Watch Dogs video compares ultra and low PC settings

Saturday, 24th May 2014 19:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Watch Dogs isn’t long for release, and for those wondering how the Ubisoft title looks on PC, Digital Storm has you covered.

In the video below, the team compares the game’s ultra and low settings.

To run the game in ultra graphics mode, players will need to have a rig sporting an Intel Core i7-4770K with a GeForce 780 or similar.

The minimum specs require an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 or an AMD Phenom II X4 940. The recommend cards for minimum are and Nvidia Geforce GTX 460, and AMD Radeon HD 5770 or equivalent.

You look over the spec requirements through the links.

Watch Dogs releases on PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One May 27. The Wii U version is still without a release date.

1. Reddpayn

There`s a clear difference, but it seems like that the graphical difference between the ps4 version (high) and the ultra version will remain minimal ( expect the framerate and the increase in resolution).

#1 6 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Apparently the game requires more than 3GB VRAM if you’re planning on running Ultra or it might get choppy, which is a shame. Still, the same thing was supposed to happen with Titanfall running on extreme textures, and i had no problems with choppiness there (780ti).

”expect the framerate and the increase in resolution”

…Which is a pretty big deal. There is a massive difference between 30fps (console) and 60-100 FPS (PC) for example. And don’t get me started on the jaggies on console games.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Rockstar Vienna

@Reddpayn

It depends imo. Take a look at the part with the red wall for example. Pretty much the same if you ask me. But anyway… the ultra footage does not look like the super awesome Nvidea Trailer, that’s for sure. I’m happy with my PS4 version. Overall great visuals and many details. Can’t complain. :)

#3 6 months ago
  4. Reddpayn

@Rockstar Vienna
    Yep, happy ps4 owner here too :)

#4 6 months ago
  5. BrokenSpline

Yeah not much to compare in the second scene but out in the open and when its raining or weather effects lots of difference between ultra and low. Can’t wait until Tuesday.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Erthazus

They are very minimal between ultra and high to be honest so console gamers don’t miss much. All this HBAO and other was just a sweet Ubisoft talk. Graphics in this game is meh at best anyway.

#6 6 months ago
  7. mxmassef

Panthro where are you :) ?
    It seems that you need to upgrade your gpu to run this game on the ultra mode ;) .

#7 6 months ago
  8. Xbone

The game is unplayable on my rig on any settings:
    AMD Phenom 2 X4 965be@4.00 gtx550ti 8gb ddr3.
    [hope its because i did not try a PROPER version yet (The last two time I bought an original game, I tryed the "demo" version)]

#8 6 months ago
  9. Xbone

@Xbone Oh come on… why cant I edit my own comment? I think I was able on the previous looking site.

#9 6 months ago
  10. BrokenSpline

@Xbone

You can’t be that stupid of course it is because you pirated especially since there will be a day one patch.

#10 6 months ago
  11. MaelstromOC

@BrokenSpline Pirating a game doesn’t make it run worse… However, there are new Nvidia drivers for this game and I’m sure there will be a patch on day one. It ran just fine on my rig with a few noticeable drops here and there (a few trouble areas).

Regardless, high to ultra doesn’t make that big of a difference in this game. HOWEVER, once you turn on HBAO+ it definitely makes a world of difference. The game looks incredibly flat to me without HBAO turned on (no nice soft shadows everywhere, vegetation looks much better with it on as well.) I think the biggest differences are the small things that can really pull you into the game more.

You’re also forgetting that the console version will not support as much traffic or npcs in an area at the same time as the pc would… that will also affect immersion for players. I’m still picking this up for PS4 so that I can play with my friends, but I definitely prefer the PC version by a long shot.

#11 6 months ago
  12. Panthro

@mxmassef

Here I am!

One of the devs said 90% of the team run it on ultra with a 670, my evga has almost the same performance as a 680, I’m not worried.

With games like these I always pirate (recently anyway) before I buy, just to see how the game is, if there’s a demo I get that.

Hate the word “pirate” though, I have a Steam account with close to 500 games now, I really wish developers would start putting out demo’s like they used to so I didn’t have to resort to doing stupid shit like downloading torrents.

#12 6 months ago
  13. GK

@Panthro i am tried pirate version,so with 670 card barely medium settings you can play.maybe it is pirate version,i don’t know.

#13 6 months ago
  14. mxmassef

@Panthro
    Yes it wuold be nice to get more demos. I m just waiting for the reviews for this game if it gets good scores I buy it because there is not anything else to play on my ps4 :) .

#14 6 months ago
  15. Panthro

@GK

What processor do you have?

#15 6 months ago
  16. Panthro

@mxmassef

I’m was going to wait for the reviews but then seen someone had leaked it and it would probably be better to try myself.

Fingers crossed my rig smashes through it, otherwise I will be SLI’ing it sooner than I thought.

#16 6 months ago
  17. GK

@Panthro i5-3570K 3.4GHz,8GB 1866 RAM

#17 6 months ago
  18. GK

maybe pirate version very unstable? because is you going in one direction,FPS is about 60-70,but you just fast spin in left or right,or you get in the car and start to drive,fps goes down to 5-15fps,it is impossible to play.

