Mario snogs Link in John Oliver’s take on Tomodachi Life debate

Tuesday, 20th May 2014 02:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nintendo’s promise to be more inclusive in future games is an important step worthy of serious discussion, but have this video of Mario and Link having a pash instead.

mario_link_kiss

On yesterday’s episode of HBO’s Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, the host discussed Nintendo’s response to the Tomodachi Life same-sex exclusion debate, and brought fanfiction dreams to life with a series of short vignettes of Nintendo characters in same-sex relationships.

It’s a bit of a laugh, of course, and the Donkey Kong bit especially amused me, but Oliver’s voice drips with dissatisfaction at Nintendo’s promise of “virtual eventual equality”. The host isn’t the only one questioning why it’s taken Nintendo so long to make its pledge, or why its reaction now is all talk and no action.

I mentioned this issue to a friend a few days ago, happily reading out Nintendo’s statement on the matter. She wasn’t as impressed as me, and asked why Nintendo can’t be inclusive now. “Well,” I said, “I guess because patching costs a lot of money. And maybe it would be pretty hard, they’d have to rewrite a lot of code?”

She just gave me a face. Sometimes I hear the things coming out of my own mouth and wonder if maybe I should go work in a more morally rewarding industry. Like merchant banking, or puppy mills.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. POOhead

its gay if balls touch

#1 4 months ago
  2. Game Hunter

Ah come on man this is going ridiculous. There are tons of games out there who give you the homo relationship option,like Sims,ME,DA,Skyrim,etc.all that people are doing these days is bashing Nintendo for not including homo relationship.you do realize that this relations are mostly unaccepted in Japan and the whole Asia,right?and showcasing Mario and Link smooching is complete idiocy because the whole industry knows them as rescuers and boyfriends of Princess Peach and Zelda.want homo relationship? Then this game isn’t for you,but the sequel is,because Nintendo apologized and said they will include it in the next game.but who the he’ll am I talking to?this industry is full of whiners these days.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Game Hunter

I’m starting to feel the need of an edit button for the first time after the new site design.I meant to say “hell ” in the last comment not “he’ll”

#3 4 months ago
  4. polygem

link is a girl. team ninja will soon tell you :)

#4 4 months ago
  5. ManuOtaku

@polygem a well gifted, with two big gifted reasons, girl.lets hope for a water temple on it.

#5 4 months ago