10 reasons why the Watch Dogs Uplay disaster has to kill DRM

Thursday, 29th May 2014 13:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Ubisoft’s done it again. Here’s why online DRM needs to completely vanish from PC gaming.

Watch Dogs! It’s out and it’s everywhere, but maybe not quite for the reasons Ubisoft wanted. Uplay fell over on launch day, meaning many people couldn’t play the PC version. Uplay does have an offline mode which allows PC gamers to play whether or not Uplay’s live, but you still have to sign in to authenticate. If Uplay’s down, no game.

Ubisoft has a long history of trying and failing to make DRM work on its PC games. This is the end.

Dear Ubisoft: here’s why Watch Dogs should kill any kind of online requirement for your single-player PC games forever.

1 – People can’t play it day one.

Why you’d want to stop people playing a game on the day it comes out is beyond me. Because by implementing always-on DRM that’s exactly what you’re doing. A popular game with this style of lock always breaks at launch.

2 – All the people who pre-ordered will probably never do it again.

pre-orders

They might, of course, but they’re certainly going to think twice. Isn’t your triple-A business built on pre-ordering?

3 – Your PR story turns from talking about the game to fire-fighting thousands of pissed off gamers.

steam_review

Sucks to be Ubi PR. You’ve got a great game people can’t get enough of and the mood’s gone from, “These NPCs are really cool,” to, “Why the fuck can’t I play Watch Dogs?” We feel pretty sorry for the guys having to “manage” that message.

4 – And it isn’t just the gamers. You get headlines like this.

ars

kotaku

And this.

polygon

And this.

tech_crunch

Like, dur.

5 – User feedback matters on PC games.

burn_in_hell

User feedback on PC products is vital. People can see what other people are saying. You have to be the good guy online. All anyone thinks of Ubisoft in the PC games community right now is that yet another triple-A PC launch got screwed. That’s not good.

Head through to page 2 for more incredible logic-based anti-DRM points.

1. Talkar

Don’t forget Valve and their piece of shit DRM.. It is worse than GFWL was!

#1 4 months ago
  2. dex3108

UPlay is not just “DRM”. UPlay is Ubisoft service that they can suit to their needs. That is why we have Online Invasions in Watch_Dogs, possibility to use Companion apps for their games etc. They need to improve UPlay because service has potential. Imagine if they implement cross-platform saves and/or cross platform chat. Better rewards for UPlay points etc.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

Reason 1 – Francis gif:
    I’ll have nightmares thanks to Pat!

#3 4 months ago
  4. Patrick Garratt

@Legendaryboss I’m really proud of that!

#4 4 months ago
  5. Homer2014

@Talkar it’s a joke? really? steam drm is the less invasive ever made (apart in early years)

GFWL is a piece of shit, thanks god it will go forever

#5 4 months ago
  6. Joe Musashi

Whilst I’ve not personally had U-Play issues, or Sim City issues, I did pre-order Diablo III on PC and couldn’t play it on day one.

Maybe something is wrong with me, but I didn’t have a tantrum about it. I think I probably just played something else for a while. Either way, I wasn’t traumatised.

Given these headlines and the headlines about how Watch_Dogs is the most successful launch for a Ubisoft title ever, I very much doubt they will be motivated to abolish it.

Like all DRM platforms (notably Steam, U-Play, Origin), they are borne of the desire for DRM. The platform attempts to add value in different ways. Steam have expanded their DRM platform enormously and very successfully to the point where the DRM aspect of it is largely ignored by advocates of the platform. U-Play tries to add value by integrating with certain aspects of the game as it’s running (achievements etc.). Origin, hmm, not to sure. A monthly free game seems to be their most obvious effort.

Whilst it’s not a perfect situation, some tantrums – however loud and bold they may be – aren’t eclipsing the sound of the cash registers.

JM

#6 4 months ago
  7. CPC_RedDawn

@Talker

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!!??

Steam may be a massive form of DRM but it is without a doubt the best form there has ever been and probably ever will be.

Their terms and conditions are easy to read, their servers VERY VERY rarely go down, since it launched in 2004 I have only ever been locked out of three games due to lack of CD keys available which was fixed within a few hours.

