PS4 stock shortage to continue until northern summer

Friday, 21st March 2014 00:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation 4 stock still isn’t adequate, according to Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House, and won’t meet demand in full for a few months yet.

20130829_ps4_playstation

“We’re struggling to keep up with demand,” House told the Wall Street Journal of the PS4 at GDC.

“Conservatively, as we get into the early summer months, we’ll be closer to a full supply situation,” he added.

Demand has been strongest in North America and Europe, the executive said, but sales are strong in all territories where the PS4 is available.

At last update, the PS4 led the Xbox One in cumulative global sales, with 6 million PS4 sales worldwide as of early March, while Microsoft hasn’t said anything since announcing 3 million Xbox One sales in January.

According to the NPD, the PS4 has outsold the Xbox One in the US to date – pretty much the first time Sony has led the console war in North America since the PS2 era, although it’s always had a very strong presence in Europe and especially Japan. Analysts expect the PS4 to close out 2014 with a 3 million sales lead on the Xbox One.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Erthazus

Shortages are everywhere. I just bought a PS4 and I was lucky because it was the last one.

Xbox One’s on the other hand is full stock and no one is buying. No one is even interested. Here where I live, a lot of electronic shops makes discounts for Xbox One but no one cares. No one is interested in the kinect and don’t see why Xbox One has more price then PS4. People don’t even know what the specs PS4 or Xbox One have.

#1 4 months ago
  2. GuuR

Since late January I have reserved a PS4 which would be delivered to me around about now. Still, haven’t heard from this gamingshop. I should’ve just pre-ordered it when I got the chance…

#2 4 months ago
  3. ddtd

@GuuR You should have bought one from amazon. I bought one Saturday and got it Tuesday.

@Erthazus Sure, “no one” is interested in the X1, because 3 million since January = abysmal failure…? I think there is a big difference between the PS4 doing really well, and the Xbox One doing really bad.

FYI, it’s the former.

#3 4 months ago
  4. SlayerGT

@Erthazus I plan to check tomorrow when I pick up Second Son but as of 8 days after launch my GameStop hadn’t sold a single TitanFall XBOne bundle. Crazy to me. I honestly think that’s why the 360 build was pushed. I think it’s moving them just really slowly. I have noticed the ads for TF have increased. Maybe they’re hoping it’s just that mainstream doesn’t know it exist yet? Bet EA is kicking themselves in the teeth with PS4 having nearly double the install base as XBOne. Especially if it doesn’t sell great on 360 either.

#4 4 months ago
  5. OlderGamer

I am of the same opinion as you guys Erth and GT.

Same situation here, every store I go to is out of the PS4 yet as ample X1s. I managed to see this week, a PS4 on the store shelf at Target. That was the first one. Most stores are either taking names for a list or selling out the day they get stock in. A friend of mine is manager at a local Gamestop, says the X1 isn’t moving. There was a slight uptake with TF bundles, but still no where near the demand for PS4.

That being said, I don’t think the PS4 is all that great either lol. Second Son is the first system seller, imo. And even that isn’t a huge deal, I don’t think.

If I had it to do over again, I would have waited. Next gen doesn’t start on hardware, it starts with software. And we just haven’t seen killer software on either PS4 or X1. Flame if you want, but the best software is found on WiiU(console wise). I have been enjoying DKC a lot. And ofc Super Mario World 3D.

Just gotta be patient I guess. Seems to me these next gen systems launched a bit too soon(I know they were over due) but the games weren’t ready.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Michael Ireland

@OlderGamer This is an issue with every new console generation. New releases will be slow until the new hardware has fully established itself and the current hardware has run it’s course (sales wise).

This is why buying new hardware is always a waste of time and money.

#6 4 months ago
  7. Hcw87

Seeing as PS4 has launched across 53 (!) markets, there is no surprise it’s running out of stock. It’s also no surprise it’s outselling its competitor which has launched in just 13 markets.

I’m not saying XB1 will catch up to PS4, but it’s far from the doom and gloom the fanboys like to toot their horn about. They’re both selling great.

#7 4 months ago