Destiny may still come to PC someday

Monday, 28th April 2014 18:15 GMT By Phil Owen

Bungie’s Lars Bakken told Eurogamer that adding a PC SKU to the four console versions of Destiny already in the works is too great a task for them to deal with right now, but they may port the expected-to-be-popular game to computers later.

destiny_13

“I wish it was that simple. It’s pretty complicated. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen in the future, it just means it won’t happen right now,” he said.

Bungie is developing all the SKUs themselves, which is what makes it so difficult.

“The (PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360)console SKUs are really important for us and that’s what we’re focusing on,” Bakken explained. “We’re doing it all internally ourselves. That’s a huge endeavour. That’s not something we’ve ever done before.

“So when I’m playtesting and I’m trying to play PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS3, that’s a lot of work. Adding another thing on there is just crazy. It’s crazy to think of right now.”

1. PSOCecil

I thought they said earlier that PC was a pointless platform for putting Destiny on? That Halo made a splash BECAUSE it was on consoles, and Destiny will do the same?

Eh, but either way, as long as Activision’s name is on this at all, I’ll go out of my way to avoid paying any money for it, if I play it at all.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Takeshi

@1 Sounds like PR bullshit.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Panthro

Meh they can keep it, consoles do need at least one reason for a pruchase and games like these (might) warrant that, IMO though the game looks a little overhyped for what it actually is.

#3 4 months ago
  4. polygem

i am superinterested in destiny – in ps4 and xbox one i am not. not even slightly. let´s hope this will become a reality.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Legendaryboss

Wasn’t there a rumour that stated that this game was listed on site for PC, Wii U, PS Vita and PS4/Xbox 720? The latter of which turned out to be true, barring Xbox 720′s official name.

Something to keep in mind, but i wonder where they would find time between developing DLC and the next game?

#5 4 months ago
  6. loki

no thx make games not pc port

#6 4 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Honestly, Destiny looks awful compared to No Man’s Sky. It’s not like we have a shortage of games like that on the PC, not just currently, either, but in the extensive back catalogue of video games that goes back to the dawn of time. Unlimited backwards compatibility is a glorious thing.

And it’s funny to see them backpedal like this. I think that consoles are in more danger because of the PC and mobile platforms now than ever, especially with news going around that the PC is easily making more money on a daily basis than all the consoles combined.

With the way herd-minded tribals have been acting, lately, I think it’d be a good thing if the console just went away, and we just had console-like PC devices that could be connected to a TV. That way, cross-play could exist on PCs, consoles, and tablets, really freeing up things so that people could play games the way they want, on whatever platform they want, without software being held hostage (leading console gamers to have platform-based Stockholm Syndrome).

And really, after being treated like shit by so many console gamers for my platform of choice, I just hope that this branded shit goes away so that we can all just play games again. And have fun. Without all the political bullshit.

#7 4 months ago
  8. mxmassef

@TheWulf
    “PC is easily making more money on a daily basis than all the consoles combined.”
    You are right about that but the money that comes from pc market shares across many companies and so one company like sony, microsoft or nintendo wont gain as much as they should to go beyond console market.

#8 4 months ago
  9. Llewelyn_MT

@mxmassef:
    Everyone should only make games for consoles, because that way the console makers benefit the most! Briliant!

The console makers sell custom made PCs that share components with common Windows PC (maybe except Nintendo), but are somewhat cheaper, just to sell you overpriced games for years and some other services you might or might not want. (I live in Europe and they offer me NFL deal or US cable netowrks. Yay…)

Just ask yourself one simple question: What’s in it for me?

#9 4 months ago
  10. mxmassef

@Llewelyn_MT
    You are also right but as you said consoles have basic pc parts inside (ps4 and xone have amd parts inside ). But my point is that amd doesn`t make any games. When they get money they dont make games like sony ms and nintendo do. But it is always nice to hear when something is profitable and in the end we all gain something from someones succes. ( I m from the europe too :) )

#10 4 months ago