Steam offered far too much for FREE to even warrant calling it worse than GFWL which in my book is 10x worse than Uplay or Origin.

#7 4 months ago
  8. digmouse

@dex3108 Uplay doesn’t have any potential, it needs to be rebuilt from ground up to have any “potential”. Heck it doesn’t even have automatic game/patch install! What you download is actually a setup file you need to run! Even Origin is way smarter on that part. Not mentioning the constant disconnections.

#8 4 months ago
  9. Tormenter

Patrick Garrett, quit your bullshit.

“Sucks to be Ubi PR. You’ve got a great game people can’t get enough”.. actually this isn’t very true considering the general opinions I’ve been reading.. FUCKING EVERYWHERE.

There ARE obviously positive things being said about it.. SOME places, but the vast majority I’m seeing calling the game, UGLY for a start, the graphics seem to be a major problem for A LOT of people considering the smoke that has been blown up their arse in relation to this game over the many months UBI have been sucking our dicks…. BORING.. I mean WTF boring for a game is the ONE ultimate sin.. you can’t have a boring game then claim ANY positive points about it.. being boring for a game is the exact opposite of what it should be.. then the one button pushing mechanics for babies gets a mention….. Really hacking is a one button push at it’s relevant context sensitive prompt.. how is this a satisfying mechanic?

This game IS NOT the marvel you claim people.. why is that? Why are you purposefully making the game out to be better than most consider it to be? Are you just shit at critiquing a game or is the something more nefarious going on.. I’m afraid we have to start keeping an eye on you ‘journalist’.. we know now that you don’t have the integrity for journalism that you should (that doesn’t just go for you). Trusting your motivations when you seem so out of step…is a bigger leap than I’m willing to make without a healthy dose of scepticism.

So ‘great game’.. certainly not for a lot of people… so in the end who’s opinion counts… Those who love it?… this seems to be the group who can’t discern anything at all and would thank you if you threw a plate of shit at them, or the haters who moan unforgivingly about anything at all?

Looks like you should just have stuck to the ACTUAL facts and left the embellishment alone because those facts are “Ugly and Boring”, not particularly a description of the game your are describing.

#9 4 months ago
  10. dex3108

@digmouse Since ACIV UPlay is updating games like Steam. And if you download game you download latest version.

#10 4 months ago
  11. TheWulf

You won’t ever hear an argument from me. Badly designed DRM needs to go.

No, but being submissive and bending over to take poor treatment just tells them that you’re ready to accept poor treatment again. That you’re a good little bitch who’s always going to be ready for abuse. You need to speak up and vote with your wallet to ensure better treatment in the future.

Perhaps some of us just have more self-respect and believe that we deserve better treatment as human beings. And I don’t know about you, you might be cattle and you may be okay with mistreatment so long as you get your basics, but I’m a human being and I think that if I pay for something, I deserve to get what I paid for. Maybe it’s an old world view, maybe I’m just that much older than you, but there’s a certain expectation of respect from the salesperson when you’re buying a product.

If I bought a product from a store and it refused to work on the first day, I’d take it back. If they refused to take it back, I’d be indignant and have a chat with the organisations who protect people from exploitative behaviour. I can’t just roll over and say that all of this exploitation is okay.

I don’t want to play Watch_Dogs, but if it’s a game I’d bought and I couldn’t play it, then I’d see that as the salesperson taking the piss. I don’t think that’s right. I have too much respect to think that’s right. I put money down on it, so I can exercise my inalienable rights to actually experience the product I paid for. If I’m ever denied that, I’ll speak ill about that company and never give them any more of my money — which is also entirely my right as well.

Perhaps I just put more value on the person than you do. Perhaps you just don’t value yourself. Perhaps you think that exploitation is so much the norm that it’s completely okay. I don’t have to agree with you. I don’t like being exploited. I don’t like it when a company feels that they can take it for granted that I’m going to be okay with being exploited. If they sell me a product, then they’d better damn well make sure I can use it, or they’d better offer restitution.

That used to be something we all expected as a standard, that used to be something that was just offered to us as a standard because we’re human beings, and not some herd-hive of witless cattle. I honestly think that attitudes like yours are the bane of humanity. Exploitation is NOT okay. If you’re okay with it, then that means there’s very much something wrong with you, yes. You have a problem. Your ethics and your world views have been horribly corrupted.

