Sections

Xbox One reputation system outlined, notifications coming soon

Wednesday, 26th March 2014 14:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft announced last summer it was changing how the reputation system works on Xbox One, and today, the company has outlined how the Xbox Live system will be based upon behavior in the community.

thumbs up

On Xbox One, categories of player reputation score are “Green = Good Player,” “Yellow = Needs Work” and “Red = Avoid Me.”

Microsoft said the majority of its players fall into the Green category.

“By looking at someone’s Gamercard you’re able to quickly see their reputation,” said Micheal Dunn, program manager on Xbox Live. “The more hours you play fairly online without being reported as abusive by other players, the better your reputation will be.

“The algorithm looks to identify players that are repeatedly disruptive across the community on Xbox Live. The vast majority of players do not regularly receive feedback from other players and, thus, will stay at the “Good Player” reputation level.

Here’s what the reputation levels mean for you:

  • “Good Players” – The majority of gamers will fall into this level. As we’ve said before, we have plans to introduce rewards for good behavior and look forward to sharing more in the future.
  • Warnings for “Needs Work” – Beginning this month, some players will start receiving reputation warnings as their reputations drop due to feedback from the community. The purpose of these communications is to remind players about their effect on the community and encourage them to have more positive interactions. These warnings are based on community feedback collected since Xbox One launched.
  • Penalties for “Avoid Me” – If players do not heed warnings and continue to have a negative impact on other players and the Xbox Live community, they will begin to experience penalties. For example, people with an “Avoid Me” rating will have reduced matchmaking pairings and may be unable to use certain privileges such as Twitch broadcasting.

The algorithm was designed so it won’t penalize p[layers for bad reports over a few weeks of play. The system also adjusts for false reports from those who might intentionally file a report due to getting upset over being bested in a game.

More information is available through the Xbox Live Policy and Enforcement page.

Reputation_Screenshot_3 26 14

Latest

8 Comments

  1. Fin

    Everyone always had 5 stars on 360, I don’t see how this will be different?

    #1 9 months ago
  2. antraxsuicide

    @Fin Getting a bad report (looking at you, teenagers) will get actively punished, it seems. I’m a fan of that. It really fixed the LoL community when they added the reputation system. It keeps the shitheads in line (except in ranked matches, but I don’t care about those).

    #2 9 months ago
  3. hadamrw

    I just wish the green progress bar for “good” was 100% filled in! Whats with that extra missing chunk?

    #3 9 months ago
  4. fearmonkey

    Great choice of picture there Stephany :)
    love Borat..

    #4 9 months ago
  5. Stephany Nunneley

    @fearmonkey Thanks! I thought it was rather fitting. :)

    #5 9 months ago
  6. Kyl Every1

    I hate to be cynical but I don’t know how i feel about punishing anyone that pays to use your service by taking away featured you promised them in order to sell the console. Especially considering the decision is based on the community, i have 0 faith in the XBL community.

    #6 9 months ago
  7. Panthro

    @Kyl Every1

    Why? Xbox gamers are so friendly…
    I see it as a ‘treat like a prick and you will be punished’ I don’t see anything wrong with it as long as it isn’t misused and when action does get taken it gets looked into before banning/penalizing someone who doesn’t deserve it.

    _____________________

    The future of Xbox Live = 80% users with a negative rating calling eachother racist names and screaming about rape while the other 20% relish and play with normal people.

    Steam needs to sort something out like this, I spend far to much time muting people in games than I should, luckily it isn’t as bad as when I used to play on console though.

    #7 9 months ago
  8. antraxsuicide

    @Kyl Every1
    Like Panthro said, it’s not okay for the respectful people to have to be subjected to the idiots. And it’s actually very pro-consumer to risk profits in order to make the community better. MS is stuck in this damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

    #8 9 months ago

Comments are now closed on this article.