Fallout 4 reveal for E3: don’t get your hopes up

Friday, 23rd May 2014 07:58 GMT By Patrick Garratt

If you were hoping to see Fallout 4 at E3 this year, you should probably dampen in your expectations.

fallout_3

If a tweet from Fallout 4 creator Bethesda is any indication, the next instalment in the RPG series won’t be show at E3 next month.

Answering a fan tweet, Bethesda PR boss Pete Hines said Fallout 4 – or whatever else Bethesda Games Studio’s next project may be, won’t be announced for some time.

Hines’ comment reiterates a statement from Bethesda head Todd Howard in February, in which he said: “We don’t [have a timeframe for our next game announcement], but I think it’s gonna be a while. We’ve gotten fairly used to all the questions and curiosity over the years. Everyone wants information. Right now, we’re just trying to figure out which of our ideas are going to stick and finding an appropriate time to talk about it.”

Fallout 4 was mentioned several times by VG247 readers as top desires for E3 reveals yesterday.

E3 takes place on the week commencing June 9 in Los Angeles.

1. DoubleM

I really want a new Fallout, but on the other hand, I still haven’t completed Fallout 2 and Skyrim DLCs. Also Wasteland 2 comes out in a month, so I’ll probably be busy playing that for some time.

Let them have their time with Fallout 4 and make more content for it. I remember Bethesda announcing Oblivion for Playstation 3 and “Xbox 2″, because the new consoles hadn’t even been announced at that time. So we can be sure that they’re making Fallout 4 only for the new consoles and it may take them some time.

But just imagine a Fallout bigger than Fallout 3… I can’t even imagine it in my mind, it’s beyond imagination.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Darkfield

Fuck you Pete Hines.

Sincerely,
    The fans

#2 4 months ago
  3. Moonwalker1982

I really don’t get this. They haven’t even announced a goddamn game yet,and why? Even if they were to announce Fallout 4, we’d still be waiting a year and a half or two years. But at least we’d have confirmation that the game is in development. We really don’t know a damn thing now.

I kinda want to believe Hines says this on purpose to mislead people and either reveal it during E3 or VGA this year, but if that were the case, he could have simply not answered this question.

#3 4 months ago
  4. ddtd

@Moonwalker1982 “Even if they were to announce Fallout 4, we’d still be waiting a year and a half or two years.”

Bethesda is kind of like Rockstar with their announcements. They don’t want to put anything out there until it’s almost ready to go out. They didn’t announce Skyrim until it was less than a year from release.

#4 4 months ago
  5. fearmonkey

I wonder what is up with the game, as it usually doesnt take this long unless they are making significant engine overhauls. Todd Howard said that the Skyrim engine would be utilized for two games before they created new technology. Morrowind released in 2002, Oblivion released 2006, Fallout 3 released in 2008, and Skyrim released in 2011. The only times that they took this long in development was when there was an engine change.

It sounds like they have decided to go next gen and PC only and really upgrade the engine, or maybe something else entirely. I thought that they might not want to compete in the same release year as TESO, but I thought we might get a tease or something this year. A long time to me means probably the end of the year at spike or early next year the very earliest.

Darn you Bethesda.. I want my Fallout 4.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Moonwalker1982

@ddtd Yeah that;s true. They announced Skyrim at the VGA and almost a year later it came out. Was it the same for Fallout 3 though?

@Fearmonkey I read a comment today of someone and it was about how BGS is abandoning Gamebryo engine and thus Creation engine too, cause those clearly are one and the same even if Bethesda said it wasn’t. So that could explain it.

#6 4 months ago