Just don’t expect someone like myself to stand by your lack of ideologies, lack of ethics, and lack of self-respect.

I’d really hate to think that the way you think is commonplace. I really want to be optimistic enough to believe that that isn’t the case, but the cynic in me doesn’t by it. That’s why capitalism is becoming ever more exploitative and unregulated, one just has to look at the mobile market to realise that. At the very least, you should have been cross and expected some form of restitution.

But this’ll all fall on deaf ears. People are easily exploited cattle, and they WANT it, which is worse. YOU want it. You want to be easily exploited cattle.

And some may wonder why I have such a low opinion of humanity.

#11 4 months ago
  12. JB

Uplay is a piece of shit and I won`t buy any game that requires it.

I made the mistake of buying Might and Magic Heroes 6 on a steam sale. You have to activate the game first, which requires you to make an account on top of the Steam stuff. Everything is locked behind a Uplay wall. No single player or offline play without it. After getting Uplay and authenticating it, you still have to run the shitty DRM and you STILL get singleplayer and offline restrictions after this.

So you have to go online to play “offline” and singleplayer. It`s like playing Civilization 1-5 with just one faction/leader on every map, every other faction/leader is locked behind Uplay. You can create new factions/leaders online, but they´re only available online – lol.

They`ve even added a seperate bonus leveling scheme on top of the “basic” one where you get bonues to gold, resources and items, but ofc it`s only available online and so on…

#12 4 months ago
  13. Tormenter

Patrick Garrett

Exactly who is it you speak for? Rather than just writing a story or editorial you seem to be writing ‘persuasion’ pieces.

I come here and read “(diablo III)…. the DRM isn’t an issue any more..”

WHO THE FUCK SAYS?

I find the DRM to be VERY MUCH the issue with Diablo III and STILL won’t play it because of that.. The auction house ‘excuse’ was an abomination to single players and now that it’s gone there IS NO excuse anymore at all.. absolutely no offline mod at all DESPITE consoles getting one?

NO.. The DRM is a FUCKING ISSUE.

#13 4 months ago
  14. Joe Musashi

Aw bless.

“Being submissive”. The stench of your superiorioty complex fuelled psychobabble invades my nostrils once again.

I prioritised. I was realistic. I was grown up. I was mature.

I did not act like a baby. I did not act like a great wrong had been done to me. I did not sensationalise. I did not assume the world revolves entirely around me and my first world entitlement whims.

I applied perspective. I applied reason.

When there is nothing I can contribute to a situation that will affect its outcome, I decided not to waste time expending effort on futility.

I applied a modicum of patience. Just a smidge. It didn’t hurt. It didn’t cost me anything.

I got the game I’d paid for. I spent hours playing it. Everything was fine.

The transaction was sound. No crime was committed. No retribution was required.

I did not over-exaggerate my plight in order to give myself licence to behave immorally or illegally.

I merely acted like an understanding adult.

DRM will disappear when it has no reason to be employed. Simple.

JM

#14 4 months ago
  15. NickoTyn

@dex3108 For Far Cry 3, even today you have to download the patches and the DLCs manually and install them. As of when you download a game from Uplay, you actually are downloading an installer, which is then run to install the game. This requires almost double free space on your HDD.

#15 4 months ago
  16. Talkar

@Homer2014 It wasn’t a question of being invasive.
    It is a simple question of, does it lessen my experience? And how much? Answer is, steam is the only piece of DRM that has downright denied me access to content i’ve purchased!
    As late as yesterday i bought some songs for Rocksmith 2014 through steam, and guess what, it wouldn’t download! You can read for yourself, http://steamcommunity.com/app/221680/discussions/0/540742667963375554/ .

My point is all DRM is bad, be it GFWL, Origin, Uplay, Steam. The main reason i see Steam as being the worst is that it works about as bad as all the others, but somehow it is actually popular, not just by developers but by the actual consumers?!

I mean it is genius, but what the fuck? It is like people praising they got mugged on the street! No good will come from DRM!

#16 4 months ago
  17. Joe Musashi

@16 “but somehow it is actually popular, not just by developers but by the actual consumers?!”

