NeoGAF’s owner turned down $10 million offer for the site

Thursday, 22nd May 2014 12:54 GMT By Dave Cook

NeoGAF owner Tyler Malka – known on the forum as EvilLore – has stated that he has turned down a $10 million offer to buy-out the site.

neogaflogo

As part of our three-part interview with Malka, the NeoGAF owner revealed that he had previously rejected offers of up to $5 million.

Now, on this thread, he simply stated, “offer doubled since.”

During our interview, Malka said, “I’ve had some really lucrative offers – $5 million offers. Kind of insane, isn’t it? But – I’m passionate about what I do.

“It was about … maybe last year, is when major corporate buy-out offers really started to hit on a regular basis. That’s right around the time that I sort of investigated – out of curiosity – what sort of deal they’re actually offering here, because they talk figures right from the start.

“I investigated; I went through the process a little bit, gave them some information to evaluate – and then I got the – talking about, like, the 5 million dollar range sort of offer.”

Ultimately however, Malka turned the deals down after careful consideration.

“When you’re getting into that range – ‘retire comfortably and take care of everybody you care about for the rest of your life’ – sort of money, then you really have to decide what the most important thing to you is. Do you feel like you’ve accomplished all you want to accomplish or not?

“You can keep on doing things, obviously, after cashing out, but you can’t keep doing what… y’know, what you got to that level of success with. Like, I’d still be running NeoGAF, I’d still be in control of it. Eventually I would probably leave it behind and move onto some other project that I would actually have control over again – and I wasn’t really comfortable with making that decision.”

1. Hcw87

What an idiot. He wouldn’t have to work a single day more in his entire life with that cash.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Sethos

#1 You’re the only idiot here. He didn’t sell NeoGAF or himself out, major kudos. It’s little bitches like you that would sell their bodies for a klondike bar.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Samurai

@Sethos When it comes to something like $10 million, I’d sell a gaming forum. Why would you compare selling a gaming forum to selling your body?

#3 7 months ago
  4. tenthousandgothsonacid

Yeah, but he didn’t sell out. Unlike this place (since the re-design) with its endless ads and list articles :(

#4 7 months ago
  5. CPC_RedDawn

@Sethos

Are you kidding me? Really? I strongly doubt that if someone offered you $10 million that you would turn it down. And for a gaming forum that has a bad enough reputation as is it. I would of sold it in a heartbeat, say my goodbye’s and go live on a beach somewhere whilst my money earns for me.

True, you have to give kudos for him to have the balls to turn down such offers and carry on with his work. But stupid is still stupid.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Night Hunter

You people are talking as if he was a beggar. GAF has a shitload of traffic, he’s probably rich already. Not 10 million dollar rich, but wealthy enough to live a pretty good life. And if it is his passion why should he sell out?

#6 7 months ago
  7. KAP

@Samurai

Sethos has a point, many today would rather sell there creation for an easy life, instead of, to build something meaningful. It’s a little thing called Integrity. Many of which don’t have.
    Don’t get it twited though the creator of NeoGaf is already very wealthy, and travels the world while at the same time moderating his site.

But my point is, just because you don’t want to sell something you believe in for cash, doesn’t make you a fool. Quite the opposite infact.

Watch the documentary on the creation of NeoGaf:

#7 7 months ago
  8. Sethos

#5 “Bad reputation”, it’s the biggest gaming related forum on the internet with lots of game developers and other prominent people registered and active. The bad reputation comes from the fact that it’s a massive source of information, news, leaks and opinions which makes a lot of people butthurt. The fact that a lot of people can’t even join up makes them even more butthurt.

Mr. Malka has a good thing going. He’s living a comfortable life with lots of travelling and clearly does not need the money! Had he sold it, everyone would be going “lelelel sellout” and now for once, someone actually has some fucking balls and some spine, then that’s bad too.

Maybe for your average basement dweller and their McD job, they would sell their family for 10 million.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Gheritt White

I thought this was well-known public knowledge?

No? Was it just me who was aware of this already?

#9 7 months ago
  10. Sethos

#9 The interview is from last year, so it’s not exactly news. Might be a friendly reminder?

#10 7 months ago
  11. Gheritt White

@Sethos I’M NOT YOUR FRIEND, PAL.

#11 7 months ago
  12. OmegaSlayer

It’s nice to see someone with morals in this world.

I had an experience on an independent site for a single game with a big community.
    That site was closely related to the devs.
    I started making questions and come up with arguments because some stuff was shady to say the least.
    The result was that I was contacted by the head of the staff, telling me that if I would have kept questioning the developers, the developers would have stopped feeding the site with early news and “bribes”.
    Bribes wasn’t intended as money, but as DLCs, free stuff, and overall moving the top priority to another site.

So basically, people slowly put me to the margins to avoid problems with the devs.

Connivance in gaming site is something that exists even in smaller sites, realize it or not.
    Often, people from sites is forced to sugar coat stuff to people because the devs won’t ever get out pubblically with unpopular decisions and stuff.

So, seeing someone like EvilLore who refuse trucks of money for his integrity is something that warms my heart.
    I’m sad for him, cuz moneh is moneh, and it’s a lot.
    But thanks to people like him, the world is still free to think and not controlled.

#12 7 months ago
  13. Hcw87

You’re acting as if Neogaf is the only gaming forum out there. If Neogaf shut down, people would find someplace else.

You’re also acting as if Neogaf is the holy grail of gaming news/leaks. What, like this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820762

Just because you require signups to use private email addresses doesn’t mean you’ll have a clean site free of fanboys. The site is actually really bad fanboy-wise.

So yes, he isn’t really smart to turn down such an offer just for some internet cred.

#13 7 months ago
  14. Gekidami

I agree with HCW, not selling up is ridiculous. In the end Neogaf is just a forum, and as far as actual content goes, besides user posted threads, its basic as fuck. What will he gain by keeping ownership? The ability to mod? He could have asked that he keep a similar role without being the owner.

Seems the only thing going for him here is that he’s not a “sell-out”. But seriously, for a forum thats about as advanced and as content packed as a free forum you can knock up in 5mins, you may as well become a “sell-out”.

I bet whats really going on is that he just wants the price to rise even more.

#14 7 months ago
  15. schnide

I’d like to know how many people calling this guy stupid have ever been smart enough to setup a website getting buy-out offers of $10 million.

No? It’s all gone strangely quiet. Best you get back to setting the world to rights.

#15 7 months ago
  16. DarkElfa

@Sethos For 10 mil, I’d take it straight in the butt.

#16 7 months ago
  17. antraxsuicide

@Sethos
    Amen. This guy makes plenty to get by on, and he gets to keep his own creation too. That’s something that people who’ve never created anything can’t understand.

#17 7 months ago
  18. illuminatusv

Is this really news worthy? If he had an offer of that amount of money that can be true or untrue. For further confirmation he should have named who wanted to buy a internet game forum for that amount of money. Personally I have my doubts, but anyway who cares. Story came up only because he lost his media status for E3 and is not invited directly anymore. Looks like it was important to him.

#18 7 months ago