PS4 to get PSone and PS2 support with native 1080p rendering, new VR demos inbound – insider

Tuesday, 25th March 2014 08:46 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 is rumoured to be receiving PSone and PS2 classic support soon, together with 1080p rendering for select titles, according to an industry insider.

It comes from tipster Ahsan Rasheed, who has an impeccable track record for revealing accurate leaks. However as always, treat this firmly as rumour for now.

He took to Twitter to discuss some new PS4 insight he claims to have gleaned. Our guess is he heard this through the GDC grapevine, but it’s anyone’s guess right now.

It wasn’t a big leap to suggest that PSone and PS2 classics would be making their way to PS4′s PSN eventually, but the 1080p rendering line is interesting. Where this fits within Sony’s PlayStation Now streaming strategy remains to be seen.

Rasheed then turned his attention to Sony’s Project Morpheus VR headset, stating that Sony wants to hear as much criticism of the device from third-party developers, most likely to help improve the product.

It’s not a stretch to imagine Sony taking an Oculus approach to Project Morpheus, by inviting developers to test and appraise the tech to better hone it. PS4 was created using this approach, and it seems to have worked well for the company.

What’s your take on the above?

Via DualShockers.

1. fengato

Oh my lordy – please let there be Tourist Trophy in native 1080!

#1 9 months ago
  2. budgiesmuggler

Gimme gimme gimme!

#2 9 months ago
  3. jonnymelamet

This is great news for fans. They don’t need to pay for any other service to access this game. In essence this looks like a good move from Sony.

However, they have killed any momentum that PS Now had. PS Now is a service that runs on nostalgia. You can play any old game from Playstation on your PS4 via PS Now. By adding PS1 & PS2 support to the console, Sony has stated that PS Now is useless and not required.

Understand this is just my opinion, I personally think they should have waited until Now launched before announcing this. They have essentially cannibalised millions of pounds (dollars etc…) of research. They have lost another avenue of revenue.

Their only viable fresh source of income, in my opinion, is VR.

#3 9 months ago
  4. CycloneFox

This would be awesome. It’s my most eagerly awaited update for the PS4.

Also, Sonys approach with Project Morpheus, just like with the PS4, to ask developers how they feel about it and what they would want to have in the final product is just awesome. Other manufactures could take a leaf from their book.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Fin

“Local PS2 / PS1 support on PS4 w/ native 1080p rendering for select titles”

To me, this reads like you could use PS1/PS2 discs in the PS4, then using a software emulator, run them at whatever res you like (much like PCSX2).

Which is fucking AWESOME.

If this was coupled with the ability to install games directly onto PS4, so you’d no longer need the disc, holy shit, that would be a game changer (though admittedly unlikely as it would cannibalise existing PS1/2 PSN sales).

E3 HYPE

#5 9 months ago
  6. CycloneFox

@jonnymelamet: You are missing the point. PS Now was never meant to support PS1 and PS2 games. It was always spoken of PS3 games alone. Many people have asked about PS1 and PS2 games, but Sony remained Silent. That’s where the first person eventually broke and told about the emulator that is yet hold back (rumor: due to works on upscaling to 1080p capabilities). It is already a fact, that Sony has a code-base for a PS emulator that already runs on the PSP, PS3 (already ran PS2 games at one state) and PSP Vita. But the reason, why it’s not yet added to the PS4 remains to be seen. It’s most likely, that this rumor may be the reason.

#6 9 months ago
  7. jonnymelamet

@CycloneFox Thank you for correcting me on this, but it then leads into another issue.

What is the purpose of PS Now? Most people who are nostalgic for the PS3 still own one, at least of the people I have spoken to. Why should they pay extra to replace a fully functioning machine with an internet service that has yet to be proven? Doesn’t Nostalgia belong to those who had the experience?

#7 9 months ago
  8. polygem

hey sony, if i would have been able to play demons souls on my shiny new ps4, i´d still have a ps4.

to me 1 gen bc is a must.

this is why the new consoles aren´t for me.

this and many other things, like forced subs and ads etc.

gaming is walking some nasty roads these days.

#8 9 months ago
  9. dsr

I wonder if we will be able to just pop in PS2 disk and play the game or we should rebuy them again?

#9 9 months ago
  10. melonbuster1

Ok this is crap.. but that vr tho

#10 9 months ago
  11. Fin

@jonnymelamet

Instant play of PS3 games on any compatible device, instant play of PS4 demos.