Steam have put a lot of effort into adding so many peripheral elements into Steam that its DRM aspect is very easy to overlook. I’m certain this isn’t by accident and I’m equally certain they are as committed to these peripheral aspects of Steam as they are the DRM side.

I recall its reveal and its introduction and it was welcomed with the same levels of childish hostility as what we see directed at U-Play and Origin today.

I also recall the launch of Half-Life 2. A single player game on release, shipping with Steam and requiring online activation through Steam in order for it to run.

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? :)

Steam has climbed that steep hill and is over the other side. It is accepted and people now choose and favour it as a platform rather than need to be convinced of its merits. It’s an undoubted success, but it is, unquestionably, DRM.

JM

#17 4 months ago
  18. polygem

this industry throws shit at the consumer and then acts surprised when shit gets thrown back at them in the form of piracy or internet rage.

the industry must first of all ensure to sell a quality product to the costumer. a product that is well worth the asking price. if they cannot achieve this task because they focus too much on how to make the biggest possible profit while at the same time putting the least possible effort into this, they should not complain about people complaining.

#18 4 months ago
  19. JB

Steam is popular because it`s made by Valve and not EA or Microsoft. Secondly it has a lot of games and other software compared to it`s competitors.

You don`t have to log in all the time and it plays games offline no problem.

Then there`s the various sales, which gives gamers a lot of value, even if you`re only “renting” the games. Good and resourceful community helps as well.

Steam is not perfect and at least have issues when it comes to refunds, games not working, unfinished games, developer censorship, content bloat and region locking and regional price issues.

#19 4 months ago
  20. Joe Musashi

The industry doesn’t complain about people complaining.

They object to people taking what isn’t there’s to take.

JM

#20 4 months ago
  21. gomersoul

Buy a ps4, be happier… If you aren’t happy with the journalists on this website, fuck off to ign. They have just as much right to say anything you do. Drm is total bullshit that completely fails to stop pc pirates. Uplay, origin, steam, all just different ways of making gaming more difficult. End of.

#21 4 months ago
  22. GrimRita

Love the gif Pat.

Outside of Steam I will not install anyone elses third party bull shit DRM. If they can’t use Steam, they don’t get my business. It is that simple. When it all goes wrong, like it has AGAIN for ubi, is it any wonder people pirate a game first?

Speaking of pirates, I bet they are actually playing it with some work around. Kind of defeats the object really.

Its time Ubi just gave up and did everything through Steam.

#22 4 months ago
  23. Talkar

@Joe Musashi Yeah i remember the Gif’s of the animated steam logo entering some poor guys ass, just to show how Valve treats its costumer :P

But honestly, i think the store aspect of Steam is one of the least developed parts of Steam. Valve is just denying all responsibility for it, they know it is shit. First of all, just look at the design, it is almost as bad as the “redesign” this site got, but more importantly, look how fast a new game get pushed away from the front page. Wolfenstein is bare a week old, but is already pushed so far back that noone will find it unless they’re looking for it.

#23 4 months ago
  24. polygem

@Joe Musashi

#Deal with it

#24 4 months ago
  25. Arnvidr

Article split in two pages without reason. Annoying.

#25 4 months ago
  26. Joe Musashi

@23 I only browse the Steam store pages during their sales. I recently learned of Enhanced Steam, a browser plugin developed to add a host of useful details and features to Steam’s store web pages. It looks really good and it wouldn’t surprise me if Valve hired the guy that makes it.

It does say quite a lot about Steam’s perception in the consciousness of the gamer demographic that enthusiasts will opt to enhance its shopfront. It’s fair to say Steam is regarded as a positive to the gaming community.

“It is truly a shame that it doesn’t take more than a few sales for the herd to willingly sell their souls…

But that is always the case. For every outcry by the vocal gamer, it’s the wallet that matters most. It doesn’t matter if it’s dedicated server support, graphics downgrades, delays, DLC, DRM, microtransactions or pricing. The precendent the gaming demographic persists in setting is to act contrary to their words.

Having principles is all well and good. But applying those principles often means making a sacrifice. And that’s typically where the game wins and the principles lose.

