Driveclub: Inside PS4′s Forza killer

Thursday, 22nd May 2014 15:00 GMT By Matt Martin

“Good enough isn’t good enough for Evolution.” Behind the scenes with the delays and determination of PlayStation 4′s great racing hope.

driveclub

There’s a lot riding on Driveclub. Sony has to deliver on the promise of a true next-generation racing game after that painful delay. The game has to square up to competitors already successfully carving their own space in the crowded racing genre. And Evolution has to prove it can still deliver as a development studio in a UK scene that has seen utter devastation over the past five years.

We recently visited the team in the north of England to get hands-on with the game, speak candidly about the difficult development process, and see Sony’s vision of the future of the racing genre.

Driveclub: What’s free, how is it better since the delay, and why you should care

Driveclub: Brand new off-screen race footage

Driveclub: “We could have released it last year, it would have been a good game…”

Driveclub: The insane levels of detail in PS4′s new racing franchise

Driveclub: 50+ new screenshots to break the bank

1. Dog4life

I hated Gran Turismo being boring as hell and enjoyed as hell Forza.

Now that i own only PS4 , i hope Driveclub turn out as great and fun racer

#1 3 months ago
  2. super3001

flamebait headline. dc is nothing like forza.

change troll headline

#2 3 months ago
  3. Mike W

@super3001

Lol, it’s downright hilarious to hear a “troll” talk about a “troll” headline.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Iliad

“crowded racing genre” – are you kidding? There’s only two next-gen racing games, and only one of those on PS4. Also, Forza killer? Don’t be so dramatic – they’re nothing alike. Forza Motorsport is sim, and Forza Horizon open world… albeit it small world. DriveClub is shaping up to be more a PGR, and if it’s half as good as PGR2 it’ll be something special.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Panthro

30fps is the bare minimum for a game to be at least playable.

I would take downgraded graphics to achieve 60fps any day.

These developers have you all wrong apparently, if you really do only care about gameplay then they should be focusing more on things like framerate instead of pushing the console passed it’s boundaries so far that it negatively affects how the game plays.

30fps is a negative experience in my book.

Wont be playing it, 30fps is uncomfortable.

#5 3 months ago
  6. Panthro

There are MANY other games which will play better due to the 60fps.

I won’t be missing much.

#6 3 months ago
  7. gomersoul

@panthro your snobbery makes you miss out on a lot of great games. Get over it

#7 3 months ago
  8. illuminatusv

Forza killer? hahahahaha in their dreams …. but in the end it is a compliment because the new role model for a racing series is now Forza and not Gran Turismo anymore it seems …

#8 3 months ago
  9. Untold stories

Any game directly competing against Forza sounds good to me. I just wish polyphony could have gotten their shit together.

#9 3 months ago
  10. jmg24bad

Miss out on a great game if you want to. 30 fps is more than playable

#10 3 months ago
  11. Redh3lix

Where has the PS4 filter gone from the header? Why is there a COD, Dark Shite and Pokeman filter? Site broke???

#11 3 months ago
  12. jmg24bad

And I am sorry to say. But gran Turismo 6 reviewed higher than forza 5. And then to cut forza up even more , to get 1080p 60fps on forza, the cut a shit ton of stuff out. Driveclub shits all over forza and even in its mouth in the details department.

#12 3 months ago
  13. zoopdeloop

@illuminatusv
    First it was the editor’s headline and not a quote from Sony or Evolution.
    Secondly as far as competition goes this is the only ps4 exclusive racing game right now hence the headline.So hardly making Forza the role model
    Thirdly the game isn’t out yet to know if the headline is spot on or not.

…yes you’re that dumb

#13 3 months ago
  14. Tech-N9ne

@zoopdeloop
    Why insult @illuminatusv, he has a right to his opinion, people like you make me sick! Hiding behind a computer, insulting folks for no reason.

#14 3 months ago
  15. ysleiro

“Forza killer” jajajajajaja.

#15 3 months ago
  16. Joe Musashi

It is contradictory to champion someone’s right to express an opinion by begrudging another expressing theirs.

