Halo 2 Anniversary: “I think the multiplayer would have to be fantastic,” Spencer teases

Friday, 28th March 2014 09:31 GMT By Dave Cook

Halo 2 Anniversary is rumoured to hit Xbox One this November, and while Microsoft is staying tight-lipped on the project, Phil Spencer has dropped a potential tease in his latest interview.

While the game hasn’t been confirmed, IGN asked the Microsoft Studios Boss what – if it did exist – would be its key feature.

With a smile he replied, “In this fictitious world where that game existed, it’s an easy answer: it has to be just the multiplayer experience that we all found in that first Halo 2 game. If you think about what happened in the franchise and what were the hallmark moments – when did duel wielding come in, when did another playable character that wasn’t Master Chief come in?

“All the things that you and I know about the evolution of the franchise, if you’re going to say one thing about Halo 2, you’re going to talk about real multiplayer. I think you just have to nail that in just such a fundamentally core way.

“Frankly [we'd have to do it] probably better than we did with Halo 1 Anniversary. I thought the multiplayer in Halo 1 Anniversary was good, but Halo 1 never had multiplayer in the truest sense, so it always was going to be something different.”

“If there were something called Halo 2 Anniversary. I think the multiplayer would have to be fantastic.”

Via Eurogamer.

1. Fin

Am I the only one who thought Halo 2 was the weakest of the franchise?

Halo 1 was revolutionary, 2 was booooring, 3 was epic (4-player co-op campaign), Reach was great, 4 was great.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Obernox

I thought Halo 2 was the best. Playing as Arbiter was interesting and the multiplayer is still the best in the franchise. ODST is a close second, loved the atmosphere and Firefight. Halo 1 and 4 were also good.

Halo 3 was mediocre and Reach is absolute garbage.

#2 9 months ago
  3. polygem

huge halo fan right here but halo 4 killed it for me. i am tired of the whole genre though really. close quarter melee mp games it´s where it´s at for me now competitionwise.

#3 9 months ago
  4. CPC_RedDawn

So every console cycle from Microsoft they are going to rehash the same game with a new lick of paint? Just so they can charge you money for a game that you probably already own more than once!

And people say Nintendo rehash stuff yet no one seems to mind when everyone else does it!

#4 9 months ago
  5. mistermogul

Is this gonna happen to every game now when it hits 10 years old?

#5 9 months ago
  6. Kyl Every1

I’m so done with Halo. Halo3 was the best one but goes down from there, Reach was mediocre and Halo 4 was a steaming pile of dog shit.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Major Mayhem 70

@4 The Halo series was and is epic. I like the idea of bringing it back with a fresh coat of paint. Why? Cause ten years ago a child that was three didn’t get the opportunity to play this game. Now that child is twelve and now has the chance to experience a great game that doesn’t look dated.
    Changing the game but holding on to the same idea as I stated above. If HalfLife 3 was to ever become a reality, it would do the developers some good to rehash HalfLife 1 & 2 with a fresh coat of paint. It would help to expand its customer base.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Major Mayhem 70

@7 lol That child would be thirteen unless of course that child’s birthday is after the November release date. Then they will still be twelve . Y’all know what I meant 😁

#8 9 months ago
  9. Major Mayhem 70

On a personal note, love the entire Halo series. Halo 2 multiplayer was my first experience to “gaming crack”. I couldn’t get enough of it. So many memorable MP moments, and I loved the maps.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Kreion

@Fin
    Halo 2 had the weakest story – so to date it’s the weakest one since the multiplayer is no longer active. In terms of the strength of the Halo games for me it’d go 3, 1, 4, ODST, Reach, 2. I rank Reach pretty lowly tbh because I wasn’t a fan of the multiplayer and having previously read “The Fall of Reach” book I felt like the game didn’t deliver as much…

But I don’t think the majority of players had read it so my opinions probably not the majority xD

#10 9 months ago
  11. Lord God King

@polygem I liked everything about Halo 4 except the soundtrack. No one makes the music like Martin O’Donnell.

#11 9 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

I never understood why MS didnt have someone porting Halo multiplayer over to Xbox One for launch. It wouldnt have had to be a full game, just portone of the Halo’s multiplayer over with better graphic and people would have flocked to it.

I loved Halo and Halo 2, I started to lose interest around Halo3, and none of the games After Halo3 really kept me going in Multiplayer for long. I think my favorite multiplayer was Halo2, and if it comes back to Xbox One that would be great. I have the PC version of Halo2 and would love to see it eventually come to PC again. I know MS wont do this, but they should.

#12 9 months ago