Phil Spencer hopes gaming does to Microsoft what music did to Apple

Monday, 7th April 2014 21:49 GMT By Sherif Saed

Newly-appointed head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, hopes that gaming will help Microsoft re-emerge as a consumer company, similar to how Apple changed with music and iTunes.

Speaking to Microsoft’s Major Nelson in the video interview we posted last week, Spencer said, “I fundamentally believe for this company that gaming can be a real catalyst for Microsoft’s re-emergence as a consumer company.

“I go back and I look at Apple and they, on the back of music, became a very relevant consumer brand. Their investment in music early with the iPod and iTunes and everything that they did was an incredible growth opportunity for them and they really sparked consumer delight and innovation in the product, both the industrial design and just the way the whole service worked and I think we’ve got the same opportunity with Xbox here at Microsoft.

“I think we have that opportunity. I don’t think it’s a lay-up; and I think there’s a lot of work. A lot of things that have to be done, but it would be great to be a part of that. If people look back and said ‘this is when Microsoft committed to gaming across everything that we did led with what we do on Xbox One and that was an important part in their history,” he added.

Do you believe a similar thing will happen to gaming as it did with Apple and the music industry?

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Erthazus

Watch out Sony, we got a badass over here!

#1 4 months ago
  2. Panthro

Keep dreaming you delusional butthole.

This guys has his head in ‘the cloud’ < HA.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Eregol

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t Apple vilified for their over restrictive stance on media purchased via them?

#3 4 months ago
  4. AlchemyFire

Balmersoft pretty much killed PC gaming. How many studios did you close down? And then suddenly think that a half hearted F2P – Microsoft Flight and Age of Empires Online – would make everything all rainbows and butterflies again.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Homer2014

I hope not

#5 4 months ago
  6. Panthro

@Eregol

LOL! That’s probably exactly what he means.

@AlchemyFire

Killed PC gaming? Don’t be so dramatic.

#6 4 months ago
  7. AlchemyFire

@Panthro Sorry, meant killed PC gaming within Microsoft, not generally

#7 4 months ago
  8. Major Mayhem 70

It’s better to think big and fall somewhere between great and good, than to think small and fall somewhere between poor and fail.

Phil seems to be passionate about the gaming industry, and Microsoft put him in the best possible position to run with that passion. I think he will be good for the industry as a whole, not just Xbox. Remember, we all benefit from competition.

#8 4 months ago