Titanfall PC’s 48GB install size explained by Respawn

Tuesday, 11th March 2014 12:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Titanfall requires a 48GB installation on PC, and developer Respawn Entertainment has now explained the install size.

It follows our big Titanfall review round-up. Get the scores through the link.

ogretitanfall

The Xbox One edition only requires a 17GB install, but it still takes bloody ages. My copy’s installing as I write this.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Respawn’s lead engineer Richard Baker explained that 35GB of that total install size is to do with uncompressed audio.

The idea is that by having uncompressed audio, PCs will have to spend less CPU power on decoding audio, thereby ensuring a slicker experience.

“We have audio we either download or install from the disc, then we uncompress it,” he told the site. “We probably could have had audio decompress off disc but we were a little worried about min spec and the fact that a two-core machine would dedicate a huge chunk of one core to just decompressing audio.

“So… it’s almost all audio… On a higher PC it wouldn’t be an issue. On a medium or moderate PC, it wouldn’t be an issue, it’s that on a two-core [machine] with where our min spec is, we couldn’t dedicate those resources to audio.”

What do you make of the above?

Titanfall hits Europe March 14.

1. DreamCleaver

Or maybe just increase the minimum requirements?

I’ve heard they included all the audio, even the various languages. Forgot about the gamers with SSDs? Seems kinda dumb.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Erthazus

35 GB is audio files. That is fucking unbelievable but at the same time Sound quality is fantastic in this game.

#2 9 months ago
  3. CPC_RedDawn

No no and more no.

I think you may find that some of that 48GB will be PRE INSTALLED DLC which you will need to pay to unlock in a few months heck even a few weeks.

No way does a crappy game with terrible textures, piss poor A.I, blocky unrealistic sounding guns terrible sound (seriously I have a 5.1 speaker system powered by a Sound Blaster Z card and even COD4 sounds better than this). There is no way upto 35GB is uncompressed audio, NO WAY.

The game only has 15 maps, a handful of voice overs, few gun sounds, and the titan sounds… REALLY 35GB! I know audio files can be massive in size true but for a game that has SOOOOO LITTLE on offer (yes I said it so little) and then games like MGS4, Uncharted series which all contain MUCH MUCH more sounds, voice overs, etc and also use uncompressed audio files and yet only take up 25GB on a Blu-ray disc? These games are waaaay longer than TITANFAIL as well

#3 9 months ago
  4. deathm00n

Wouldn’t a loading screen be able to solve this problem? Uncompress only the audio that is going to be used for a particular map while loading the map. At least that’s what we do in Unity where I work…

#4 9 months ago
  5. DreamCleaver

@3 Probably WAVs upsampled to 192,000 Hz, 32-bit and minimum of 2 channels. That’s a lot of bitrate.
    @4 Perhaps they’re incompetent?

#5 9 months ago
  6. deathm00n

@DreamCleaver I wouldn’t call the guys who made this game imcopetent, like COD or not (I don’t) they need to be recognised for their work.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Ge0force

It’s probably done to bully people into buying the Xbox One version, since Titanfall is supposed to be THE Xbox One system seller.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Panthro

@Ge0force

Size of a game would never bully me into buying an X1, I will take size and quality over the Xbox Potato all in one any day.

#8 9 months ago
  9. deathm00n

@Ge0force People would find out if the size was made up just for this, you can’t create memory size out of nowhere without creating A LOT of junk all over codes, textures and models.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Erthazus

@CPC_RedDawn Titanfall has much better sound quality then in Uncharted or MGS4.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Tr0n

50 GB is nothing. Call me once we get to TBs.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Panthro

@Erthazus

You may be one of my PC master race brethren but bring MGS into this and I will fuck you up.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Panthro

@Panthro

DM, didn’t read his post. my bad.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Erthazus

@Panthro MGS is a great series. I’m not saying anything about it. I’m just talking about technical stuff.
    Titanfall has fantastic sound. It has Dolby True HD and High Definition Audio Range technology with full 7.1 support.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Xbone

And I tho that it will be impossible to find a less competent dev team than DICE but RESPAWN beat them. Gratz.

#15 9 months ago
  16. mehran

why not put multi language support in a seperate DLC? ala nino kuni

#16 9 months ago
  17. Llewelyn_MT

I call BS. 35 GB is 60 hours of CD quality audio! I doubt a multiplayer-only title with a handful of rather small maps requires as much. It’s just yet another retarded “anti-piracy” measure. Not the first and not the last company to do that.

#17 9 months ago
  18. silkvg247

Yeah.. not wasting 50gb on my SSD for something I don’t even need. I think it’s time for devs to start giving installers options so that high spec gamers don’t have to waste so much space on very expensive drives.

#18 9 months ago