JM

#26 4 months ago
  27. OmegaSlayer

@joe
    If I buy a game day one, I want to play it day one, otherwise I wait a month and I pay it 10 € less.
    Simple as that.

#27 4 months ago
  28. Erthazus

@Talkar no. It’s not. It’s not even DRM.

#28 4 months ago
  29. Joe Musashi

@27 I’d say those are perfectly reasonable expectations.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and make some assumptions, you’re welcome to tell me if you think my assumptions are wide of the mark:

I’m assumimg the makers of any DRM, such as U-Play have every intention of meeting those expectations. I’m assuming Ubisoft don’t want the U-Play technical issues that have occured. I’m assuming that they didn’t plan them.

I’m assuming something went wrong. I’m assuming they’ll fix it. I’m assuming they’ll continue to employ DRM in future releases.

JM

#29 4 months ago
  30. mark_t50

@Joe Musashi

The thing with assumptions is they work both ways.

As a customer these days I simply assume a game comes with some crappy DRM scheme that seems to go out of it’s way to make life hard for legitimate customers whilst the pirates are not affecting.

As a result I assume I can find the game for at least 50% of the RRP by shopping around sites for a legit CD key and so I refuse to pay full price for games.

I assume the price will crash within weeks, if not days of launch, so if I cannot get a game at 50% off RRP then I wait it out.

I assume that if I have a bad experience thanks to DRM, then other games from that company will likely be just as bad so I tend to skip over many titles that I would otherwise purchase and stick to only the ‘Must Haves’ for me. I’m much less inclined to take a chance on a relatively unknown game from Ubisoft these days for example.

I assume this is the future, because everyone keeps telling me it is, so I’m getting more and more into retro gaming and spending less and less on new games.

#30 4 months ago
  31. Joe Musashi

@30 That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

JM

#31 4 months ago
  32. salarta

I know this wasn’t the intent of this article in any way, but after reading it and thinking of all the crap Ubisoft has done, I suddenly want to actually play Watch Dogs after all… by pirating it. Note I only said want, not will. Besides, even if Ubisoft does away with DRM, they still need to do right by Desilets and give him back the rights to his own IP instead of being dicks and putting it on “indefinite hold” (read: do nothing and withhold it from Desilets just to be petty dicks) before I consider playing Ubisoft games again.

@Talkar I’ve never had a DRM problem with Steam games and I have over 100. The only time I’ve ever used GFWL, for Bulletstorm, I spent ten minutes just trying to get set up and logged in with an account before I said “fuck it” and decided not to try again for a few months. Obviously anecdotal evidence doesn’t equate to the full picture, but my personal experience says you’re wrong and you should feel wrong.

#32 4 months ago
  33. tiko257

fighting crime while robbing cars in the process should be like the dumbest game mechanics ever …. glad I didn’t buy it…. harr harr

#33 4 months ago
  34. digmouse

@dex3108 Ah ok, good to know.

#34 4 months ago
  35. budoshi

nice article, love it.

#35 4 months ago
  36. Panthro

DRM doesn’t need to go, Uplay needs to go.

Valve’s DRM is perfect, I cannot expect all companies who use DRM to be as good as Steam but Uplay just takes the utter piss.

The way they make you require Uplay when I have purchased them through Steam is utterly pathetic and seem’s very desperate on Ubisoft’s part.

#36 4 months ago
  37. djriful

I’m not here to defend Ubisoft, but look the game requires to be activated before you can play but sadly the server was downed. I got it activated before the server goes down and I was able to play Offline mode the entire day no problem.

So, it doesn’t require to be online in order to play the game. You will need to be online if you want to play the online features hacking.

#37 4 months ago
  38. djriful

Best solution for this is to allow 3 days after launch requires no activation to play the game and they have a time period that the player will have to activate with the keys before expires.

This solution is to ease out or to avoid people locked out from activating the game in order to play it on Day one.

#38 4 months ago
  39. NocturnalB

Love the Francis gif.

I didn’t pre-order for this exact reason, and clearly it was the right choice. At this point Ubi and EA should both just begin selling and operating through Steam, or give up on their respective services.

Do the possibilities and capabilities of Uplay and to a MUCH MUCH lesser extent Origin offer great potential? Sure, on paper. But with piss poor execution I’d rather it were gone all together.

