You’ll be able buy some of the uncovered E.T. cartridges soon

Friday, 30th May 2014 20:27 GMT By Sherif Saed

Microsoft’s excavation of the landfill where hundreds of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial cartridges were buried was a success, and to prove it, the city decided to offer some of them for sale.

et landfill

Alamogordo City Commission said it will be offering 700 of those cartridges for sale at the New Mexico Museum of Space History, while a 100 of them will be given to Lightbox and Fuel Entertainment, the production companies behind the documentary. The remaining cartridges will be distributed to local museums.

“We have been working with the space museum for curation, both for displaying and selling the games; they are now artefacts,” Alamogordo city mayor Susie Galea told Polygon. “The City Commission acted on Tuesday to give 100 of the games to Lightbox and Fuel Entertainment. There are 700 that we can sell that we can sell.”

The cartridges will first be appraised, to determine their value, they will then be handed over to the museum to sell them, some of the games will be registered and sold with a certificate of authenticity. They’re also considering selling some of them online.

Galea added that the hole has been filled back in, leaving some 700,000 games remaining inside, hoping to later turn the site into a tourist attraction.

“The dig was a lot deeper, a lot more than they thought they would have to go, They thought it was going to be 18 feet down and it was 30 instead,” she added.

1. a7md1990

But for how much? I bet it’s at least a 5 digit number.

#1 2 months ago
  2. clorex

Why fill it back in?

#2 2 months ago
  3. POOhead

Xbox one exclusive

#3 2 months ago
  4. tenthousandgothsonacid

My Atari VCS (only n00bs call it the 2600) is still going strong. I wonder if any of the cartridges still work :D

#4 2 months ago
  5. Obernox

Maybe the United States can use the E.T. cartridges as an interrogation method ;)

#5 2 months ago
  6. TheWulf

It wouldn’t be very effective. I’ve played much, much worse, from the home computer days and the modern era. I’ve actually played the original E.T. and while it was a bad game, it wasn’t the terror that so many have made it out to be. It wasn’t some timeless horror. I’d actually prefer to play it given the choice of it or a modern military shooter!

Now, you could make that choice more difficult. It’d be harder for me to decide between a ZX Spectrum Mastertronic budget game, or a modern military shooter. But I’d probably still choose the Mastertronic game. Hm. Perhaps maybe an old LCD game rip-off (like a Popstation) versus a modern military shooter? No, I’d still pick the Popstation.

This is hard!

Um… I’m actually trying to think of a game I’ve found to be so awful that I’d rather play a modern military shooter instead, just to prove to myself that the MMS isn’t the most awful kind of game created throughout history. Um um um. I’m really trying, here. I’m even going so far as trivia games, but You Don’t Know Jack was pretty great. Hell, Q even made the Star Trek Trivia Game funny.

Damn.

OH.

I got it. I think. Isn’t there a game that actually deletes things on your computer as you’re playing it unless you destroy the virus? And the game deletes itself if you lose? I’d be leery about that, so much so that I may just opt to play the MMS instead. Maybe. But is that fair? I mean… that’s a breach of security more than a video game.

I’m now thinking of those old arcade machines that had the joyosticks with the electric buzzer thingies. But again, we’re talking about an actual pain response, here, and I’m not sure if that’s a valid comparison. Yeah, I’d probably play an MMS instead of that, but only because the MMS would be causing me less pain.

Oh!

I GOT IT.

World of Warcraft or a modern military shooter.

Now THAT is a conundrum of genuinely awful fates.

#6 2 months ago