JM

#16 3 months ago
  17. majormayhem70

@jmg24bad Considering that Forza and Drive Club were slated to be day one releases, and only one of those games found its way on store shelves along side console release date while the other kept getting pushed back… No, no, a little bit further… Keep going… Keeeeep going… Forget it, just keep backing up, and we’ll tell you when it’s safe to come forward. After all this time, it better run circles around Forza. Only problem is, it backed so far up that now Forza Horizon might be well, right on the horizon (pun intended) If F Horizon comes out this year, how about we make the comparison between two games that came out the same year.

#17 3 months ago
  18. zoopdeloop

@Tech-N9ne
    if you haven’t figured it out he isn’t forming an opinion.

#18 3 months ago
  19. bobnice

Ooh I dont know about the headline, does seem a little like flame bait. Forza5 has more car physics and driving simulation in its small pinky than driveclub looks to have, Forza has more in common with a Gran Turismo than Drive Club. Drive club looks more in the genre of a Dirt 2, Dirt Showdown or NFS Pro Street with exotic cars.

#19 3 months ago
  20. bobnice

As far as a graphical comparison to Forza, here is what IGN had to say:

“Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I’d say that Driveclub’s 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5′s 1080p/60fps looks. I’d give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I’d have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call. But this isn’t a console face-off; PS4 players are certainly not going to be disappointed by Driveclub’s looks.”

They also said it plays more like a PGR than a pure Sim.

#20 3 months ago
  21. Nintendo1985

Lol funny title.
    It can’t even run on 60fps like Forza5.
    It’s stuck at 30 fps.

Plus, Forza 5 came out last year as a launch title.

#21 3 months ago
  22. Nintendo1985

Wait for Forza Horizon 2 which is heavily rumored to show up at E3.

Then we can do a fair comparison.
    DriveClub vs Forza Horizon 2

Should be fun :)

#22 3 months ago
  23. Panthro

@gomersoul

Like what?

#23 3 months ago
  24. Panthro

@gomersoul

Racing isn’t exactly the most varied genre, I bet I have played this game 100 times before at 60fps

It’s not snobbery either.

I want a higher quality experience since I’m used to higher quality experiences.

It’s like going from driving a new BMW to a banged up Renault.

Don’t call a man a snob for liking Steak just because your happy eating turd.

#24 3 months ago
  25. illuminatusv

@zoopdeloop some living in their own world and some in the reality …

#25 3 months ago
  26. Joe Musashi

Comparing different games and declaring one better than an (unreleased) other based on frame-rate?

Seems legit.

JM

#26 3 months ago
  27. MuscledRMH

Gran Turismo 6 was a fail and I don’t think Driveclub can compete with a big game like Forza tbh

#27 3 months ago
  28. Nintendo1985

At both consoles now at $400, this E3 will decide which one I finally buy.

#28 3 months ago
  29. zoopdeloop

@illuminatusv
    i guess you fall into the 1st category since you don’t have experience with the subject at hand

#29 3 months ago
  30. Panthro

@Joe Musashi

How did I declare one better?

I basically said all racing games are mostly the same, and they are.

And I would take a 60fps title over a 30fps title.

What about Drive Club has been released which actually sets it apart from other racing simulators?

#30 3 months ago
  31. zoopdeloop

@Nintendo1985
    it’s obvious they chose not to go with 60fps to give more visual detail.Not that it couldn’t handle it.
    Forza was 60fps but looked really close to a 360 game (forza 4)

“Plus, Forza 5 came out last year as a launch title.

Wait for Forza Horizon 2 which is heavily rumored to show up at E3.

Then we can do a fair comparison.
    DriveClub vs Forza Horizon 2″

Until Forza Horizon 2 launches wouldn’t that make DC old?Same thing.So not really a fair comparisson.

#31 3 months ago
  32. Joe Musashi

Isn’t it interesting that you felt I was referring to you? I wasn’t.

Though your antics here are as transparent as they have been everywhere.

