Nathan Drake is a villain in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Thursday, 22nd May 2014 14:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will feature the voice talents of none other than Joel from The Last of Us and Uncharted’s Nathan Drake; otherwise known as Troy Baker and Nolan North, respectively.

Video game musical composer Garry Schyman will provide the original score, and other talents include Mass Effect’s Alastair Duncan, Grand Theft Auto 5′s Liam O’Brien, and Halo 4′s Laura Bailey.

It is also being written by Christian Cantamessa, who penned Red Dead Redemption, Manhunt and Manhunt 2.

Here’s the list:

• Troy Baker – Talion (The Last of Us, Batman: Arkham Origins, BioShock Infinite, Batman: Arkham City)
  • Nolan North – Black Hand (Uncharted series, Batman: Arkham Origins)
  • Alastair Duncan – Wraith (Mass Effect series, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception)
  • Laura Bailey – Ioreth (Halo 4, Batman: Arkham Origins, The Last of Us)
  • Liam O’Brien – Gollum (Infamous: Second Son, Grand Theft Auto V, The Last of Us)

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor releases on PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One worldwide on October 7.

1. Panthro

Uncharted and LOTR are in completely different universes so I doubt it.

Fact check VG247, fact check…

You guys are slacking to believe something like this, Im leaving.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@Panthro Err…Steph didn’t literally mean Nathan Drake was in the game. Sure you realise that? The *voice* of Nathan Drake is in both games.

#2 3 months ago
  3. Panthro

New trailer looks a lot more like LOTR than the others, I like it!

#3 3 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

@Dave Cook

Woosh! Come one, Dave. That one was obvious. ;)

#4 3 months ago
  5. psxman

Is it a spoiler to say that everyone in that list aside from Alastair was in The Last of Us.

#5 3 months ago
  6. joshua nash

@psxman Nolan North was in Last of US? that can’t be I played the hell out of it and never heard is voice

#6 3 months ago
  7. Fin

Good headline (from URL):
    Middle Earth Shadow of Mrdor stars Troy Baker and Nolan North

Bad headline:
    Nathan Drake is a villain in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Fuck it, this site’s gone too tabloid/lowbrow for me, I’m out till it returns to normal.

#7 3 months ago
  8. Joe Musashi

@6 He was. He played “David”. An unpleasant character that Ellie encounters quite late in the game.

JM

#8 3 months ago
  9. salarta

… Not to be too critical, but the headline is misleading to the point that it makes me think there could be credence to the accusations that VG247 is moving into a cheap clickbait approach to articles on the site. It makes it sound like Nathan Drake, the actual character, would be included in some way into the game, when the title could’ve avoided that with a simple change to “Nathan Drake’s voice actor is a villain in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.”

The argument that people “should know better” doesn’t fly because games do these things often, through DLC or extra side missions.

#9 3 months ago
  10. Gheritt White

OMG UNCHARTED vs LOTR CROSS-OVER!!! #iamexcite

#10 3 months ago
  11. Obernox

OMFG Liam O’Brien is in EVERYTHING! i’m so sick of his voice…. He voiced like, every NPC in Obsidian’s Dungeon Siege III.

He was both an ally and the main fucking enemy in Valkyria Chronicles 2… I think he was a book once, and he’s even in Skullgirls…

#11 3 months ago
  12. Stephany Nunneley

@Fin Glad you pay attention to URLs. And apologies for trying to be ‘funny’ with the headline. No one has a sense of humor today. Must be because it’s close to the weekend.

#12 3 months ago
  13. Obernox

He was an awesome Kain in Dissidia though.

#13 3 months ago
  14. joshua nash

@Joe Musashi So Nolan voiced the pedo that Ellie shanks in the steak house. Man when Nolan plays a creepy mother****er he really does it well

Also, Liam “I’m in just as many if not more games then Troy and Nolan” O’Brien I really don’t like that he is voicing Gollum at all, maybe I’ll grow to enjoy his version, though I will always be expecting him to utter the words “SAND COFFIN”

#14 3 months ago
  15. salarta

@Stephany Nunneley I think it’s more that many people feel VG247 is trying to change to be more about getting as many hits as possible regardless of how it’s done, and though you meant to be funny, articles like the one here look like attempts at clickbait to boost views beyond what they would be if the headline actually represented the article content.

It’d be like having an article title that said “Lightning is a recruit in Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain,” then you click on the article and find out it’s just the person that voice acted Lightning playing the part of a new character, not another of the many many schemes Squeenix has pulled to try to force the character into popularity.

#15 3 months ago
  16. YoungZer0

@Stephany Nunneley

Not that I didn’t think it was funny or anything, but you guys have to admit that you’re currently undergoing a change. A change that A LOT of internet sites have gone under. Very terrible website have it, like Kotaku and now you’re adapting it as well.

You’re better than that.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Joe Musashi

@14 OMFG SPOILER!!

JM

#17 3 months ago
  18. Gheritt White

@salarta How about you GET A JOB before criticising the VG24/7 staff, you fucking STUDENT?

The site needs hits so the staff can get paid. The staff need to get paid so that they can live.

Don’t like an article? Don’t fucking click on it. Simple.

#18 3 months ago
  19. Gheritt White

@salarta Also, you’ve been here for like 2 minutes. I hardly think you’ve any right to start bitching about changes to the site.

#19 3 months ago
  20. AmiralPatate

I wonder which is the most obvious: Nolan North in a video game, explosions in a Michael Bay production or Sean Bean dying in a movie?

#20 3 months ago
  21. schnide

@salarta

+10

#21 3 months ago
  22. Stephany Nunneley

@AmiralPatate Seriously. +100 to charisma for that! :D :D

#22 3 months ago
  23. joshua nash

@Joe Musashi well I’m sorry that I spoiled the game for you

#23 3 months ago
  24. YoungZer0

I’m just gonna pretend that this is a new Soul Reaver game and have fun with it.

#24 3 months ago
  25. Fin

[I popped back to see how this comments thread was]

@Stephany Nunneley

Yeah it’s not about a sense of humour (though the title wasn’t really funny, in my opinion), it’s about the change in editorial direction (which I mentioned to Pat in another thread).

VG247 was always about getting the news as quickly as possible with the occasional opinion piece.
    The new direction definitely feels like you’re going for the lowest common denominator – “You won’t believe how good this [INSERT GAME HERE] footage looks!”, the amount of times the word “you” has appeared in headlines the last 24 hours is ridiculous. I can’t quite describe the tone – maybe it’s more casual, less formal? It’s the like instead of just stating the story “PSN Store Updates with Discovery Section”, you’re tagging an action for the reader, “Here’s how it works”. Not sure exactly, but whatever it is, I don’t like it.

I’m not criticising you or Dave, I assume Pat or Matt (or the management above them) has decided the way it’s going. And I’m not a fan.

#25 3 months ago
  26. Selderane

How long until a “Lord of the Rings” game has us chucking fireballs and chaining lightning attacks?

Middle-earth is a low magic setting. It’s not frickin’ D&D. The ability to possess minds? Sauron himself couldn’t even do that!

#26 3 months ago