Amy Hennig joins Visceral Games to work on Star Wars IP

Thursday, 3rd April 2014 18:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Amy Hennig has joined Visceral Games to work as creative director on the studio’s new Star Wars title, EA has announced.

visceral games

Hennig is the former writer and creative director of the Uncharted franchise, and previously worked at Crystal Dynamics.

According to a post on the EA blog, Visceral’s Steve Papoutsis confirmed Hennig will be working with the company on its new Star Wars title.

“As both a colleague and friend, I’ve always admired her approach to creative development – focusing on nailing down the soul of a game first, and then making sure the writing, the gameplay, the design and the art comes together to form a unified, interactive experience for the player,” said Papoutsis.

“This fits in perfectly with what we’re trying to do here at Visceral and Amy’s going to help us continue in our pursuit to make the most thrilling, immersive games in the world.”

Papoutsis said he and Hennig have been discussing what her first project would be, and they both decided upon the new Star Wars game.

“Very excited to share that I’m joining Visceral Games as Creative Director on a new Star Wars project,” Hennig wrote on Twitter.

“I began my career EA almost a quarter century ago (I have the 1991 Rising Star award from Trip Hawkins to prove it – ha!)

“It might’ve taken me 23 years, but I’m back – and it’s good to be home at EA.”

Hennig left Naughty Dog in early March after ten years with The Last of Us and Uncharted developer.

Last year, an EA Canada job listing noted the team was looking for a combat designer for an open-world Star Wars project which may or may not be connected with Visceral.

Even further back in 2013, Visceral was looking for a senior game designer for the next-gen title.

A jobs posting page for Visceral has two positions open which specifically mention the Star Wars title.

Twitter links: 1, 2, 3

1. Gheritt White

It’s as if as if a million Legacy of Kain fans suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Panthro

@Gheritt White

lol

#2 6 months ago
  3. Citrus raptor

Well, 1313 did look like a SW skinned Uncharted, so I’m not surprised that’s what they’re aiming for.

#3 6 months ago
  4. KAP

Microsoft missed out big time, shame.
    But atleast her work will will be experienced by all.
    She’s super talented.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Joe Musashi

Well, that’s certainly added some punch to Visceral’s game. Good for all concerned, I’m sure.

Great to see a talent has stayed within the industry. Companies may come and go, but it’s the talent one should seek out and follow, not a brand.

It’ll be interesting to see what Hennig does within such a richly established IP as opposed to the relative blank slates of the past.

Also #1 deserves some kind of recognition for that comment!

JM

#5 6 months ago
  6. adge_uk

Warp Factor 5 Captain Starbuck – set a course for Hogwarts.

#6 6 months ago
  7. fearmonkey

Id love a Jedi Knight series reboot, or at least that type of game.
    1313 would have been awesome……….

#7 6 months ago
  8. illuminatusv

Good good good …

#8 6 months ago
  9. illuminatusv

@KAP Maybe she couldn’t because of a clause in her contract with Sony/ND. Maybe she doesn’t wanted to work for the direct competition. Who knows! Instead I would say, it is a shame Sony has fired such a talented person in the first place. To spin this into a negative story for MS is just … just …. s****d!

#9 6 months ago
  10. ManuOtaku

Great news and quite happy for her. I hope she can work on other visceral series as well, tough

#10 6 months ago
  11. Michael Ireland

Visceral has managed some good things in their time. Having Hennig amongst their ranks can only be a boon for them. I can’t wait to see what comes out of this.

#11 6 months ago
  12. ercarret

It’ll be interesting to see what this means for Visceral going forward. When I played Dead Space 3 last year, I really wanted Visceral to be better storytellers. Unfortunately, they were not very good, even if they had some interesting ideas. But with Hennig? I’m not a massive Star Wars fan, but even I believe the game could be pretty rad.

I’m also thrilled to be able to play an Amy Hennig game. I’ve heard so much appreciation for her works but haven’t been able to play any of her games, at least not while she was at ND, since I don’t own a PS3.

#12 6 months ago
  13. Telepathic.Geometry

@ercarret I dunno man, DS 1 and 2 had pretty decent stories and scripts. It’s just 3 where everything went to shit.

#13 6 months ago
  14. Mike W

You know every time I see that logo (Visceral) I cry a little bit (not really) because there’s a strong possibility that we may never see another Dead Space game because EA’s fucking greed.

But staying on topic, good for her!!

One can only hope EA gives her the creative freedom she deserves and needs……but this is EA we’re talking about after all. :(

#14 6 months ago