If you’re going to posit yourself as a non-snob then allow me to add another term and assert you, and many of your tiresome rhetoric ilk, have an inferiority complex. For if you were so smugly content with your über-machine as your blathering desperately attempts to convey, over and over and over and over again, you would be playing games on it and not constantly shitting over console topics saying how superior your gaming experience is to those you demean.

Don’t take this personally though. The observation applies to all platform elitists he are unable to control their need to talk down to others about their platform’s superiority. You’re far from alone.

I’m really puzzled as to why you’re acting the way you are rather than playing something like Assetto Corsa. Puzzled. Not interested. Note the distinction.

JM

#32 3 months ago
  33. Panthro

@Joe Musashi

Joe! You are a genius! Wow, I’m blown away by how good you read people, you should be a psychiatrist, diagnosing me with an inferiority complex like that!

…Now now we can’t play games all day can we.

Had a good 3 hours on Gmod TTT earlier followed by an hour or so on Minecraft.

Also I never once even mentioned in my post that my ‘uber rig’ was better, I didn’t even MENTION PC at all.
    I also have both last gen systems and a PlayStation 4, sorry I don’t kiss the toes of every title that comes out on a platform I own.

Also, the reason I’m not playing Asseto Corsa is… because it sucks.
    _____
    I was discussing framerate and racing titles? if you don’t want people to confuse your posts as replies then maybe next time include there name in the comment.

#33 3 months ago
  34. Panthro

Currently have Wolfenstein downloading to.

#34 3 months ago
  35. Joe Musashi

Rather than pay attention, you opted to prove my point. In your haste to trip over your smug self and exhibit your master-race prowess in a topic that, as you fully know, doesn’t address your particularly insipid elitist demographic:

You’ve done what you did before: assert to all the people that really couldn’t give a shit and didn’t ask for your diatribe how happy you are to be gaming on a superior platform and having a superier experience. Keep on banging that drum about being so pleased and so superior. Bang! Bang! Bang!

Your need to tell us, over and over and over and over and over again far far eclipses our need to know.

You’re not trying to convince others. You’re trying to convince yourself.

There’s many better places in this site to lecture us on your state of gaming nirvana. But you grace us with your elitist bile in places where you find it easiest to lord over others. Preaching your sermon to those lesser beings. Or rather, those you percieve as being lesser than you.

Your actions, not your words are what displays your true colours.

And, underlining all that, you don’t pay attention.

I said I was puzzled. I made a point of saying I wasn’t interested. I made a point of suggesting you observe the distinction between the two. You failed to do that quite spectacularly.

JM

#35 3 months ago
  36. Panthro

@Joe Musashi

Your reading my post’s wrong, as usual.
    WHEN HAVE I MENTIONED PC GAMING?
    I have had some of the best experiences with racing games on console, why the fuck do you keep trying to jump on my comments like I am attacking a console for no reason? I’m not, I am talking about Driveclub, a game on a console I own.

Is 60fps a PC exclusive feature? Of course it isn’t, hence why I never mentioned the PC platform and was solely talking about RACING GAMES ON CONSOLE.

You like to reply to people’s comments as if you are the voice of reason when really, you just come off as to put it bluntly a stuck up prick.

I’m done, see ya’ JM.

#36 3 months ago
  37. Joe Musashi

Oh dear.

After blatantly acting the platform snob and being called out on it, you now play the victim card and weep about being unfairly accused.

Where, precisely, did I refer to a specific platform?

Though, of course, it should be noted that in the time it’s taken you to squeeze out a theatrical crocodile tear, you’ve posted elsewhere about how you love your PC graphics card that allows you to play games on ‘Ultra’ settings. And, let’s not forget all those other times you’ve made similiarly specific smug boasts also.

Your victim plea is as convincing as the one where you claim not to be a snob.

Like I said, actions speak louder than words. You can say you’re not an elitist platform snob, but you certainly act like one.

I look forward to you shitting more Driveclub topics to talk about frame-rater superiority. Or any other topic that refers to sub-60fps. Why break the habit now, hmm?

JM

JM

#37 3 months ago
  38. Armitage Shanks

“WHEN HAVE I MENTIONED PC GAMING?” on pretty much every thread on this site,ad nauseam…

#38 3 months ago
  39. Panthro

@Armitage Shanks

Speaking on this thread specifically, well done.

