female love interest, maybe an old wise dude, optional racial stereotype that shows the the main character knows people. Yawn.

#14 4 months ago
  15. DeVitowned

@YoungZer0

Racial stereotypes are what gets me through the day!

#15 4 months ago
  16. juggy

from early on, i know i’m gonna enjoy playing The Last of Us because Bruce and Neil were also in the UC2 team and that is why i know i’m gonna enjoy UC4. looking forward to it

#16 4 months ago
  17. fihar

@YoungZer0
    The devil’s in the detail my friend.
    The whole section with Tenzin in UC2 was great and all that jazz about the collapsing hotel was totally worth it.
    I like that UC3 properly explains Sully and Nate’s backstory because I’m one of the few who really likes Sully and it actually had tons of great set pieces. The one on the horseback was great, so does the falling plane, and especially the one inside a capsized boat.
    And UC1 had uhhh, well I like Eddy Raja.

The dialogue between the characters alone is worth the price of admission in my opinion.

#17 4 months ago