Gauntlet reboot revealed for Steam by publisher Warner Bros, first trailer here

Monday, 17th March 2014 13:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Gauntlet is receiving a full modern reboot at the hands of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Arrowhead Game Studios. The game is headed to Steam PC this summer, and will include full SteamOS support.

In a press release sent to VG247 today, Warner Bros. confirmed that the reboot will also launch the WB Games Vault, a direct-to-digital initiative that will distribute paid games across multiple networks from existing Warner and Midway brands, as well as original IP.

Gauntlet will see the return of Midway’s four classic character classes; Warrior, Wizard, Valkyrie, and Elf as they dungeon crawl through monster, loot and trap-infested chambers.

“With Gauntlet we combined the arcade style of the original game with an entirely new look and feature set that includes emergent, local and online four-player gameplay,” said David Haddad, Senior Vice President, Digital Games, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “Gauntlet will be the first title in the WB Games Vault portfolio, which will provide us with an opportunity to access emerging talent within the game development community and match unique skills and experience with our extensive library of properties.”

“To us at Arrowhead, Gauntlet is one of the most defining games from our childhoods, and it’s amazing to be able to work with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on a brand new version,” said Johan Pilestedt, CEO of Arrowhead Game Studios. “Gauntlet is one of the original and best known video game properties and we are looking forward to creating a fresh, yet true to the original, take on a multiplayer masterpiece.”

What do you make of the footage above? Are you a fan of the original Gauntlet? If so; what do you think so far?

1. OneLifeCycle

Gimme, gimme, gimme!!! Dropped so many quarters in this machine back in the day… Good times!

#1 7 months ago
  2. silkvg247

Not really seeing how this stays true to gauntlet. Except it’s four player with the same classes. Looks like a diablo clone. Gauntlet was all about the rooms filled with monsters, and taking down generators. Also some strategy with keys and doors/chests.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Arcnail

@silkvg247 I have to agree, I mean it looks fun and I’ll pick it up I’m sure, but I didn’t see a single thing in there that said ‘Gauntlet’ to me.

#3 7 months ago
  4. The_Red

Wait, a classic IP returns and it’s not a bastardized f2p version of mobiles? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? Someone call EA and hand this IP to them ASAP!

#4 7 months ago
  5. ij 44

excuse me sir, consoles please.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Darkfield

As if being a Diablo clone is a bad thing now. There was a time that people would’ve killed for a game like Diablo, that is how Dungeon Siege, Titan Quest and Divine and Beyond Divinity came to be and being a diablo clone didn’t make them less awesome.

And now that the Diablo III is closer to a diablo game, with this and Grim Dawn on the horizon, I think it is time for me to quit WoW after so many years and enjoy myself in an era action rpg titles. Of course there are other RPG games that I’m looking forward that are entirely different animals. These things pleases me greatly.

#6 7 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Sigh.

Had my hopes up, there, for a moment. Since interesting things were happening with Gauntlet right up to and including the GameCube, as I recall. Then it all sort of stopped, as all interesting things stopped, to make way for the homogeneity.

#7 7 months ago
  8. TheWulf

You’re completely missing the point. Gauntlet isn’t Diablo. It would be as though someone said that they were releasing a sequel to Monkey Island, but it was actually a modern military shooter that had nothing in common with Monkey Island at all besides that the enemies are Somali pirates.

That’s kind of how I felt about THIAF. And it’s also how people are feeling about this supposed new Gauntlet game.

A Diablo game isn’t a bad thing, at all, but… yeah.

If you want to see how to properly evolve Gauntlet without turning it into a Diablo game, just look at where it was going before it dropped off the face of the earth. Change is good, evolution is good, naming something one thing with only minor similarities is bad.

#8 7 months ago
  9. TheWulf

I mean, honestly, couldn’t they have just given it its own damn name? That solves EVERYTHING.

#9 7 months ago
  10. TheWulf

I guess my main point of contention is that they always steal the name of something more unique (Gauntlet), to attribute it to something more common and generic (Diablo III).

Just call it something that isn’t Gauntlet. Don’t promise me interesting things and then pile on the homogeneity. Please, stop doing that.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Darkfield

@TheWulf what I meant was even if it was a diablo clone it wouldn’t be a bad thing. honestly it’s not very clear what it is at this point. There’s just a short trailer showing a few stuff.

#11 7 months ago
  12. GrimRita

if they can pull this off, it will be a welcome return. ‘The green elf is about to die’ I remember so well from my days playing….. Thank god its not in EAs hands

#12 7 months ago