Xbox One controller will be compatible with PC, Penello debunks “100% wrong” rumours

Friday, 14th March 2014 10:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One controllers were rumoured to be incompatible with PC, following claims that Microsoft was planning on releasing a PC-only pad. The company’s director of product management Albert Penello has now stepped forward to debunk the claims.

It follows one gamer’s how-to homebrew guide, which shows you how to make Xbox One controllers work with PC games.

OXM reports that a rumour began yesterday over on Next in Gaming, that Microsoft was planning on locking out Xbox One pad compatibility on PC, because it was developing a PC-only model.

“This is 100% wrong,” Penello stated on NeoGAF “When the drivers become available, they will work with the existing controllers. There is no plan to do a new, separate controller that only works on Windows. It will be the same as it is on Xbox 360 – the Xbox One controller you have today will work.

“That’s not to say that we may not ship also PC SKU of the Xbox One controller, much like we do on Xbox 360.”

Further on; he added that the pads will work with PC in wired mode as standard – similar to how Xbox 360 controllers work with Steam now – and went on, “How wireless will/could work is TBD. There are some options we are looking at.

“No more updates on the timeframe beyond what’s been publicly stated – the plan is this year. When the update comes out and we have more details, I can explain the holdup.”

What do you make of the above?

1. _LarZen_

This is great news. There are a few games I use a controller with on my PC and the XBO one is so superior to the X360 version. Just hope they get the driver out sooner then later.

#1 7 months ago
  2. ChristopherJack

The way they designed it, I could bet we’ll need adapters for wireless controllers again. Proprietary bullshit… It’s everywhere on Microsoft consoles.

#2 7 months ago
  3. kisame

ill get the wired model every day
    at last the cable started to give conectivty probems after 3 years wile the wireless adapter died in 4 month from overhiting

#3 7 months ago
  4. GuuR

@kisame Experienced the same problems and I’ve been using my Xbox 360 wired controller on PC ever since. Wired is the way to go imho.

#4 7 months ago
  5. livewired500

Too late MSFT. Already have a PS4 controller working on both my PC’s and with bluetooth. But thanks. But of course I’ve always prefered the DS controller to the 360 pad. I had to buy a Bluetooth dongle for one of the rigs, but it was only about $10. It was easier to install than the 360 wireless receiver, that’s for sure.

There is a bonus to the PS4 controller in that you can use the touchpad for your mouse. So all those games that require some mouse input before getting into the game is really easy from the couch now. I wouldn’t play Civilization with it or anything, but it is handy.

If anyone wants to know how, this is the article I used: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459529-how-use-dualshock-4-pc/

If you prefer the MS pad though, hopefully they will get it working soon. The xbone pad is much better than the 360 pad.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Kreion

@livewired500

…why, just why did you need to start that post with “Too late…”. The rest of your post already makes it clear that you had no intention of ever using an X1 pad over a DS. That’s just pointless aggression -.-

Personally I’ve never liked wireless controllers – I can see why some people might need them but I never sit more than 1-3 meters from my monitor absolute max. And Wireless controllers come with a whole host of issues.

#6 7 months ago
  7. livewired500

@Kreion
    Actually, if the xone controller was compatible with PC from the launch of the system, I probably would have bought 2 or 3 of them.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Tormenter

Why do people actually care about an x180 pad?

MS THEMSELVES can’t even be fucking bothered to write a MEASLY driver for it forcing a homebrew effort.. BUT YOU FUCKING BUY THE CONTROLLER ANYWAY… HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU PEOPLE.

You should be telling MS to shove their HW.. why are you giving them profit when they obviously do give a fuck about you..If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO USE MS, the 360 pad is fine and there is no difference in functionality AND THERE IS A DRIVER FOR IT.

You fucking idiots with too much money AND NO FUCKING BRAINS.. Tell me…If they were physically spitting on you instead of just the metaphorical.. would you still give them money?

#8 7 months ago
  9. Tormenter

“they obviously DON’T give a fuck about you”…..

Someone explain the advantage to not having an edit button.

#9 7 months ago