Driveclub: October launch confirmed, new trailer released

Tuesday, 29th April 2014 15:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Driveclub has been dated at long last, following a new trailer and blog update from Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida.

Today, Sony confirmed that Driveclub will launch on PS4 from October 7 in North America, October 8 in Europe, and October 10 across the UK.

In an update on PS Blog EU, Yoshida explained, “We planned for the game to be ready for early 2014 and are committed to delivering on our ambitious promise of creating a truly innovative, socially connected racing game.

“The problem with being ambitious is you have to be prepared to accept there will be challenges along the way. What Driveclub offers has not been previously achieved in this category and because of this, the team needed more time to give you the game you’re waiting for.”

Yoshida also welcomed the arrival of new game director Paul Rustchynsky in February, who has since steered the game through its additional months in development.

Stay tuned for our new Driveclub interview with Rustchynsky tomorrow.

1. bobnice

October 7th? Ouch. Probably will be getting Dragon age and middle earth shadow of mordor on oct.7th instead

#1 4 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@bobnice Tough call man?

#2 4 months ago
  3. Panthro

Dragon Age does look pretty awesome.

Shadow of Mordor looks a little to much like AC which I am burnt out for, but I really wanna play another good lord of the rings game so I’m still open minded towards it!

I’de say a lot of sales will be lost due to them choosing this date.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Erthazus

Looks ok. Plastic mountains… Damage probably does not exist in this game.

#4 4 months ago
  5. tenthousandgothsonacid

@bobnice it’s free to psplus users anyway isn’t it ? Well, the basic game is free and you can upgrade to the full version etc. Either way, no purchasing dilemma for you.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Mike W

what’s up with October 7th?

#6 4 months ago
  7. jomac3db

@bobnice exactly

#7 4 months ago
  8. Dark

Wow October 8? i guess Dragon age and shadow of mordor will be getting my money
    also batman AK likely to be released on october 14th

bad move from sony.

#8 4 months ago
  9. mistermogul

@Erthazus – Easy mate, you nearly posted a positive comment about a console game!

#9 4 months ago
  10. juggy

im really excited for this game, current gen really need car games. so far its only been NFS

#10 4 months ago
  11. NocturnalB

@mistermogul Hey let Erth be! From what I’ve seen today he’s actually been almost kind of technically downright loosely… approachable!

#11 4 months ago
  12. Reddpayn

@Erthazus
    Damage!! Have you played motorstorm?
    But i agree with you that it looks okay. Gonna play it if its free, otherwise it will need a splitscreen mode to hook my interest again.

#12 4 months ago
  13. Joe Musashi

I never knew it’d take so long to put microtransactions into the game!

JM

#13 4 months ago
  14. Legendaryboss

Perfect timing, nothing else will be launching then. Can’t think of anything, post 1 and 8 doesn’t help me tho.

#14 4 months ago
  15. fearmonkey

Won’t be getting this at launch if its released close to the new Dragon’s Age game. being that DA games need a ton of hours invested, I probably wont play Driveclub (unless there is a free PS plus edition after all) before December.

Trailer doesnt look too bad though, I’m willing to give it a try.

#15 4 months ago
  16. artusamak

Another game for October 7th means there WILL be a delay for this or the others. Alien: Isolation, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age 3: Inquisition and now this. Batman: Arhkam Knight is on October 14th…

#16 4 months ago
  17. dazedonthemoon

Did they want to make money on this game? Not with that release dates. June, even July they would have made money… Not Oct 7th

#17 4 months ago
  18. bobnice

@artusamak

Goddammit I forgot about Alien Isolation and Batman Arkham Knight on top of Dragon Age and Shadow of Mordor, I also forgot that ill be knee deep in Destiny as well.

Even thought this will have a free PS plus edition with stripped content, I dont see me even having the time. Anyone know exactly how much contrnt is in the ps plus edition just out of curiosity?

#18 4 months ago
  19. OneLifeCycle

Yup… Delayed an entire year? Sorry, I won’t pay for that. I’m really tired of games being pushed back. This is almost becoming industry standard procedure and it’s not acceptable to me. Dragon Age will get my money and then in September it will be all about Destiny for me. I love driving games, but the release date puts this behind games higher on my priority list and I’m sure this is the case for many. Bad move, guys.

#19 4 months ago
  20. kingy

@Joe Musashi Big lol we know it’s coming as well :-(

#20 4 months ago
  21. boiled lobster

It looks like a mocha blend of some of the more popular racing franchises. I see DiRT (interface), Forza Horizon (environments) and Need for Speed (gameplay). Unfortunately it may end up competing against all of them this Christmas season.

#21 4 months ago
  22. gomersoul

If codies release a ps4 f1 game in October this won’t get any pennies from me. I’m not happy about the lack of racing games for ps4. A delay of nearly a year has taken this game way off my priorities

#22 4 months ago
  23. MrSec84

From a graphics pov this looks gorgeous, looking nigh on identical to the PS4 reveal footage, definitely the best looking console racer to date.

Hopefully it’s pretty feature packed, with a nice lot of cars & tracks.
    This was one of the reasons why I bought a PS4 at launch, but I’ve been happy to wait as it looks like it’s shaping up really nicely.

The whole social challenge aspect of the game sounds really interesting.
    Can’t wait to find out more details.

#23 4 months ago