Project Spark microtransactions scaled back after beta feedback, Spark Time to be removed

Wednesday, 19th March 2014 11:20 GMT By Dave Cook

Project Spark developer Team Dakota has pared back its microtransaction system following complaints from participants of the game-maker’s beta.

OXM reports that the previous model saw players paying for ‘Spark Time,’ which gave buyers more time to boost their XP gain and to sample paid tools and assets on top of their daily allowance. The whole Spark Time model is being removed following player feedback.

Store items can still be bought individually using in-game tokens purchased with real money, while Spark Power; a paid booster that grants additional upload slots beyond the starting three, has been revised.

Here’s a list of update notes from Team Dakota:

• - We are removing Spark Time
  • - Players will be able to play anything created in Project Spark, without any time limitation or DLC ownership requirement.
  • - Spark Power is being renamed to Spark Premium, and the cost will be reduced.
  • - Spark Premium bonus will remain at 200% of credits earned and 200% of XP earned.
  • - We are changing the number of upload slots to accommodate both casual and highly engaged creators

(1) Users who download and play Project Spark as of today (3/18/2014) will have a default three (3) upload slots after creating their free Project Spark account
(2) All accounts activated via beta key during our closed beta program (played the game prior to 12:01am Pacific on 3/18) will continue to have 5 free slots.

• - Additional Upload Slots can be unlocked by purchasing Spark Premium

(1) Two permanent additional upload slots with purchase of 3 months of Spark Premium.
(2) Five permanent additional upload slots with purchase of 6 months of Spark Premium.
(3) Twelve permanent additional upload slots with purchase of 12 months of Spark Premium.

• - Anyone who acquired a month of Spark Power within the last 30 days will:

(1) Receive 24,000 credits. (the previous cost of a month of Spark Power)
(2) Continue to receive the XP and Credit bonus

What do you make of the changes above?

1. OlderGamer

Microtransactions and Microsofts love for them is why I was eager to ditch Xbox this gen. Unfortunately they are every where. They are less offensive in free to download games, but still I can’t count the number of games that get ruined because of them.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Michael Ireland

Yeah, I know this game was too good to be true.

Good job Microsoft. You just killed my interest in the one game on the format I actually had interest in.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Michael Ireland

@Michael Ireland *knew

#3 6 months ago
  4. Panthro

MicroTRANSACTIONsoft….

Heh? Anybody?…

#4 6 months ago
  5. Panthro

Ofcourse they were going to put harsh micro transactions into a free game…

You would be braindead to think MS wouldn’t go that route.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Michael Ireland

@Panthro It’s more original than some others at least. =P

#6 6 months ago
  7. Panthro

@Michael Ireland

Thanks, I actually developed a small headache while thinking of it.

#7 6 months ago
  8. ddtd

This is much less microtransaction-y than the previous model, and is more in line with what “good” F2P games do. Now you can unlock everything by playing the game, or take a shortcut to unlock higher level content.

The real question, is whether leveling is going to be reasonable for someone who doesn’t want to pay for anything (like it is in a game like Planetside 2), or if leveling is going to be harshly unbalanced for the free users.

I mean, I understand that the idea is to make money, however there’s a difference between getting the player to want to pay, and making them feel like they have to play.

#8 6 months ago
  9. OlderGamer

Like most gamers, I have no problem with paying for quality content. In fact we have been doing it for years. I call it buying a game. Where I have a problem is when a game becomes unbalanced due to trying to encourage a player to spend money. And when spending money to get at all of the content ends up costing the player more then it would if he/she could simply buy the game outright upfront.

The charm of f2p quickly goes away when total in game purchases exceed the expected 60usd price tag for a games content.

I like f2p in that I can try the game before investing. I can also buy as I go. Sometimes games start out great and after a short while, I lose interest. f2p can solve that somewhat. But when a game is asking me to spend 100′s of usd where as a non f2p game asks just 60usd, imo, that is wrong.

And I am not out to get something for nothing either. I understand quality games should be paid for. Companies need to make money in order to continue. But sometimes, some companies have very messed up models. A console(even many PC) f2p games are too big to be sponsored by advertising or even in game purchases of cosmetic items. Therefore they should be pay up front.

You can have my 60usd for a quality, worthwhile experience. But you better not be eyeing my wallet again without bringing me a lengthy expansion or a new game all together.

All of that being said I do play f2p games. And I do buy things in game. But I am not going to play the games with abusive pricing schemes.

#9 6 months ago