Vive le controller: Xbox One interface to be streamlined for a Kinect-free future

Wednesday, 14th May 2014 05:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Now that the Xbox One has been uncoupled from Kinect, Microsoft will overhaul the interface so you can get shit done without having to shout “XBOX DO WHAT I SAY YOU TRAITOROUS COWARD” all the time.

xbox_one_controller

In its current state, the Xbox One interface can be a bit clunky and frustrating; it’s often easier to shout at the Kinect rather than navigate multiple menus with a controller.

It works like a charm if you’re lucky enough to have the kind of accent Kinect enjoys, but if you’re a bit on the Australian, Scottish, or New Zealand side of things – let alone pitch, speech impediments and interfering housemates – it can be a right pain to get things done.

Happily, it looks like Microsoft intends to make the most of its decision to unbundle the Xbox One and Kinect, with executive Yusuf Mehdi telling Engadget that the interface is getting an overhaul.

“We do want to find ways to give you some of those shortcuts and make some of the things that we have with Kinect easier with the controller,” he said.

“You can expect to see us do a bunch of things over the coming months to make the experience easier and easier, even if you don’t have a Kinect.”

Mehdi said Microsoft is “still kind of working through that”, so the changes won’t happen until after E3 at the earliest.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. ChristopherJack

To think people were delusional enough to believe that Microsoft would really try something great with Kinect. It has a few nice gimmicks but it’ll probably never become meaningful to gaming aside from the occasional party/children’s game.

Some of the best ideas like using the camera to implement yourself into the game are incredibly simple & have existed for a long time yet no one yet no one has even tried bringing that back or improving upon it despite the availability of camera peripherals. Yes something like that is just another gimmick but it’s a start, just little things like that can make a big difference.

#1 7 months ago
  2. dazedonthemoon

So why can’t the console have a microphone port to listen to your commands without a Kinect…? Isn’t it 2014? Or am I just being techno-ignorant?

#2 7 months ago
  3. majormayhem70

@dazedonthemoon I was thinking the exact thing. I prefer using the voice commands over the controller to turn on the system and navigate through the interface. Put the mic inside the X1 and allow non Kinect purchasers to have the option as to which interface they want to use. I’m still going to keep my Kinect camera plugged in. I like the fact that it recognizes me and sets up the interface to my liking. I share my X1 with the Mrs. And she has her own set up preferences.

#3 7 months ago
  4. ddtd

@dazedonthemoon They could do that at a cost to system resources. Currently, Kinect’s own hardware handles the voice recognition and translates that info into commands for the X1. If it were done on the system level then the X1 would have to devote resources to listening for voice commands and translating them into commands it can use.

#4 7 months ago
  5. viralshag

It’s quite funny to me that only a couple of weeks ago some people were defending the choice of including the Kinect and how it’s their master plan to support it.

Must be a bit gutting to see it dropped from the console so soon. You can pretty much consider the Kinect dead in the water and a waste of money. I certainly did, very glad I got rid of the console and switched to PS4.

#5 7 months ago