It’s insulting and it’s offensive, to pay my hard earned money for a game, only to bring it home, jump through all the hoops, get it installed, etc., and still not be able to play it exactly whenever the hell I choose to.

I was burned when I got Diablo 3, I was burned when I got Sim City, and I was burned when I picked up AC3 (and Black Flag wasn’t the smoothest effort when I picked it up on launch either). Anytime it’s a significant title with any semblance of a significant launch magnitude, the new normal is a big cluster fuck.

I miss 10 years ago, when you could go out, buy a game, bring it home, pop it in the disc tray, and just play. No strings, no signing up for some bullshit account that you don’t want, no having to be connecting to the wonderful world wide web, no “achievements”, no one had ever heard of microtransactions or DLC. You got your game, you took it home, and you played it.

#39 4 months ago
  40. polygem

@NocturnalB

“(…) when you could go out, buy a game, bring it home, pop it in the disc tray, and just play.”

i miss these days as well…maybe that´s why i enjoy gaming on handhelds so much, because for the most part gaming is still like that on these things.

[sidenote: i realised lately that i don´t feel like buying physical copies of disc based games anymore. i really enjoy buying digital now. i do it on steam obviously but for wiiu as well. discs and it´s cases...they just do not appeal to me anymore and feel like unneeded plastic trash to me. they come with less and less inlays too /that´s part of the plan to make you buy digital though :D

i still prefer physical copies for the handhelds though. i love those psp umds and nothing beats the good old cartridge.]

#40 4 months ago
  41. sebastien rivas

I agree with @2.

Although maybe DRM may need to disappear from the face of earth from all game services like we won a waged war from Hell. It definitely sound also like Uplay needs to be …. improved.
    1st and foremost make it lighter
    2nd the UI while adapted for very young generation does not appeal to my generation with these big asses icons like window stickers.

Personally, I have not yet got a problem with Uplay beside those cited above. But it is true DRM can be such a fucking drag on games!

#41 4 months ago
  42. YoungZer0

You make some great points that devs and publishers will ignore in a second. DRM is worthless. The game was cracked before it even hit the shelves. Right now the pirates are having a better experience. The game takes up less space on their hard drive and it actually WORKS.

If ubisoft would release the game in the state the pirates do, I’d gladly buy it.

But …

As painful and useless and shitty as uPlay is, it doesn’t stop there. The game suffers from severe stu-stu-stu-stu-stu-stu-stu-stu-stut-stut-stut-stut-stut-stut-stut-stutter-stutter-stutter-stutter-stutter-stutter-stutter-stutter-stutter-stutter-stutter-stuttering-ring-ring-ring-ring.

It’s another poorly ported piece of shit game. They literally destroyed everything that was positive about the game for the PC users.

I’d love to see VG247 ask Ubi just what the hell they were “optimizing” during the delay, because it’s not the PC Version, that’s for sure.

It’s an embarrassment, that a publisher/developer of this size is unable to properly port a game that is supposed to kickstart their new franchise. They should all be ashamed of themselves, they robbed their customers blind. Shame on them, really. They are an embarrassment. Bad enough that the game looks the way it does (inferior to a 2 year old version), but it runs absolutely terrible. Sleeping Dogs looks better than that. Hell, even Just Cause 2 does and those games are much, much older.

What the fuck were they doing? Have those cunts learned absolutely nothing from their mistakes during the last gen? Do they really want to be known for their poor PC ports? Despicable.

#42 4 months ago
  43. SinfulKnight

“They’ll torrent 50Gb to avoid downloading from Steam. Just accept it.” That’s the problem right there, telling a game company to accept that all there hard work and money spent is for nothing is the reason it’ll keep happening. If they stopped and just accept it then who’s to stop everyone from eventually doing the same and just downloading it.

A lot of this article is one-sided and I feel for my PC Gamers who had to suffer this day one. I agree that a lot needs to be changed for the better but saying to give up and let asses be asses isn’t the way to go. Implementing a better system is key and I have had many Uplay and Ubi issues over the years hence why they have been in Beta since forever but at least they know its a problem. It’s not like they are easily just ignoring it. Stress testing a server for millions isn’t an easy thing and every game company with a major launch has had these issues.