You’re expecting everyone to chuck their PS3 and use PS Now instead – that’s not the case, it’ll be a slow transition (the way some PS2 games came to PSN late this gen).

#11 9 months ago
  12. Panthro

Adding stuff into the new consoles is always a good thing since they both have basically no good reasons to purchase either aside for people who just want a new console, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a massive catch like rebuying the games you want.

They will announce some new bullshit about the games being native 1080p and so being worth a re-purchase since It is technically a ‘new iteration’ of the game.

Just prepare to be disapointed, we should all know by now nothing ever turns out as smooth as they say.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Michael Ireland

When they say native support, the important question here is whether this is for digital downloads only, of if it will support discs straight out of the box. If it’s the latter, I’m all over that.

#13 9 months ago
  14. CyberMarco

Too good to be true IMO.

#14 9 months ago
  15. jonnymelamet

@Fin The issue si that PS Now is going to have to start running, especially if the rumors of Amazon and Google releasing game streaming devices is true.

It used to be, 10 years ago, that companies could wait to see if something was going to work out. Unfortunately, in the current, instant gratification led society, the ability to wait is become more of a luxury than a common place practice.

I hope PS Now is successful, and I hope Sony can remain in the console business as they produce some great games.

I am attaching an article which states how Sony is able to survive, but also highlights why both Sony and Microsoft need to look out for Amazon and Google.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Michael Ireland

Guys!

Hey guys!

Cloud gaming is the future, guys!

#16 9 months ago
  17. nikk900

Playstation now will launch this summer, and will be a netflix like service, with a monthly rate.

#17 9 months ago
  18. Rat

These are good news ! …I …I mean “Rumors” !!!!

#18 9 months ago
  19. Kyl Every1

@jonnymelamet
    I disagree. For one, this isn’t announced yet and neither has PS Now been firmly launched… this could in fact be part of that. I don’t think we are takling about true backwards compatibility here either, i think its highly unlikely you’ll be putting a PS1/PS2 disc in your PS4 to play…
    I would suspect they would sell/rent or make them available through the subscription. Just my opinion though. Also, PS now will have the ability to play some PS3 games too.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Kyl Every1

@jonnymelamet
    I still own my Ps3 but I have no desire to hook it up… Also, PS Now is suppose to make these games available on a range of devices including, PS Vita, PC, TV, mobile and PS4.

#20 9 months ago
  21. CycloneFox

@Kyl Every1: Again and again: I don’t know, where people get the idea. PS Now has nothing to do with PS1 and PS2 games, but the service is only supposed to play PS3 games. The servers are working with a cluster of PS3 hardware and every official announcement only mentions PS3 games.

Of course, this made DigitalFoundry curious, who asked Sony about the matter and evetually some internal person from Sonys PS Now division (this is yet a rumor, of course) spoke out, that PS1 and PS2 games will be palyable via the emulator, which releases on PS4 later.

There is already a codebase for an emulator running on PSP, PS3 and Vita, which already ran PS2 games on the PS3 for some time, but had problems and was eventually patched out. Right now, it is likely, that Sony is working on an advanced PS4 version of the emulator, that may have overcome those issues, and have yet just held it back, as they are still working on it, yet.

This is just predictions and rumors of course, but with Ahsan Rasheed, yet another source talks about stuff, that coincides too well with the upper story and that would make sense, if proven true.

#21 9 months ago
  22. CycloneFox

@CycloneFox: damn. missing edit function. xD
    The link should have looked like this:
    Already mentioned here

#22 9 months ago
  23. Grubkiller24

@Fin It’ll probably be a software update where you can buy the games digitally from the PSN store. Doing all the emulation stuff wouldn’t be worth it.

#23 9 months ago
  24. Michael Ireland

@CycloneFox http://www.vg247.com/forum/topic/the-edit-button/

#24 9 months ago
  25. salarta

If “local support” means you can pop a disc in and play the game, then I’m glad to hear this. I ended up having to rip my own PS2 discs and play them through an emulator because my PS2 wasn’t working as well with newer TVs. I’m considering a replay of my PS2 copies of FFX or FF12 soon, after I get through my giant backlog of games, so this’ll be great if it happens. After having played inFAMOUS: Second Son and Ground Zeroes last week, I’m currently on Zone of the Enders HD, I have Neptunia V and Persona 3 as the last of my PS3 backlog, and then I move on to my Steam and PS4 backlog (PS Plus = a lot of games).

#25 9 months ago
  26. tracyis300

Mann! Jet moto in 1080… Better yet!.. Just make a new one with online multiplayer grand prix

#26 9 months ago