#39 3 months ago
  40. Panthro

@Joe Musashi

Wanna know a couple of secrets?

I actually liked The Last of Us, Uncharted 2 and loved God of War 3.
    Dead Rising 1 was awesome, Gears of War 3 was pretty good and I consider Shadow Complex to be on of the best side scrolling games that I have played in years.

I also like playing the Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil 2 and The Oddworld games on my PS3.

Just because I say I love PC gaming and have an opinion that it is better than console gaming, I still enjoy playing on consoles sometimes.

Also, what has me saying I love my 670 got to do with this? It’s an awesome card.

#40 3 months ago
  41. Legendaryboss

That’s far too many articles on one game for my liking and again the headlines are working in the comment totals favour.

#41 3 months ago
  42. polygem

hey p. don´t argue with him. he´s just playing games. it´s a waste of time. pat needs to discuss with him finally – you shouldn´t. not worth your attention.

at this point this is joes site. he has come a long way :D

#42 3 months ago
  43. Joe Musashi

“Speaking on this thread specifically, well done.”

Um, no. That’s not how the observation and perception work. You don’t get to dictate what people may or may not observe about how you freely conduct yourself. You said it, so be accountable for it.

Cowardly side-stepping your own remarks and trying to make that behaviour look like a flaw in others with a sardonic “Well done.” digs your hole that much deeper.

JM

#43 3 months ago
  44. Legendaryboss

@polygem I would lead by example, before warning others off. We not the ones sure about to “dance another dance sometime”.

#44 3 months ago
  45. illuminatusv

@zoopdeloop dream on

#45 3 months ago
  46. DarkSoulz

Killing Forza at 30 FPS at a time….

#46 3 months ago
  47. Nintendo1985

@31 zoopaloop
    Both DC and Forza Horizon 2 are coming around fall 2014. Again, that’s the better comparison.

#47 3 months ago
  48. Nintendo1985

DriveClub comes out October 6, 2014
    Forza Horizon 2 is rumored for November 2014.

Same time frame. Better comparison.

#48 3 months ago
  49. kisame

if there is a game that wold make you buy a xbone day 1 that’s Forza so yeah sorry but can not kill that

#49 3 months ago
  50. polygem

@LB: you either really don´t get what is going on here or you are indeed just playing the puppet for joe, or both. probably both.

but sure boss, if the recent dance with joe and panthro will contnue, you could, you know, just call panthro a catalyst or something. that could be helpful.

:D

this has NOTHING to do with you anyway. you are not to blame. you stopped posting gifs. you have learned your lesson. it´s others, always others.

#50 3 months ago
  51. Legendaryboss

@Polygem
    Whatever gets you through the day sunshine. But once more your jumping to conclusions, my comment never made mention of “both” scenarios. You need stop placing yourself in my shoes, that just never works. Hmm you seem sour, because you keep bringing up claims in the past to use now…. Well you can dwell on that, Peace!

#51 3 months ago
  52. zoopdeloop

@Nintendo1985
    you said it rumored….i heard other rumors though ;)

#52 3 months ago
  53. polygem

don´t worry lb, it is sunshine indeed. not sour at all. i just share my analysis of what´s happening. no need to agree with it but i think it´s ok to do just that.

again, if you are throwing stones, you shouldn´t look too surprised if one day you´ll get hit by one as well. that applies to you, me, joe, everyone.

if you cannot see a pattern in joes behaviour but in mine then, well, then it really only proves my point again.

i am sorry about that but i can´t change it for you.

:D

#53 3 months ago
  54. Nintendo1985

@52 zoopdeloop yes it’s a strong rumor, given that there’s always a new Firza game every November. E3 should tell all and clear things up. Hope to see you back on the message board after E3? ;)

#54 3 months ago
  55. CrazyDave

DriveClub running at 30fps is just uncalled for. Embarrassing really.
    Forza 4 does 60fps on the Xbox360. Sheesh!

#55 3 months ago