Arma 3 console port “basically dismissed”, two years of content planned

Tuesday, 25th March 2014 04:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Arma 3 developer Bohemia Interactive has no plans to bring the military sim to consoles, because it “wouldn’t do it justice”.

arma_3

Speaking to Eurogamer, Arma 3 project leader Joris-Jan van t’ Land said the team isn’t looking to port the shooter.

“We’ve basically dismissed it for Arma 3. From the start it was developed as PC only, and it wouldn’t do it justice – there wouldn’t be an easy port to console,” he said.

“You’d really have to redesign stuff like how the controls work, and the interface, so for Arma 3 that’s out of the scope.”

The developer does like consoles, though, van t’ Land added; Bohemia does have PlayStation 4 and Xbox One dev kits, he said, and “for something that is next, it is becoming much more likely to be multiplatform”. (DayZ, for example, will almost certainly make the jump to consoles.)

In the meantime, between 50 and 70 Bohemia staff will spend “at least the next two tears” working exclusively on Arma 3.

“2015 will be the year when we need to start thinking about what’s next. We don’t have concrete plans at the moment,” van t’ Land added.

“I think it will be something in the franchise [the next game], but we’re not sure what. And the company is growing, as you’ve seen – many new offices – so there are more resources as well to handle multiple [things].”

The full interview contains further discussion on what kind of content and features Bohemia plans to bring to Arma 3.

Thanks, games.on.net.

1. SlayerGT

What a waste.

#1 9 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

‘Next two tears’… these are sad times indeed.

#2 9 months ago
  3. runbmp

” The team did try its hand at bringing Arma 2 to Xbox 360, but abandoned the project after little success.

It is becoming much more likely to be multiplatform”. (DayZ, for example, will almost certainly make the jump to consoles.) ”

Being that DayZ is essentially running off the Arma II engine and the controls are nearly identical, I remain very skeptical of that…

#3 9 months ago
  4. Panthro

Doesn’t surprise me.

The controls would get fucked and so would the gameplay.

A game like this is far to complex for a console, Operation Flashpoint worked only because it was stripped down to hell for console, that’s why you never really hear about them on PC.
    I got them both on Steam and in comparison to Arma II and III, it just feels dumbed down.

Hopefully they find a way to make DayZ work efficiently for console since people are missing out but I doubt it, I get the feeling it would be similar to the Xbox vs PC version of Minecraft… Both games are very similar but the xbox version is dumbed right down, it even tells you exactly what you need to do taking out the exploration and discovery which was a vital part of the PC copy.

#4 9 months ago
  5. TheWulf

What I don’t understand is why there isn’t an officially supported keyboard & mouse combination. Console owners seem to be gamepad elitists, unfortunately.

No, I jest. I just wanted to show how completely mentally stunted the misuse of elitist has become by extroverted brand tribals who hit PC owners with varying derogatory labels just because they can’t grasp that we don’t fap to brands.

But really, I think it would benefit those rare console owners that aren’t brand tribals. I guess they have to exist, no matter how much the toxic, cliquish, easily conditioned, randomly-PC-hating-just-because-it-isn’t-a-brand get on my nerves with their general offensiveness. It’s funny, I used to be very supportive of console owners, very supportive. But their toxicity (because of their tribalism) turned me away from them.

Too many console owners want to be so Aryan, with only their brand choice separating them, and pure homogeneity aside from that. I don’t want any of that. I guess that’s the reason why consoles don’t have varying controls, eh? Essentially, the belief that a platform is the superior platform, due to it being of the superior brand, leads a person to believe that the controller is the superior input for everything. Opposed to, of course, realising that there are different inputs for different games.

I sit and think about how some of them were willing to accept plastic guitars and dance mats as controllers, but they probably weren’t the hardcore brand loyalists. Which brings me to how I feel bad for people who aren’t the vocal brand loyalists on here, the people who aren’t throwing bullshit like “Master Race elitist” at me.

For them, I wish they had a properly dedicated keyboard & mouse available to play ARMA, because I really hate platform exclusivity. I know there have to be good console owners out there. There have to be.

I just… haven’t met them yet.

Going to continue to be optimistic.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Panthro

@TheWulf

Get them on both sides though, I have met some truly idiotic PC gamers in my life…

You just get a lot more of them on the consoles since it’s the most accessible platform.

I am so glad I made the jump to PC in the end though, I have had a lot better experiences playing multiplayer on PC since the vast majority of my online experiences on the consoles was just pathetic trash talk, racism, sexism and just general ‘special’ behaviour from the other players.

I can not imagine playing a multiplayer game in Arma with that type of people, fuck that!

#6 9 months ago
  7. Hcw87

You seem to forget that it’s easier for people to act like a douche when they got a keyboard. Sure, you won’t have as much verbal abuse assaulting your ears on PC, but there are just as many (or more actually) retarded racists, fanboys, spammers, children etc etc, typing away in-game on PC.

It’s easy to just ignore those people both on console and on PC though.

#7 9 months ago