#18 6 months ago
  19. Reddpayn

@Panthro
    What kind of an operation needs to be done to sli your gpu?

#19 6 months ago
  20. Panthro

@GK

I have just played it, I know what you mean.

And we have the same processor, but mine is clocked to 4.2Ghz.

I had fraps running to take note of my FPS and I have Vsync turned on and it is stuck at 59/60fps and I get weird stutters and then the framerate stables again but it still stutters when the game is at 60fps, it makes no sense, it might get corrected in a patch.

#20 6 months ago
  21. mxmassef

@Panthro
    Would it be better to wait until the real next gen games to come like september or october or november and trade your gtx 670 egva edition to something like gtx 870 ti or something alike. I` m just saying :) .

#21 6 months ago
  22. Panthro

@GK

Yeah or it may be a bad copy, who knows

@Reddpayn

I just need an SLI bridge and another 670.

If that’s what you mean?

#22 6 months ago
  23. Reddpayn

@Panthro
    Ok. Just heard about problems like when game crashes cause the sli setup “confuses” it and the only resolution is to disable the another gpu and use only one instead of two.

#23 6 months ago
  24. GK

@Panthro we gonna know soon,left just two days,for some people just one day.

#24 6 months ago
  25. Hcw87

#25 6 months ago
  26. Game Hunter

Hey guys! I have a Asus laptop with i7 CPU(it says 8 CPUs in dxdiag),a Nvidia g630M 2gb gpu and 8gb ram.I manage to play all new video games like Thief and Assassin’s Creed IV on it with ultra settings but there is a huge problem and that is the low framrate.they both run at 10-25 fps(8-12 for Thief,10-30 for ACIV ).so I think I can play Watch Dogs on my pc with extremely low framerate.I don’t want to play the shitty X360 version(long disk 1 install ranging from 30-120 minutes,it took nearly 3 hours for the first disk of GTA V,on my Arcade X360)but I take 30 fps over 10 fps anyway.is my gpu that weak or I can do something to make it right?

#26 6 months ago
  27. Game Hunter

“Anyday” fucking spell checker errrrggghhh…

#27 6 months ago
  28. Panthro

@Hcw87

That has actually worked!

Now it is as smooth as something very fucking smooth.
    Graphics are still shitty at Ultra settings though in the day time, I think they spent faaar to much time working on how the game looks at night.

Thanks, by the way.

#28 6 months ago
  29. Reddpayn

@Game Hunter
    If i were you, i would take the x360 version. Your gpu is ment to play last gen games at 720p, medium settings and a fps like 30. So i think that the wd will run better on your x360 because of the console optimization, than on your pc.

#29 6 months ago
  30. Game Hunter

@Reddpayn T-T I paid 1000 $ for that thing two years ago thinking it would be enough for at least 3 years.FTW!

#30 6 months ago
  31. Panthro

@Game Hunter

Should have bought a desktop.

It will still “last” it just wont run anything maxed out.

#31 6 months ago
  32. Game Hunter

@Panthro then why the first time I ran those games,both of them set the graphics on ultra?

#32 6 months ago
  33. Panthro

@Game Hunter

That doesn’t mean much unless you press ‘choose optimal settings’ which only certain games have in there graphics settings.

Sometimes when I run a game for the first time it for some reason set’s the default resolution at 720p when my card is more than enough for 1080p gaming.

#33 6 months ago
  34. unknown_gamer

As i mention before , Ubisoft is the worst company when it comes to PC ports

#34 6 months ago
  35. Dog4life

As said before , these comparison should be watched on a big 55 inch TV to really see quite a difference and video quality as high a possible.

–> Most people watch these comparisons on a small PC screen and not even full window.

I saw Ign’s comaparison of BF4 on ps3 vs Ps4….. and they almost looked the same. (compressed and medium window size).
    But yhea, the truth is BF4 looks waaaaaaaaaaay better on ps4, it’s another world !

#35 6 months ago
  36. undermyrules

To truly experience Watch Dogs you need to play it with amd 295x/290 or nvidia 780/ti max settings textures ultra 4xmsaa at least 2k res 60 fps…..thats the even better than E3 2012….

#36 6 months ago
  37. Game Hunter

It’s been three days and the fucking headline of the site hasn’t changed,nor any news.what’s the matter?does the industry just get news in one day and the next 2-3 days there’s nothing to see?or this is just a change of attitude from VG?

#37 6 months ago
  38. Ekona

@Game Hunter We’ve had something called a ‘weekend’, when nothing really happens. Bank holiday today in the UK, too.

#38 6 months ago
  39. BrokenSpline

@Game Hunter

Its also a Memorial Day weekend in the US. SO don’t expect any news today.

#39 6 months ago
  40. YoungZer0

@BrokenSpline
    Does this impact the UK Staff though?

#40 6 months ago
  41. BrokenSpline

@YoungZer0

SOmeone just said its a bank holiday, so yes? THe point is there will be little to no news about games today.

#41 6 months ago
  42. viralshag

Yeah it was a public holiday here in the UK today so they’re probably off.

#42 6 months ago