Tokyo Jungle didn’t resonate with US gamers as director would have hoped

Friday, 2nd May 2014 20:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Tokyo Jungle was a hit in Japan, according to the game’s director Yohei Kataoka, and while Europe also took a shine to it, the same couldn’t be said regarding its reception in the US.

201020926_tokyo_jungle

Speaking with Siliconera, Kataoka said it may have had something to do with the players not taking the time to understand it.

“Europe loved it, and we got a lot of great feedback from that audience, but [in] America… that simply wasn’t the case,” he said. “We received a lot of negative feedback for the game.

“It takes time to make an unfamiliar audience understand something like ukiyo-e, right? So it might take something like travelling around an abandoned Tokyo as a Pomeranian a little bit of time to sink in, too. At least, that’s how we saw it.”

Kataoka said with Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day, he wants to bring “unfamiliar cultural elements into a familiar setting,” and developed the idea as an action-platforer so it would be easy to pick up, “even for people who don’t play games very often.”

“We lowered the difficulty of the game, too, to make it accessible,” he said. “Another thing I’d like people to know about it is that, like the films, I want viewers to learn something about Japan.”

Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day is scheduled to launch in North America, Europe and Australia in spring 2014 for PlayStation 3.

1. Obernox

I didn’t pick up Tokyo Jungle because i found it disgusting.
    Short Piece looks awesome though.

#1 5 months ago
  2. MarcoSnow

@Obernox

OK, I’ll bite. How was Tokyo Jungle “digusting?”

#2 5 months ago
  3. jmg24bad

I loved the game. It was great fun for me

#3 5 months ago
  4. Sylrissa

I loved this game, was really enjoyable, but it’s quite interesting to me that it was a success in the EU, while the US didn’t like it.

#4 5 months ago
  5. TheWulf

What was wrong with Tokyo Jungle? It was one of the few reasons I ever liked owning and playing on a PS3, and one of the few reasons I didn’t feel completely ashamed by it. It was even more of an art game than Journey could have hoped to be.

Sigh.

Do I have to put this down to low-brow, knuckle-dragging mainstream idiots again? Why do people keep giving me more proof?! Every once in a while I think to myself ‘maybe I’m being too cynical, and perhaps the average person isn’t actually a sack of organs going to waste, maybe there is some worth there.’

But then I see the herdthink of brand fetishists who fap over the latest trends, zombies with no intellect who invite marketing departments to tap dance on their free will, because it’s not like they ever used it for anything, anyway, is it? There’s so much cloying familiarity out there that’s just meant for these awful people, these horribly insular, unworldly, xenophobic monstrosities.

Yet I think to myself, statistically, there can’t be that many people out there without a trace of self awareness, with barely lower-animal levels of intellect, can there? But I’m thinking emotionally and empathetically, I want to have hope. I desperately want to believe that people can be better than that. Though, statistically, the progress of our entire species can be driven by under one per cent of our species.

And the rest? Well, they’re just sort of… there, aren’t they?

What was wrong with Tokyo Jungle? It wasn’t another modern, military shooter with linear corridors and excessive hand-holding? It wasn’t another freemium, match-three candy game? It wasn’t another soulless, characterless simulation? It wasn’t another overly violent, misogynistic, machismo-laden and testosterone-soaked action adventure? Is that really so bad that it wasn’t those things?

I feel for you, Mr. Director. I genuinely feel for you.

For what it’s worth, Mr. Kataoka, I dug your game. I thought it was neat, and clever, and artsy. It was memorable.

I’m with #2… with all the glorified murder/genocide simulators you doubtlessly play on a regular basis, desensitising you to the murder of other living, breathing, thinking human beings, I have to ask you what, exactly you felt was gross about Tokyo Jungle by comparison?

I smell hypocrisy, because I bet you’re the kind of person who picked Destroy in Mass Effect 3, thus condemning the Reapers (a slave race) and the Geth to death, collectively. And then you’re going to go and say that something like Tokyo Jungle is gross?

I’m sorry, but…

Knuckle-dragger.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Gekidami

^
    Ladies & gentlemen, i give you the most pretentious, elitist fanboy ass hole on the internet.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Panthro

@TheWulf

“Though, statistically, the progress of our entire species can be driven by under one per cent of our species.”

And you are part of this ‘one percent’ I presume?
    Because, I doubt you class yourself as one of those ‘sack of organs who are just there’.
    So please enlighten us, write a nice long article in the forum section detailing all of your contributions to society, with some proof of course…
    I want to see what you “one percenter’s” get up to that make the other 99% of the world so worthless.

Thanks in advance, I know you won’t pass up writing a long article about yourself.

#7 5 months ago