Watch Dogs requires Uplay on PC

Tuesday, 8th April 2014 01:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Watch Dogs will require a Uplay log-in and client install even when you purchase it through Steam, Ubisoft has confirmed.

watch_dogs

Uplay was listed under “third party DRM” when Watch Dogs’ PC system requirements were officially released over the weekend, but some had held out hope Ubisoft would make its unpopular software optional.

IGN reports Ubisoft confirmed the DRM suite is mandatory, providing the following statement:

“Like some of our other AAA releases, including Far Cry 3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, and Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag. Watch Dogs will be available on Steam and will leverage Uplay to support the games services,” a representative said.

Uplay, like most other DRM services besides Steamworks, is pretty unpopular; its insistence on loading up even when you launch games through Steam is particularly criticised. With Games for Windows Live retiring in a few months, Uplay is probably in the running to hold the wooden spoon of PC DRM, although it faces strong competition from EA’s Origin.

Watch Dogs arrives on PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbopx 360 and Xbox One on May 27, with Wii U release still to be dated.

1. unacomn

Side note: If you already have Uplay installed, there’s a good chance the Steam download will install a new Uplay, because Uplay is stupid like that, that will recognize all of your games, but not any saved game from the previous and still functional Uplay instalation.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Llewelyn_MT

That surprises exaclty nobody with a brain. I didn’t buy any Uplay or Origin exclusive costing more than 5€, so I guess I’ll wait a bit to pick up this title.

The only redeeming quality of Uplay is that you can set it to run just before the game starts and have it shut down when you quit the game. Anyway, I see little sense in creating a separate application just to give out achievements and crap bonus items.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Pytox

@unacomn yea lol uplay is still buggy :s

#3 4 months ago
  4. Panthro

:’(…

When The Stick Of Truth dropped with no Uplay support I thought Ubisoft were dropping this shit DRM.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Kreion

@Panthro
    If you use steam then you can’t complain about Uplay existing, only about the flaws in its system.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Panthro

@Kreion

I can complain, they put it on Steam only for it to open in Uplay…What is the point other than forcing there store on people who don’t want it, its a terrible practice for a company to do. 2 layers of DRM crosses the line, just like GFWL and rockstar social club.

Put it on Uplay and put it on Steam with achievements and without linking it to a uplay account. Thats all they need to do, if people want to use there store they can, they still get money from the sales. its sad they feel like they have to force us because even they know its shite.

Steam’s DRM is fine and I have never had a problem with it, Uplay I have had games go missing from my account, they have had multiple security breaches where I am forced to change my details and it is just generally a piece of turd to use in comparisom to Steam.

#6 4 months ago