PS4 “likely” to exceed profits earned with PS2, says Hirai

Thursday, 22nd May 2014 20:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

PlayStation 4 sales expectations are high, and with 7 million units sold since its November 2013 launch, Sony boss Kaz Hirai feels sales is just getting started.

Speaking during a corporate strategy meeting today, reported by Impress Watch and posted on NeoGAF, Hirai said the growing popularity of digital and strong hardware sales less than a year out, PS4 could eventually surpass PlayStation 2 as Sony’s best-selling console.

“It is likely that PS4 will become the platform which exceeds the profits earned with PS2,” said Hirai as translated by Eurogamer.

Despite posting company wide losses in its latest financial report, sales in Sony’s game division increased year-over-year as well as quarterly compared to fiscal year 2012. The firm sold 14.6 million PS2, PS3 and PS4 consoles in FY13, and Sony expects hardware sales to increase in the coming year.

Sony sold 3.7 million home consoles in Q4 FY13 and 700,000 Vita, Vita TV and PSPs for quarter, with 2.3 million for the year.

The firm has predicted 17 million home console sales and 3.5 million portable console sales for FY14.

1. Dragon

@Steph,
    PS2 isn’t counted anymore, since Q4 2012-13. Its mentioned in the reports on the bottom.

#1 7 months ago
  2. fearmonkey

With off the shelf parts rather than a ton of custom silicon, the PS4 probably wouldn’t need to sell the numbers the PS2 to make a bigger profit..

#2 7 months ago
  3. Joe Musashi

Hmmm, it’s not entirely clear but are there one or two claims here?

The article mentions:

“PS4 could eventually surpass PlayStation 2 as Sony’s best-selling console..”

The quoted text from Hirai mentions:

“It is likely that PS4 will become the platform which exceeds the profits earned with PS2″

So the article claim refers to, presumably, unit sales of the product. Hirai’s quoted claim refers to PS4 exceeding the profits of PS2. The latter would be trickier to quantify.

Either way, let’s hope their confidence doesn’t turn to arrogance.

JM

#3 7 months ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@Dragon If you look at the link to the financials, you will see a slide – the first one posted – showing PS2 sales included in the 14.6 million figure. From FY14, Which started April 1, PS2 will no longer be included in the figures per the slide’s footnote.

#4 7 months ago
  5. onlineatron

shhhh kaz shhhhhhh

sony’s doing a great job at being humble right now—heck, i even saw a couple of their devrel team post about super time force congats to capy!

bragging about eventual sales seems tacky at this stage

#5 7 months ago
  6. ddtd

PS4 is doing gangbusters, but Sony’s problem right now is that their not moving PS3s at the same rate that PS2s were selling during their last launch in 2006.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Judicas

Someone needs to teach this guy about counting chickens before they hatch

#7 7 months ago
  8. TheWulf

I’m becoming less and less interested in Sony’s offerings because the variety of games on offer has become less and less pronounced with each platform. The variety of PS3 stuff made me ignore the platform until the end of its lifespan — I’ve now picked up the few games I wanted for it super cheap, and they’re not that many. My PS2 library, however, was staggeringly massive.

The PS4 has absolutely nothing that interests me and I can’t see me buying one for a very long time, if ever. I mean, Microsoft’s console is out, anyway, simply because they’ve never had anything I actually want to buy (this is nothing to do with brand, but everything to do with the kind of people they make games for). So… yeah. I find I’m becoming ever more and more of a PC gamer.

The thing is is that the consoles these days just tend to be ‘slow and overly linear FPS titles, psychotically violent sandboxes of ultimate boredom, and bad third person adventure game machines, with boring settings, one-dimensional characters, cloyingly familiar settings, and plenty of machismo/racism/misogyny on offer for the thick types who actually consume such putrid forms of entertainment.

I don’t want those three types of games!

Just look at the library of the PS2, versus PS3, versus PS4, and you can see how true this is. I mean, the PS2 launched with some borrowed titles from the Dreamcast, so it had the likes of Ecco, Shenmue, and the first Sonic Adventure (the good one) out of the gate. Then it went on to have a plethora of fun, colourful 3D platformers, RPGs, puzzle games, and other general wackiness and weirdness (which is undefinable, much in the way Ecco is) that just isn’t found on the later consoles.

I think that the more the console market is aimed at knuckle-dragging thickos who revel in glorified Hollywood violence (and all the horribleness that entails), the less interesting and varied the games become. We haven’t seen a Ratchet & Clank, LittleBigPlanet, Sly Cooper, Katamari, Star Ocean, Okami, or anything of the sort announced for the PS4. It’s just more of the stuff I mentioned above.

I actually miss when gaming was a niche thing aimed at nerdy introverts, unintuitive extroverts have really ruined gaming for everyone else. I’m sick of slow, linear FPS games, I’m sick of psychopaths in sandboxes, I’m sick of dull, unimaginative third-person action adventures soaked in macho bullshit, misogyny, and racism, I’m sick of schlock horror, I’m sick of playing games obviously meant for dim-witted people.

Games completely devoid of romance, wonder, fun, imagination, creativity, and colour.

I miss it.

So I can’t see me buying a PS4, despite that sales are increasing. Geez, we need a paradigm shift, and that paradigm shift needs to be that genetics needs to generally shift from sensing extroverts to intuitive introverts en masse. If my kind of person were the majority, gaming would become fun again.

#8 7 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Oops.

[...] and bad third person adventure game machines [...]” –> “and bad third person adventure game verisimilitude-machines [...]

And I do feel that way, we’re soaked in games obviously aimed at straight, white, cis-gendered men whose brains are so completely drowned in testosterone that they don’t even understand why the current state of gaming is a bad thing. Games for the Manosphere, yo.

Man, I miss the ’90s and early ’00s. We were getting so progressive, until we all tumbled over the shit cliffs and plummeted back down to rock bottom. I remember a time when I was actually optimistic about humanity!

#9 7 months ago
  10. jmg24bad

I hope it does. They just need to throw vs one heavy support for behind it

#10 7 months ago
  11. Reddpayn

@TheWulf
    Are you serious? You are posting this just before e3 and claim that ps4 has no games to your liking currently? Just wait and youll see that the 7 month old console will most definitely get some unique or non violent games in the future, and this situation called “no games” (which is true, expect wd for me atleast) will change.

#11 7 months ago
  12. Arnvidr

@Reddpayn @TheWulf
    Also, with all the indie promise, I’m guessing the PS4 will soon outpace the PS3 in catering to a broad variety of gaming interests.

It’s still a bit bare though, I can’t myself buying a PS4 until next year at the earliest. But I’m betting there’s a lot of people like me, who will make the PS4 a continuing seller for years to come. Let’s hope Sony doesn’t drop the ball.

#12 7 months ago
  13. Digital Bamboo

@Arnvidr Yep, there are plenty of late adopters waiting on the sidelines playing catch-up with any number of other systems. I’m one.

Can’t see myself buying a PS4 for at least 2 years myself, but I’ll get one.

Currently have $300 burning a hole in my pocket which I would love to drop on a Wii U, but it hasn’t even been released in the country I’m living in yet (and even if it were, it’s region locked, so Nintendo must *really* not want my money). Guess I’ll spend it on some PS3 exclusives, or a 2nd GPU instead.

On topic: I think it’s a bit premature to be making such claims. But, with the rise of digital purchases, the popularity of PS Plus, and whatever other features they have in store, I can certainly see how PS4 could surpass PS2 in terms of overall profits, even if it doesn’t reach the same number of units sold.

#13 7 months ago