Piracy will always be an issue but saying to give up will only hurt the industry for both big devs and small.

#43 4 months ago
  44. Darkfield

@Tormenter lel Do you even play Diablo III? Cause I do on a daily basis and I run Torment rifts all day long and I get lots of fucked issues due to game being always online. Just today I was leveling my WD inside a rift where I encountered about 10 Treasure Goblins I killed them and the moment I went to loot them BAAM! “You have been removed from the game”

on Friday the server across the EU had authentication issues resulting long login times. So I think you should stop your bullshit, what Pat is saying is what most people like me want. No DRM craps specially in Solo/SP modes.

And I can go on about Diablo 3′s always online issues all day long and Diablo 3 is just one title!

#44 4 months ago
  45. Darkfield

@Darkfield Oh I see it was a quote, so I thought it was your opinion Tormentor. just clearing up.

PS: EDIT BUTTON where are you?!

#45 4 months ago
  46. LisciousOne

@Joe Musashi

Been reading your views on DRM and I have to say that this is one of those things were there isn’t a right/wrong per se. While I do agree with you that sometimes, we as gamers’ have a sense of entitlement and tend to “throw our toys out of the cot”, it is also a good thing not to tolerate everything thats thrown at us. It’s all about balance really. I remember buying FIFA 2011, I think it was, and it had a gamer breaking glitch that was never patched. And Battlefield 4? Sure it works now but not at launch and there are other examples. The point I’m trying to make is that Game makers get away with a lot of things due to the nature of the form of entertainment. We get sold lies, half finished games and bullshots prior to game launches frequently and there is no clear law governing such things. Therefore I can understand some peoples frustration, yet at the same time, I can tolerate certain bugs/delays/DRM fails in games.

Fair enough I could just play something else while they fix their servers but what point is there when pirates are happily playing said game? If it frustrates you, I think you have every right to vent. If not and you have the patience and tolerance to carry on as normal, then good for you. It is what it is.

#46 4 months ago
  47. 3rdParty

My game is now completely broken, died after leaving an online mission and was immediately killed by what I think was another player.

Now I can’t access any of my weapons or repurchase them, All my skills are locked, locked out of online games. It’s screwed.

Talked to a few other people who have experienced this problem since launch (other bugs seem to be dominating the feeds) and have given up trying to find and ask for a solution and stopped playing the game altogether.

#47 4 months ago
  48. AtotehZ

Nice article. This is exactly how I feel about Ubisoft.
    1. They build up a hype
    2. Show an awesome product
    3. Downgrade the program graphics
    4. The program still runs like shit, badly optimized
    5. There is an ocean of fatal- and game-breaking errors, so many that it’s hard to find out which category you fit under.
    6. There are several game-breaking design flaws.
    7. They are slow as **** with fixing the flaws. They still haven’t optimized graphics to an acceptable degree.
    8. They didn’t mention that the graphics could be restored.
    9. The restored graphics don’t really give a performance hit, a testimony to their shit optimization.
    10. It generally feels like they don’t give a shit.

I’m honestly done with Ubisoft. They say one thing and do another, it’s impossible to respect that.

@Talkar I’ve never experienced problems with Valve DRM, not even once. Uplay however… o’boy..

@dex3108 I hate having more than 1 game service online at the same time. Steam is enough for me and most publishers realize that. Then there’s Origin and Uplay.

#48 2 months ago
  49. AtotehZ

@AtotehZ Oh, and the reason I’m writing all this now is because I actually am still playing the game, it just pisses me off every time I’m victim of a bug. Right now I can’t even log into Uplay, I’m afraid to play with out it since I’ve heard of save-games going corrupt and apparently your notoriety is in the save-game.

Bugs in racing:
    1. Cars spawn around every player. When 2 players have a specific distance from each other, a distance which is determined by latency by the way, they risk having vehicles spawning literally on top of them.

2. If the host of the game you are playing lags, the traffic lags, the traffic can suddenly stand still.

3. If a player is lagging that player, depending on his latency, stands still for an amount of time. This means if you’re driving behind him and he starts lagging, you will drive into a stationary wall. This of course doesn’t affect the lagger as on his screen he is out of harms way.

#49 2 months ago