inFamous: Second Son’s Paper Trail missions won’t result in paper power

Wednesday, 23rd April 2014 10:23 GMT By Dave Cook

inFamous: Second Son’s Paper Trail missions will come to a close this Friday, April 25, but developer Sucker Punch Productions has confirmed that Delsin won’t be receiving Celia’s paper power by the end.

It comes from these Sucker Punch tweets:

Some people out there in Internet-land are already pretty pissed off that Delsin won’t get paper powers, but other seem to be fine with that. What’s your take?

Meanwhile, why not check out our inFamous: Second Son guide?

Via DualShockers.

1. KAP

It seemed as though that’s what the extra DLC was going so it’s a little bit of a bate and switch but with that said it’s free DLC so whos to really complain.

#1 3 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

I’d pay for new powers.

#2 3 months ago
  3. Iliad

No complaints because it was free, but if I had known this prior to starting the paper trail I wouldn’t have bothered with its tedious web puzzles for just custom jackets and a mask.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Johnnymaxx

Didn’t like to have this spoiled to me like that… I mean, I am really into the Papertrail thing. It is the best piece of extra content I have played so far and it is really exciting. But now, I’m sad because I already know what I will get at the end.

OK, the main purpose is the story line, not the rewards, but still… it “ruined” a piece of the experience for me. Developers shouldn’t do that, IMHO.

#4 3 months ago
  5. salarta

On the one hand, I think some people are overreacting. The team isn’t obligated to provide anything special in an entirely free mission tree, and the team made no promises about the rewards. For all anyone knew, the only reward would be the story and challenges of the mission.

On the other hand, I really don’t blame anyone for thinking this would result in a new power. Every time Delsin meets a character with a power in the game, he eventually gets that power. Not getting it goes against the expectations people have built up by the game. The missions I played were incredibly annoying too, not for the puzzle element, but because the site regularly wouldn’t work properly. It could take a few hours before the player was able to actually access things they were supposed to do on the site, and at one point, the droid keypad wouldn’t work at all, leading many to think it was only a static image. It’s not hard to see why many people would want a better reward than cosmetic changes after all that frustration.

#5 3 months ago
  6. metalgeardave

For all I care they can do whatever they want. Paper trails for me was/is one of he greatest dlc I have played. A truly challenging and creative experience. I didn’t even care if there was rewards because just getting past some of the puzzles felt like a reward itself. It blows my mind that this is free! Its incredible fan service and I salute sucker punch!

#6 3 months ago
  7. silkvg247

Wait.. do I have to play this before Apr 25th else I miss it?

#7 3 months ago
  8. metalgeardave

@silkvg247 no it comes out in parts. I did 1-5 last weekend

#8 3 months ago
  9. silkvg247

Awesome.. free DLC :) And yet people still complain.. hah!

#9 3 months ago
  10. Panthro

They should make a ‘potato trail DLC’ to give him the powers to pixelate enemies until they disappear.

#10 3 months ago
  11. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s not free DLC though, is it. It’s content that was added late, and in instalments (cynic: to stop people from re-selling in that critical first month on sale) to a game which has fuck all in the way of side missions.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the game, but compared to the first couple of games, it has more or less nothing creative in the way of side missions.

#11 3 months ago
  12. salarta

@Telepathic.Geometry The nature of the Paper Trail missions is much, much different from ordinary missions in this game. You need to use a website specially made for the event, and it’s closer to a mystery puzzle game than the typical action fare of the game’s missions. It’s essentially designed in a way for the community to work things out with each other.

In other words, this is more creative than the previous two games in terms of side missions. Side missions in the previous games amounted to “blow stuff up” and that was it. The only downside I see to all this is that Second Son doesn’t have the ability for users to create their own missions, but then I’m guessing not many people used it very well since setting things up was very confusing for someone completely new to it.

#12 3 months ago
  13. Telepathic.Geometry

@salarta Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for this kind of content. And I’m not pissed off that you don’t get paper power in the end or anything. I’m just saying that it’s not really free. You buy the game and this comes with it, right out of the gate.

If they sold the game without mentioning or advertising the paper trail stuff, and then gave it away months later, I’d say it was free DLC, but as it is, it is part of the sales proposition when you buy the game in the first place (in my view anyway).

Also, all three games have had a lot of generic side missions like destroy all the security cameras, or follow this guy, or prevent muggings or collect the blast shards or fill in the stencil art. But the first two games had a few side missions where you had to follow a storyline a bit, or help out the cops in various situations, or bust up a brawl or help your ice conduit defector or something. Second Sons doesn’t have that. All side missions took me an average of 10-15 seconds to complete. Literally.

Again, just to be clear, I have completed this game, love the series and am currently on my Pure Evil playthrough, but acting as Devil’s Advocate, I think people have the right to criticize this “DLC” as if they paid for it, because they essentially did.

#13 3 months ago
  14. BrokenSpline

@Telepathic.Geometry

There is the same amount of content in all of the series in fact I would say that Second Son has more story or quest missions than side missions which I like and enjoy. The game took about the same time to complete as all the other games side missions and all and these DLC have added upon it which puts it ahead in my book especially since the previous games had no DLC. Infamous 2 had a standalone game for halloween which was awesome but that wasn’t DLC as you didn’t need the Infamous 2 to play it.

#14 3 months ago
  15. salarta

@Telepathic.Geometry I get where you’re coming from, and I can understand criticizing it for the flaws it had such as with the website downtime, but some of the complaints are essentially people saying they demand to get paper powers or at minimum something more than a cosmetic change. When the complaints end up being about rewards they imagined they would get but which the company didn’t outright suggest, that becomes a bit of an issue.

Aside from that, my comment was primarily focused on your statement that this wasn’t anything special in terms of side missions, not the nature of whether or not it counts as DLC. Regardless of whether we consider it free DLC or a part of the base game, it’s still a side mission that’s creative and has a lot more involved in its completion than any other side missions in the franchise.

#15 3 months ago