Commander Shepard’s first name is probably Sarah, or Jack

Thursday, 15th May 2014 23:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

By default, Mass Effect’s Commander Shepard is called “John” or “Jane”, depending on your allegiance in the BroShep/FemShep war. According to BioWare’s metrics, most players don’t get much more creative than that.

After the defaults, the most common names chosen by players when customising their Shepards are, well, common names, BioWare revealed in a new blog post.

The graphic below shows the most common Shep names by gender, and also by country. It’s interesting how little variation there is, isn’t it? I think we’ve all gotten so used to generically-named video game characters that the moment we see a protagonist we want to call him Jack and sign him up for the space marines.

Officially, BioWare maintains that Mass Effect doesn’t have a canonical default for anything you can make a choice about, so technically, Shepard doesn’t actually have a first name. This list represents what her name probably is, all things considered.

However, on the subject of canon, Liara is definitely the default romance, amirite? I’m going to make BioWare admit this one day.

mass_effect_shepard_names

1. Obernox

Since male shep bored me to death, it fealt appropriate to name him “DudeBro Shepard”

/Pro FemShep for life.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

@Obernox many points for you!

#2 3 months ago
  3. Game Hunter

So true.I named mine Chris,cause it’s awesome.Liara is the default romance?are you f-ing kidding me?they choose her instead of Ashley,that’s way ridiculous. Ashley was my gf the whole trilogy. Liara was made uglier after the first installment.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Brenna Hillier

@Game Hunter Ashley? The racist who constantly spouts poetry at you? 100% died on Virmire. Canon.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Ekona

I think you’ll find the canon FemShep likes to spread it around a little actually: My FemShep was with a different person every game.

You go girl! :D

#5 3 months ago
  6. unacomn

@Game Hunter I picked Ashley too, reaaaaaaaly regretted that, she has the personality of a wooden board. A racist wooden board.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Llewelyn_MT

Since I learned Jennifer Hale was voicing FemShep, there really was only one way to go. If you chose otherwise, too bad for you.

FemShep for life!

P.S. Killing Ashley was probably the best decision I made the whole trilogy. Especially when you see what they did to her face in the alternative universe ME3 (where she allegedly was saved in lieu of a talented bio officer).

#7 3 months ago
  8. Templar0929

@Llewelyn_MT Are you guys serious? Jennifer Hale sounds cold and unemotional. Mark Meer does a much better job voicing Shepard.

#8 3 months ago
  9. Sylrissa

@Templar0929 You’re literally the only person I’ve seen say that, even the people I know that played through as both say they prefered Jennifer hales performance to Meers

#9 3 months ago
  10. bradk825

On your last comment: Yes. She’s a blue alien chick, and everyone wants to be Captain Kirk in some way. This is probably the closest we’ll get, lol.

#10 3 months ago
  11. fearmonkey

When I started playing Mass effect for the first time, I tried the male shep for the first 30 mins and then started a femshep and was amazed at how much better Jennifer Hale’s voice acting was. I played that fem shep though the series, and I use a name that I use in all my MMO’s and RPG’s for female characters, which is unique and different. By using the same name across many games, its like having my own alternate universes lol.

#11 3 months ago
  12. budoshi

my male shep was jack, just like jack shepard from lost lol. and the char kinda look like him, and female was jane. just like they said.

#12 3 months ago
  13. Panthro

Wooooo my name is up there.

#13 3 months ago