Watch Dogs sets Ubisoft sales record

Wednesday, 28th May 2014 20:57 GMT By Catherine Cai

Despite the glitches on PC and the restrictive UPlay DRM, Watch Dogs has managed to set a Ubisoft sales record. The relentless Watch Dogs PR and marketing campaign paid off, apparently.

watch dogs 030213

According to the UbiBlog, Watch Dogs has managed to outsell any other Ubisoft title in day one sales. Curiously, Ubisoft didn’t have any Watch Dogs sales numbers to share.

Regardless of the numbers, this is huge. An original IP has managed to outsell Ubisoft favorites like the Assassin’s Creed franchise and the Rayman franchise. Of course, the caveat is that with all the negative reviews that Watch Dogs has been racking up lately due to UPlay issues and PC glitches, the high flying sales numbers might not keep up.

1. Legendaryboss

“Regardless of the numbers, this is huge. An original IP has managed to outsell Ubisoft favorites like the Assassin’s Creed franchise and the Rayman franchise.” Yep this nails what i was going to say.

#1 4 months ago
  2. mamu-ti

It s not perfect game but it is good i like it.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Patrick Garratt

Serious business, yeah. So much buzz for it right now. It’s absolutely everywhere.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Erthazus

It’s an okay game. Not sure that it deserves so much after PR lies and etc. but Ubisoft need to improve Watch Dogs 2.

#4 4 months ago
  5. KAP

Just goes to show you, the huge majority of gamers gives two shits about negetive reviews on Watch Dogs.
    People online are more concern on discussing negatively on video games then actually playing, and god behold enjoying them. It’s quite fuckin’ sad really.

I’m loving Watch Dogs at the mo, it’s perfect for me. 100% recommend.

#5 4 months ago
  6. ManuOtaku

Well i dont know if this game deserves this numbers, i have yet to play it, but it is good for the industry that new ips sells good, so iam happy, and if the game does has is issues, the good thing is that have the option to improve it.
    Some good New ips that did shown some potential, didnt had that privilage, like bulletstorm, amalur, blur, etc.Therefore any time i see new ips doing well i do rejoice myself.

#6 4 months ago
  7. jmg24bad

Good for us. Hopefully watch dogs 2

#7 4 months ago
  8. Llewelyn_MT

I seriously don’t get the hype. It’s a 2008 GTA 4 with poor physics, lame graphics, and hacking. UDon’tPlay is even worse than GTA’s GfWL (not a thing many PC gamers back in a day deemed possible).

#8 4 months ago
  9. tenthousandgothsonacid

Yep, I flipping love it too. Worth buying a PS4 for.

#9 4 months ago
  10. bradk825

I really like to see a new IP do well. I want to see AAA take more risk and this was something fairly new for Ubisoft, I’m glad to see it sold well.

I’m having a tonne of fun playing it.

#10 4 months ago
  11. sebastien rivas

While I am very glad for Ubisoft and regardless developers clearly deserve this outcome.

I just wanted to pull this article back and place it next to the Watchdogs that VG247 along many gamers are feeling/experiencing right now.

What do you think the developers and pub are going to get out of this IP.
    1) It s a major success