Elder Scrolls Online studio asks players to publicly name and shame gold spammers

Wednesday, 30th April 2014 10:38 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online developer Zemimax Online Studios has encouraged players to publicly name and shame those using gold farming bots, an unusual move that breaks the team’s own rules of conduct.

20130805_the_elder_scrolls_online_teso

It follows this new Elder Scrolls Online 1.0.6 patch, which includes a note from Zenimax pledging to put a stop to gold farming bots.

Now, over on The Elder Scrolls Online forum, the team wrote, “We request that anyone who has received a private message they believe to be from a gold spammer to post the sender’s username as a comment in this thread.”

“Please note that our Community Code of Conduct does prohibit naming and shaming,” the post adds. “However, in an effort to expedite the process of identifying and banning the spammers’ accounts, we are making an exception for this situation. We will investigate each alleged spammer account individually to avoid false reports.”

Zenimax has blocked the ability to send private messages on its forum as gold farmers were using the system to conduct business.

Eurogamer adds that yesterdays 1.0.6 patch has not rolled out across all regions. An update from Zeminax explains that while server maintenance was conducted to prepare for the patch in Europe, the update was not issued.

It reads, “The maintenance is complete, and the European megaserver is now back online and available. However, due to an unforeseen issue during the maintenance, patch 1.0.6 was not deployed.

“We are currently investigating the issue encountered that prevented us from rolling out patch 1.06. The previously announced maintenance scheduled for on the North American megaserver is cancelled and will not happen for today, Tuesday the 29th of April 29th.”

We’ll have more once it happens.

1. DarkElfa

Name and shame should never be illegal as the best curb for any activity is for the community to know about it.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Not like they’ll get offended anyway, with names like ”dfgaasdlals” ”mdsflq” etc. They’re bots anyway.

#2 4 months ago
  3. bradk825

Cheating isn’t worth the risk. Buy a game for 60 bucks, start paying your subscription, and a week in get banned for cheating and can’t play the game anymore. Not even close to worth it.

#3 4 months ago
  4. TheWulf

I think the more base truth here is that MMOs aren’t worth it.

Buy a good single player, co-op, or multi-player game for much less than $60, and you’ll likely not feel like you have to cheat (to bypass grind) in the first place. Thus you won’t be at any risk.

Trine 2 (even with almost-strangers) is more fun than I’ve had with any MMO, anyway, in as far back as my memory goes. I think, honestly, the only time I’ve ever really had fun with MMOs is in Champions Online before it was ham-fistedly nerfed to hell (super powers are fun, when they feel like super powers), The Secret World (all that sleuthin’, researchin’, puzzlin’, stealthin’, and learnin’), and server emulators.

The only time I think I ever gave two craps about Warcraft, other than coding addons for friends, is when a friend got a server emulator up and running and we got the heads of the major factions together to sing Baby Got Back. Because, honestly, why the hell not? It was far, far more entertaining than anything Blizzard has ever done with those characters.

#4 4 months ago
  5. TheWulf

I’m still trying to find something I like in MMOs though because I do like playing games with a friend, and maybe if I can find something that’s palatable for my group, I can snag a certain person away from WoW… maybe. Convert ‘em.

But yeah, I’m failing. I’m failing hard. TSW lasted the longest, but the problem there is that the creepiness just got too much for a lady friend I was playing it with.

I really am beginning to question my interest in MMOs, and just how much if it is driven by trying to cure a certain someone’s WoW addiction…

#5 4 months ago