Mass Effect 4 “somewhere in the middle” of development, says Bioware

Wednesday, 30th April 2014 16:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Mass Effect 4 is “somewhere in the middle” of development, according to Bioware Montréal studio director Yanick Roy.

MEnormandy

Work on the next game in the franchise started in late 2012, and if in mid-development, that would put the game up for release sometime around October 2015, according to Eurogamer.

The next Mass Effect game hasn’t been titled yet, so the world is calling it Mass Effect 4 for the time being. It’s unknown at present whether it is a prequel or sequel, but Bioware has promised it will be respectful to earlier games in the franchise.

Last we heard, the game was in a playable state, and the design document is also complete. It is being built using Frostbite 2.

ME4 won’t contain “Shepard 2″ as a protagonist, with Bioware hinting that the game is a “new thing” for the series.

1. wamp

It will be a racing spin-off with Makos
    You hear it here first.

#1 8 months ago
  2. bradk825

“Totally ready but we won’t sell it to you in the same year as Dragon Age. Also we won’t ever make a new Jade Empire for you so stop asking.”

LOL, Kidding of course. I just want this game badly. Oh, and Jade Empire. Oh, and KOTOR 3.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Dark

I really hope they reveal it this year at E3.
    also a teaser trailer for their new IP will be great!

#3 8 months ago
  4. hadamrw

Yay this is good news! Hopefully it is more open world rather than “hub-like.”

#4 8 months ago
  5. mxmassef

Can`t wait to october 2015.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Reddpayn

Waiting for this game too, but im still doubting the e3 reveal because the da3 not being released yet to the stores.

#6 8 months ago
  7. wamp

I think they will reveal the ps4 xone trilogy collection, and after that they will probably show a logo for the next game

@3, I hope it’s everything ok around that IP, but I also thing they could had put it on hold and start working ot the Star Wars title, I doubt they are 4 seperate teams at BioWare Right now:
    1 for dragon age, 1 for the next mass effect, one for the new IP and a fourth one for the star wars game.

#7 8 months ago
  8. TheWulf

I can’t agree.

Why do people hate levels so much? Now, I can understand the dislike of a completely linear progression, I’m not a fan of that myself. But I feel games like the earlier LEGO offerings, along with Ratchet & Clank, have always gotten this right. The fact is, and a fact it is, is that there’s next to no artisanship present within an open world.

This is one thing that New Vegas got right, it just went with a desert for its open world so that it could concentrate on well designed areas with vast barrens between them, thus giving the survivalists the open areas they get off on without sacrificing their own ideals. I can’t actually remember a single interior from Fallout 3, but I remember each one from New Vegas, because they were so expertly made.

In an open world, you’ll usually have terrain generation, which isn’t very fun to play in, at least in my opinion, or you’ll have a real world emulation. What I’ve noticed is that realistic environments and fun to play in ones are quite exclusive from each other, perhaps mutually so. I’ve always felt this way. With a level, you can design it around how the player is going to approach it, you can fill it with novelties, you can provide them with tactical quandaries, puzzles, and new mechanics, all put together like a work of art.

The only thing you can do with a sandbox is figure out how best to crash that car into that lamp post/person/group of hobos, that gets boring fast. In fact, the only sandboxes I’ve come close to enjoying are either a.) player creation sandboxes (Second Life, Landmark, Minecraft, et al), or b.) those with plentiful super powers and collectibles.

Saints Row IV was so fun because it was about mad super-powered parkour and skyscraper jumping on the quest to find the most glowies before your partner, and engaging in the various activities. Like fraud. Fraud was ridiculous. You need to really dial it up to 11 to just start to have fun with it, and that’s why Saints Row IV had appeal to me, it wasn’t the environment that made that game at all, it was what you were doing.

The thing is is that people are used to games with boring, uninspired, completely linear level design, like Call of Duty, so they think that open world is better. I’d invite anyone who falsely believes that to go back and play the Ratchet & Clank trilogy on PS2 (or the PS3 HD collection, whichever floats your boat). It’s really fun seeking out all the hidden things in those levels, and sometimes it requires non-linear progression, as something you’d find on one world would unlock things on others. Essentially, it was a 3D Metroidvania, but with more cleanly established levels. I honestly see Ratchet & Clank as an evolution of what Metroidvania games were trying to do.

Same goes for Beyond Good & Evil, which is equally heralded for having brilliant design, with revisitable areas.

It’s just sad that we’re underestimating the worth of levels, just because there are so many younglings about these days whose exposure to levels has amounted to modern military shooters. So, really, do yourself a favour and play a game with good level structure, and see how happy it makes you, it’s a joyful experience. You can really see the efforts of the designers coming through so strongly in those games, all the little touches, and the thoughtfulness that went into their design.

Anyone can make an open world. But well designed levels are a testament to the best creative designers out there.

So, to the contrary, the less open worlds the better in my opinion. I want more hubs, just like R&C, BG&E, and to a lesser extent, Mass Effect. If anything, BioWare just needs to get better area designers on board, and to give people a reason to want to revisit old areas. It can be done, there’s plenty of proof out there. The answer to lazy design isn’t ‘sandbox,’ because that’s even lazier!

#8 8 months ago
  9. bradk825

@TheWulf I like both open worlds and levels. I’m bi-appreciative that way.

#9 8 months ago
  10. dazedonthemoon

I really hope it’s a sequel. It’s getting quite dull playing trilogies and then always getting a prequel afterwards.

#10 8 months ago
  11. budoshi

Frostbyte 2 ?!? isnt that a little bit old? i mean bf4 use frostbite 3 why not make ME4 a current gen with the frostbite 3..just saying.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Darkfield

@dazedonthemoon hear-hear

#12 8 months ago
  13. POOhead

lol implying theres a difference between frostbite engine 2 and 3

#13 8 months ago
  14. budoshi

POOhead

lol implying theres a difference between frostbite engine 2 and 3

yes because we all know a new next gen engine got no differences then a old gen one. and bf3 is the same as bf4.. roll eyes

#14 8 months ago
  15. undermyrules

theres almost no difference between frostbite 2 and 3 they are past-gen engenes(ps3 x360) a true next gen engines are Panta Rhei, UE4, and i hope a true succesor to cry engine 2…the cry engine 4

#15 8 months ago